ACO LMP1 & LMP2 Regulation Changes | FerrariChat

ACO LMP1 & LMP2 Regulation Changes

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Apr 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #1 jknight, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    Just announced by the ACO:

Analysis of the performances of the diesel-engined and petrol-engined prototypes after the Sebring and Barcelona races showed that the diesel-engined cars still enjoyed an advantage. In order to guarantee the equivalence between the different engines, the ACO, in keeping with its undertakings, has decided to impose the following adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes from the Spa-Francorchamps race onwards:

- Reduction of the orifice of the fuel flow limiter of the autonomous fuel tank (the current diameter of 38mm for diesels will now be the same as that for petrol-engined cars: 33mm).
    - An additional 30 kilos will be added made up of one or more pieces of ballast sealed by the scrutineers. Once the ballast has been removed the car must not weigh less than 900 kilos.

Clarification: The technical regulations governing the LM P1 and LM P2 prototypes oblige manufacturers to homologate the car or the modifications of the characteristics mentioned on the homologation sheet before an event.

For the Spa-Francorchamps race on 8th May, the delay between:
    - the homologation of a new car and the start of the event (preliminary scrutineering) must be 30 days minimum.
    - the homologation of modifications of characteristics mentioned on the homologation sheet and the start of the event (preliminary scrutineering) must be 15 days minimum.

(Automobile Club de l’Ouest)

my take on this (for what it's worth!):

First being that the 15 days is just prior to scruteering at Spa. Peugeot is running 2 cars only against the two AMR cars at Spa so they will get a change to see how this all plays out in actual racing conditiions. Sure Audi can test the R15's at their track in Ingolstadt or in Spain BUT...Spa would provide the actual race challenges (otherwise their encounter with other cars won't be until 10 June).

Second, regarding the non-diesel Acura and the R10's -> The 2 races in which we have seen a diesel-petrol battle are a bit special: the Acura is not your standard LMP1 petrol car (small engine and cornering speeds the drivers can not cope with) and in Barcelona the diesel Audis were in the hands of unexperienced drivers - only one to have driven it in competition was Albers at Laguna Seca......definitely none the caliber of one Mr. McNish.

Third, regarding the fuel flow limiters -> the diesel fuel these cars are using is DEFINITELY not the Shell diesel fuel that goes into my trucks! The fuel being used contains natural gas as I recall. (using the "big truck" pump at a truck stop, I can fill my vehicles at a very rapid rate compared to what you find at a regular station. Point being, there are ways to get the diesel into a tank quickly.)

Fourth, there is really no way to get a diesel and petrol LMP car on the same playing field - the engines are vastly different. So, why not let the engines be developed to their best and run LMP1 Diesel and LMP1 Petrol? Each of the MAJOR manufacturers offer diesel engines in their road cars so why not exploit their products (even Porsche is putting a diesel in the Cayman).

Entry list for Spa in a couple weeks is currently at 51, sure would like to see it at 54 (are you listening Audi??).

my take on the weight issue:

If in fact the R15's minimum weight is 900 kg and add the 30 kg per ACO and the 908's minimum weight is 925 kg and add the 30 kg it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Peugeot is already 25 kg heavier than the Audi right out of the box!

I think this directive by the ACO IS IN AUDI'S FAVOR! ! !

Here's the key wording on this one .... The rules don't say that the minimum weight for diesels is 930 kg from now on. The cars will be weighed to see if they are above 900 kg and next 30 kg must be added.

Carol