6 Drivers Cited On Speed Racing Charges | FerrariChat

6 Drivers Cited On Speed Racing Charges

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Hammer, Apr 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hammer

Hammer Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2006
    Portland - Seattle
    Full Name:
    RK
    #1 Hammer, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GRANDE RONDE, Ore. -- Police said they pulled over several sports cars simultaneously for speed racing near Grand Ronde on Thursday morning.

Oregon State Police stopped the six exotic sports cars, which included a Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche, on Highway 18, Sgt. Brad Hessel said.

OSP trooper David Petersen responded to a call regarding drivers of 10 exotic sports cars who were racing, driving faster than the speed limit and passing dangerously on Highway 18 at about 11:15 a.m., Hessel said.

Petersen set up on Highway 18 ahead of the cars and watched as five of the cars passed him, traveling well over the speed limit, Hessel said.

As Petersen accelerated to follow the five cars, a sixth car passed him traveling at a high rate of speed, Hessel said.

Petersen stopped all six of the cars and cited the drivers for speed racing. The drivers were cooperative and told him that there was a group of about 20 drivers in exotic sports cars traveling together on an annual road trip, Hessel said.

Two hours later, one of the cars Petersen cited –- a 2004 Lamborghini – was stopped again on Interstate 84 eastbound for going 90 mph in a 65 mph zone, Hessel said.

http://www.kptv.com/automotive/19264180/detail.html

Be careful out there...

Hammer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Anouther one of those goofy little "OPERATING EXPENCES" potential buyers should budget for! ;)

3. ALTA ADAM

ALTA ADAM Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That must have been a fun batch of tickets to write! If they do this each year, you would think they would have better "detection" methods!

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I wonder who's "annual event" this is??

The F40 appears to have an out of state plate, but I can't tell from where.

This is not what we need to see in the media right now, especially with Cannon Beach next week.

5. Hammer

Hammer Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2006
    Portland - Seattle
    Full Name:
    RK
    #5 Hammer, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    I did a "2nastie" search on fchat and there is a person using that handle that post a lot in the Canadian section... I can't tell what plate that is on the f40.

Hammer

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think their is a group out of Alberta that are customers of ZR Auto that make an annual trip to Las Vegas or something. I think that F40 maybe Zahir's the owner of ZR Auto.

http://www.zrauto.ca/

Might check the Canada forum and see if there is mention of a road trip.

7. 503Alex

503Alex Karting

Jan 24, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex Krueger
    +1, looks like an Alberta plate on the F40.

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Damn Canadians.....:D:D:D:D

9. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Funny,

My brother messaged me a few hours ago from this area, just an hour south of me and asked me why would there be a whole bunch of Ferraris and Lamborghinis out here driving around. Apparently he was driving next to them all. Must have been all of these guys. Crazy to speed in Oregon because cops royally suck out here and the speed limits are set to crawl pace everywhere you go.

10. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    100% correct it is ZR and his "buddies" His F car has the Alberta Calgary plate on it...

This is not the first time, nor the last time they will speed in the USA...there is no reason not to, the tickets DO not go on their Canada driving record...and since they are just infractions in the State, there are no Warrants issued for non-payment...no need to take care of it...all that happens is a fail to pay notice and then suspension of their driving privledges in the State...BUT since they are NOT a USA citizen...they can not be arrested AND/OR criminaly cited for driving on a suspended status if and when they return to the States..

Is very very common with Canadians cited for DUI here in Washington that do not show up for court..not really a dam thing the law can do about it as written..just have to hope they pay on the "honor system"..

NOW try this in Canada as a USA guy..HELL NO..

As soon as you try to cross the boarder with an outstanding ticket are DUI..you are refused entry till it is paid...AND YES they will take credit card right there and then..IF you have a DUI conviction from the states in the last 10 years, YOU CAN not enter Canada at all...WITH a vehicle..

SO why dont we do the same..??

11. 993 911

993 911 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jack D
    #12 993 911, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Sounds like a hell of a drive. That location in the picture is right after the 4 lane, 3/4 mile straight away. Bet they were really cruising (130+)

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Cryin' shame is all I can say Roy. See this story of a Canadian that hit some kid on a bicycle and ran back to British Columbia and cannot be extradited back!

http://www.kirotv.com/news/18862703/detail.html

Loophole Lets Foreign Drivers Skip Paying Tickets
    Chris Halsne
    KIRO 7 Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter

Posted: 10:32 am PST March 5, 2009
    Updated: 10:34 am PST March 6, 2009

SEATTLE -- An exclusive KIRO Team 7 Investigation cracks open an international controversy -- uncovering how thousands of foreign drivers break our traffic laws with zero consequence.

DUI, reckless endangerment, speeding -- you name it -- they get away with it. We begin as Investigative Reporter Chris Halsne unravels a violent hit-and-run in Everett.

Last October, a silver sport car zips into a parking lot along Everett Mall Way and, bam, runs down a pair of 13-year-old boys riding a bike down the sidewalk. The driver flees, but quick-thinking witnesses write down a British Columbia, Canada license plate (199 EJG). Halsne had no trouble finding the suspect, so why didn't Everett police bother?

CONTACT GOV. GREGOIRE
    Share your thoughts about whether Washington should sign a new agreement with B.C. that covers traffic tickets. Contact Gov. Gregoire

“I was holding my side and it hurt really bad,” accident victim Cody Christmas told Halsne. “Then he got out of his car and started cussing at me and yelling at me.”

Chrisman felt lucky to limp away from that moment with just a bent bike wheel, a badly bruised knee, and an injured back.

Witnesses to the hit-and-run accident say Cody didn't do anything wrong; an out-of-control driver was to blame.

Cindy Williams saw the entire crash unfold.

“The kids were on the sidewalk next to him. He had to pass the kids to take the right. There's no way he couldn't see them. We saw them. They were in front of us. No way he could have missed that.”

Williams also says the suspect didn’t want to stick around.

“My husband told the guy he needed to stay because we needed to call the police and make sure everyone was OK, make sure the kids were going to be taken care of and he threw his arms up and drove away. He was not interested in staying. Not interested in filing a police report. Not interested in doing his part in taking responsibility for what he did."

Not that day, nor months later. KIRO Team 7 Investigators tracked down the suspect, holed up inside a secure high-rise in New Westminster, B.C. The still-dented Mercedes Benz SKL that struck Cody sat nearby in his private parking space.

Investigative Reporter Chris Halsne was left standing outside by the security phone box.

Halsne: "Why not come down and tell us what happened?"

Suspect: "Cause I don't want to come down. I don't want to talk to you. There's not a problem with me. This has been misconstrued and I was treated like a posse was after me when it happened and I'm not going to come down. This is over as far as I'm concerned. Not a chance. Go away."

The mystery man is 67-year-old Angelo Wayne Bertoia. Everett police wrote up a report naming him as a suspect, but never even called the guy, and they closed the case with no charges, no ticket.

Detectives told Cody's mom, Dena Lovtang, it's because Bertoia is Canadian.

“I said, 'You've got to be kidding me!' He said, 'No, that's the law and it’s not worth it. There is nothing we can do because they won't cooperate.'”

The Canadian government has agreed to help U.S. law enforcement with cross-border felony criminal cases, but not with enforcing traffic infractions. That’s because Washington state and B.C. have never signed what’s called a reciprocity agreement.

As a result, an exclusive computer analysis, conducted by KIRO Team 7 Investigators, found that of the 18,122 tickets issued to B.C. residents in less than two years, at least 3,220 B.C. resident tickets also turned into warrants for "failure to pay." That means the violators repeatedly ignored requests to pay the fines.

A reciprocity agreement would force Canadians to deal with their tickets when caught in the United States breaking traffic laws or face losing the right to drive back in their home country. As it stands now, paying fines or coming to court is voluntary.

Those who witnessed Angelo Wayne Bertoia run into Cody on his bike want that to change.

Cindy Williams remains fired up about this accident months later telling us, “I understand we probably can't invade Canada and go get him and drag him out, but if comes back, he should definitely have to face the consequences of our law.”

Cody Chrisman has his own opinion of Bertoia.

"When you come down here and hit somebody, then you get scared and run back to your own country, it's kind of cowardice."

Everett police tell us they have reopened this hit-and-run investigation. That comes after KIRO-TV raised questions about the accuracy of the original on-scene investigation and why the Snohomish County Prosecutor's Office was excluded from reviewing the matter.
    Copyright 2009 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    bwahahahaha thats classic

14. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian

15. ALTA ADAM

ALTA ADAM Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That is just not fair or safe! I agree wholeheartedly that we should do the same thing down here! Guess it was a nice story to tell the family when the trooper got home though: Hi Honey I just pulled over $3Mil in cars in one stop this afternoon! Oh and they won't have to pay for the tickets and I still get credit. What's for dinner?

EDIT: With today's falling vehicle prices, change that to $1.5M HAHAHAHAHHAHA

16. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
  17. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats

18. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats

The BADBUL guy had the Murcie Roadster that last year, on one of the "runs" in Arizona left the roadway at high speed and totaled the car. Also same person that recieved "issues" on the Lamborghini Giro run through California a few years back when I was on the run. I also know that they have had issues in Canada due to their posting of high speed runs of their cars in Calgary area.. on YOUTUBE

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #21 f355spider, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

20. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats

21. kaoss

kaoss Formula 3

Jul 29, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    KAOSS
    I first met Zamir and his group at the ROTB in 2005...there were I think 3-4 cars in his group all down from Canada, Zamir was driving his gold 6.0...All I can say is that year, they all thought it was a race to each destination and the primary reason the CHP chopper took an interest in the group right out of Tahoe. From my vantage point, they were driving more than "spirited" that day. Each stop they were all grins being the "first ones to arrive in record time"...of course they also didn't mind doing about 100 in the tunnel at Yosemite and ticking off the rangers in the park...fortunately, no one got hurt with that stunt. That year, only 3 cars saw damage from careless driving, 2 made it out with minor body damage and one flipped and burned. None of those were from the Canadian group though.

The next year, totally different story...their group was more along for the ride...of course that could be because the murcie roadster with the wing was having E-gear issues, but still, they seemed to get a grip on that Giro. I know later the yellow Murcie ended up off the road in pieces someplace in Arizona I think.

Without being judge, jury, and executioner in this matter, maybe they were just being spirited and got nailed in the process. But then again, if history repeats itself, well...nuff said.

22. Romeo D

Romeo D Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Wa
    Full Name:
    rd

23. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #25 Night life, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    Oh man I know these guys in fact they are all doing a run back from Las Vegas where my buddy in the black Lambo just got married. They are the ZR boys from Calgary YIKES!!!!!

In fact here is a link of a couple of days ago when he was pulled over already once.

Go to Post#1429

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187567&page=72

As I was on the site guess who popped in lol,

The owners name is Zahir and this group usually exhibits great care and caution. He actually putts together some incredible runs that probably are one of a kind including dvd of the run at the end. Some times as many as 35 to 40 exotics on the road going for scenic tours through the mountains, it is a sight to see. I was lucky enough to be at one of his events last year.

Zahir car is the Yellow Enzo in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlwbFcj5Wjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJF8-PS0ZsY&feature=related