Yikes! Leaky Fuel Hose on Mondial QV | FerrariChat

Yikes! Leaky Fuel Hose on Mondial QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Apr 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #1 cockrill, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yesterday, between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm or so, my Mondial decided to spontaneously begin leaking fuel. Not bad, just a steady drip, drip, drip. What is strange is that the car was just sitting in my garage. I started it the day before yesterday and pulled it out of my garage for a washing, but didn't drive the car.

I traced the leak to the hose running from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. I have actually been sourcing fuel hoses, but it looks like I'm going to have to run to Napa during lunch to quickly find something that'll work. (I also want to go ahead and replace the crossover hose, if I can find a replacement locally.)

I've read every post regarding fuel hose replacement, but haven't seen any specifics regarding which hoses can be purchased at the common chains (Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations regarding which store I should check out first, and/or which hose I should ask for? The reason that I ask is because many of the workers in the stores around me get all glazy eyed if I ask them to try to find anything that isn't listed in their comptuer by auto make, model, and year.

Thanks.

--Jeremy

p.s. Everyone, replace your old hoses! Don't wait!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #2 SonomaRik, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    lucky catch: would hate to see the consequences of NOT finding such. Was it the smell first or puddle on the floor that got you.

Also, good advice on checking hoses wires and such. Should be an annual at the least.

rik

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Careful on the hose selection......

Fuel hose ratings for USCG (US Coast Guard)
    Type A1 (A= flame test 1= Fuel in line all the time)
    Type B1 (B= no flame test)
    Type A2 (2= Fuel fill only or exhaust/water)
    Type B2 (See types above)

Cabela's sells type A1 hose 5/8" id. ~ $2.75 / ft

Regards Wayne

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    The smell prompted me to begin tearing apart the garage. I assumed I had simply spilled something, as I had just cleaned the garage the day before. (And hadn't driven the car in a while.) I eventually looked under the car, and saw the small puddle of fuel. Luckily, the gas leaked out on a large metal drip pan that I use for oil changes that I store under the car, so no gas actually got on my floor.

I recently purchased the car and have been going through it before driving. (I've driven it twice, for a total of about 2 miles.) I knew that the fuel lines were OEM, and suspect that the timing belt is 25 years old as well. Obviously I'm changing out EVERYTHING before driving the car. I had planned on starting the fuel lines in a week or so, and had begun sourcing the hoses. I never expected the car to start leaking without my driving it, however.

5. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Wayne:

Thank you very much!!! This is exactly what I needed to know. I didn't even think about Cabela's / Bass Pro Shops.

--Jeremy

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 miketuason, Apr 23, 2009
    Jeremy, I did the same thing on mine except I went with steel braided hose just for little extra protection as it is expose under the car for debris and stuffs. Mine wasn't leaking but showing signs of cracks.

7. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #7 cockrill, Apr 23, 2009
    I've re-read many of the fuel hose replacements posts, and I'm a little confused. Looking at the attached diagram, the hoses I've highlighted in red do not have to be high-pressure hoses, correct? They are "upstream" of the fuel pump. Why, then, are people insisting on purchasing high-pressure hoses for these applications? Are there benefits to using high-pressure hoses?

Thanks.

--Jeremy

8. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Almost every hose beyond the fuel pump in a Kjet CIS is under 80 to 100+ psi, with exception of the tank return line. Most other hoses are in constant contact with fuel, ...cheap insurance.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    On thing about #4 in that diagram, it can fail (as mine did) if an engine mount fails resulting in the shift linkage rubbing on the hose.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

O'Rileys stocks 200PSI hose. I used it everywhere except the crossover. I found that at Napa in a close enough size. Don't tell them you are looking for a Ferrari part.

JimboMondial likes this.
  11. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Yeah, I saw that the hose is awfully close to the shift linkage. It appears that a "yellow-strip" hose is installed on the car currently. I didn't replace it last night as it looks as if the Napa hose I bought is too large, even though I bought one that others have used... I may go ahead and use the hose I purchased, but I'm going to see if I can find something that's a little better fit.

12. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Mike, I really like the looks of your braided hoses. I replaced my busted hose last night, but I'm not happy with the new hose. I'm sure that the new hose will be fine for a number of years, but the old one failed where it rubbed against the fuel tank. I also saw evidence of the crossover hose rubbing against the shift linkage. I would like the extra protection against rubbing that the SS lines provide.

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Careful with the stainless braided. If it is a quality product it will cut through a gas tank or shift linkage if it rubs against it, works as good as a hack saw.

14. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Good point, Dave. Thanks!