help, 360 manual clutch problems! | FerrariChat

help, 360 manual clutch problems!

Discussion in '360/430' started by scoobyc, Apr 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    Hopefully someone can help me here as i'm very close to tears!
    Took my 360 modena out for its first proper run today (only been out to free things off etc since i bought it in november due to lots of salt over here) and after checking everything was well, temperatures all came up nicely. Wee drive through town for 5 mins and then just as i was leaving and got above 4k revs i couldn't select 4th or any other gear, Coasted to a halt and struggled to get any gears. Waited for car to cool down a bit and found fluid leaking from the bottom rear right (coming from a fractured gearbox block that's used for bleeding clutch, common through searches!) Phoned a local garage i trust and he said he could have a look at it on a ramp so tried selecting gear and it wasn't too bad, only 1 mile away so managed to get to garage without too much trouble. Then stopped the car and removed most of the undershields etc. Got the car to move forward and back ok but then wouldn't come out of reverse. Then ran the car forward to the ramp and found the fractured gearbox block (will be ordering a hill engineering one tonight). He then fabricated a fix so that it could at least be driven home but there seems to be no clutch pressure. We've bled it loads but there just seems to be a lack of pressure coming from the system, is it likely the clutch cylinder / cylinder pump, as parts listing class it, has gone? If the pipe is split before meeting the block it still seems to be at a low pressure. Previous owner said that hill engineering upgraded clutch release bearing had been fitted with clutch change last year/2k ago but thats other side of the block so shouldn't be anything to do with that.
    I'm greatful for any help anyone can give me on this as its now turned into a very bad day!

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Bleed the master, you probably have air in it since the block was leaking.

If you don't have a bleed screw. have someone pump the clutch while cracking the line open quickly for a second as they press down. Use a lot of towels if anything so no fluid gets on the car.

Or just take it to a shop.

3. depeche0222

depeche0222 Rookie

Jan 4, 2009
    I had the same problem recently on my 360 six speed. I took it to the shop and it turns out the slave cylinder was shot.

4. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    thanks guys. Its while trying to bleed it that we've found a lack of pressure, a few tests today but sounds like (fingers crossed) its the slave.

5. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    #5 scoobyc, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
    oops meant to say master above.
    now checked the pressure at where the flexible meets the solid pipe, before the gearbox block and there seems to be little pressure so pretty sure its the master cylinder.

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I wouldn't be so hasty condemming the master cylinder. These very rarely fail. They are sometimes a real PITA to clear the air from the clutch slave, so persevere and get it all out. If you don't have a bleed screw on it anymore you will never get the air out. I would wait for the hill bit to arrive and re-bleed it. Driving it anywhere in this condition could end up damaging your gearbox.

7. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    thanks, its not being driven anywhere so no fear there. Disconnecting the block and bleeding it before it still shows the lack of pressure - that was my thought process pointing to the master cylinder.

8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I see where you are coming from, but if the master has run low on fluid it's likely that there is air all the way from the front of the car to the back, so you probably won't see any pressure anyway. Fit your bleed block and give it another go!

9. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    #9 scoobyc, Apr 25, 2009
    thanks, yes i will do as you said, block will be home first anyway but the only other thing is that the fluid never got low enough that the master was empty as i pulled over quick and didn't use the clutch very much. My thought was that the master actually failing meant it never had as much pressure as it should to increase the leak rate/keep it pressurised and so i never lost as much as i could have, and i think the only air in the system is due to the cracked/leaky block and its fix but i'm only guessing!
    but once again thanks for your help and time, cheers sc.

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    when I bleed the slave cylinder on the clutch, I always attach a clear section of hoes that has a one way check valve in it. Just slip it over the nipple and attach it (which can be a pain, but usually a wire tie or something will help). Once you get it secured, then bleed the slave and line until no air bubbles come out. Using the clear plastic tubing (especially with a check valve in the line) helps ensure you do a proper job of bleeding the air out. If you just leave the nipple exposed to the air, it's easy for air to be sucked back inside.

In fact, on my motorcycle (when bleeding the brakes), if I don't use the hose trick, I usually can't even get the caliper to bleed the air out properly.

Ray

11. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    It probably won't have completely emptied the tank anyway, but there is a pipe from it to the clutch master, and only a few pumps is sufficient to empty the clutch master, it's a very small unit. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Good luck!

12. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    #12 scoobyc, Apr 25, 2009
    problem hopefully solved!
    After a very helpfull conversation from Karl @ Verdi (which was occuring just about the same time as rusty bits told me the same thing!) we bled the system at the master cylinder (via the union) and then bled the whole system again and all seems well Only moved out the rode for just now until new block comes home but fingers crossed the problems cured.
    Many thanks to all who helped and an extra special thanks to Karl who would now have my servicing was it not for a 665 mile ONE way trip and of course rustybits who also said to stick with it regards bleeding the system, if your ever in the north of scotland i will gladly buy you a pint!

13. Darryl

Darryl Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Make sure you check the clutch as well for wear, hate to have this work done a second time.
    Darryl