Mounting a child seat in a 355 spyder | FerrariChat

Mounting a child seat in a 355 spyder

Discussion in '348/355' started by Cinemagic, Apr 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    I would like to take my son out for drives on the occasional Saturday. I disconnected the passenger airbag and found a seat that fits perfect without touching the bolsters, and it is highly rated for impact.

Please do not start a lecture about how a child seat should not be in a 355. As long as the airbag is off and the seat is all of the way back, it's as safe as any other car.
    Many other exotic cars, including all of the new lambo's have car seat latch systems.

Since the factory seats do not have a latch system or a ratcheting seat belt, has anyone gotten a seat to work in their 355?

Thanks for any pointers.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    I bought the same ratcheting system and could not find a place to squeeze it in, I was thinking about trying it on the upper portion of the seat where the belt goes throught the bracket just above the sholder, on the back side, this way it uses the bracket as a stopping point.

My belts do no ratchet if you pull them out all of the way like most newer cars, so I have no way to lock the booster/child seat in place.

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My girls love riding in the Ferrari!!! They're big enough now where I can use a booster seat with the standard seat belt.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Are you sure you're locking the Mighty Tite properly? As I ratchet it down, it crimps very very hard onto the side of the seat. I like to place an old washcloth between the Mighty Tite and the seat to prevent scratching the leather. I can take some pictures if you'd like. (The trick is to pull ALL the belt webbing out before threading it into the Mighty Tight, and have somebody hold it to prevent reeling back in while you secure the Mighty Tite)

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Those ratcheting gadgets are NOT crash tested and WILL fail sometimes, I have seen them fail with my own eyes.... I recommend NOT using them. I have installed well over 1000 child safety seats over the last few years...I have been a Child Safety Seat Tech for many years. Do not route the belt anywhere it normally would not go. Do not route the belt on the car seat in any place other than designed. Perfectly safe to install a car seat and have your child ride in the Ferrari. Put the vehicle seat in the farthest back position away from the front. Install car seat and use the locking clip that came with the seat. Every seat comes with one, usually it is held on the back side. They are a pain to install if you don't know how, but that is the safest method of installation and travel for your child for that particular car and seatbelt system..

If you can't seem to get it to work right, call your local PD and ask for them to recommend a certified car seat installer to help you. Our dept has 3 of us certified and most police/fire dept have certified persons to help... We do appt's every week down here to help parents get there seats just right for there children...

7. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    how do you turn the airbag off?

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    who makes a booster seat that fits inside the bolster

9. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    Daniel, if you could take pics that would be great. I could not fit the ratchet onto the seat belt due to how close the car seat and bolster are.

Even with the locking clip, which I have to use due to the non-ratcheting belts in my car, the seat will move several inches...with me doing my best to get it tight. I was thinking about the locking clip + the ratchet on the back side to get out that little bit of slack.

10. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The seat should NOT move more than 1 inch side to side if it is installed correctly...When putting the car seat in--Put your knee and some weight into the seat, forcing it done while you are using the locking clip and clipping it. Once the pressure you are applying is removed the seat will be very tight...

11. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    I had my full weight on the seat when latching it into place. I could not even move the seat 1/2" side to side, but if I pulled the bottom forward, where his butt would be, it would move 2-3"...I was not comfortable with that.

12. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    Does anyone have any pics?

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    This is a forward facing seat? Correct?

14. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    Yes, forward facing, full harness...just can't get it tight.

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You test a properly installed seat by pulling it side to side at the lower base. As long as it doesn't move more than an inch or so it is fine. Doesn't matter how much it moves other ways...If it is installed correctly, it isn't going anywhere...

16. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Robbie, you're a man of many talents! :)

17. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    i would like to know the answer to this also. Anyone know?

18. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    To disconnect airbag:

1. Turn off battery
    2. Make sure you are not in a high-static environment
    3. Under the passenger side locate the yellow plug that connects the air bag and disconnect.
    4. Wrap both ends of the wire with electrical tape and secure wire out of harms way.
    5. trun on battery

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MECHANIC, I RECEIVED THE ABOVE FROM SOMEONE ELSE, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Note: your airbag light will come on and you will have to have a Ferrari guy reset the computer. For me this is a temporary solution. I found a company which installes airbag disable switches, but I am waiting until after summer...here in Arizona it is already getting hot and driving time is almost over.