gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinemagic

Cinemagic Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Cary Christie II
    AWESOME GOTH!!! Just had to clean my keyboard!

When and how much?

My favorite part, no more bypass!!!

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Just heard it in person at full song. Oh my gosh! The hair on the back of my neck is still standing up. I changed my underwear.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    See, I told you.

That thing scu---reams!! It sounds great on the videos, but they really don't do it justice.

4. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I've been working away without Internet access then came back this morning to find this thread, I was thinking how thoughtless Goth was posting this whilst I was away then realise I didnt have to wait for days like the rest of you to hear that glourious sound.

Magnificent job Goth!

Bellissimo!

5. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Alright we heard the sound. SWEET! Now we are waiting on the dyno sheets. And we all need the sheets like yesterday.

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #106 vvassallo, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    Patience, goth and I are working on it. I want to do mine again with the EGT hooked up to it (emission gas tester) so I can see the exact F/A mix across the rev range. Hmm, wonder if we can do goth's as well... Also, we want to do this test on the road and the EGT has to be modded for this. It's not like we don't have real jobs or anything. :)

7. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Best sounding 355 I've seen yet. Thanks for sharing, expect a PM before year end asking how I can do this too :)

8. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Will remapping the engine ecu be needed to make everything work together or is it not important? Or will you guys do this after the dyno run?

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Personally I think this will be an issue. To my knowledge nobody has cracked the 5.2 motronic code. I think mapping will limit the potential unless some kind of piggy back controler could be attached. Goth's next project is the intake. I could actually see a drop in power because of the mapping issue. I think it all depends on how far outside the self learn parameters are. The ecu is capable within limits to adjust for things like fuel quality etc. . In fact I wonder about changes caused by freeing up the exhaust. So far there is not telemetry to tell us what's going on inside the cylinders. All we got is really really cool noises and a seat of the pants improvement. Goth is an engineer and in good time I am sure this all will be sorted out. I only know enough to ask questions. but it is good to see someone other than myself is thinking about these things.

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Is Jeff seriously going to sell you his 355!! :eek::eek:

Or are you getting your own 355 Spider?? :D:D

11. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON

It sucks that Motec stand alones are alot of green then the dyno time to tune but it's the way to go. If you have the green.

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    lol .............. :p ........... my by-pass diaphragm went out a while back then I fabbed on a modular housing so I can replace the diaphragm .......... which worked ok .......... but then I had to deal with the by-pass rattling ......... :eek:

............ it was a lot of work but am very happy with the results ................ :)

This is true ............ I am setting dyno time aside for this Saturday .......... :)

............. I will definitely be going to the dyno Vince........... I hope you make it with your 348 ................ ;)

Cool :)!!

........ I believe the ECU can make up for quite a bit ....... so the plan was to just pep it up and stay within the capabilities of the current engine management ......... though I believe there are a few companies that have made inroads into the 5.2 .

Motec absolutely rocks and if I was tracking the car, I would do it ............... but then as you said ......... it is not cheap ...... :eek:

If anyone can make it to Cars & Coffee this Saturday in Irvine California .............. just drop a PM and that will give me a reason to be there :)!!!

13. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    If you're going to be at cars & coffee this saturday, I'll be there with my '98 355B. Rosso Barchetta/crema. Looking forward to hearing that exhaust...

John

14. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    OOOOHHHHHH!!!! the cost of sound..

I'm just goin to put a really big stereo in the car and play my
    CD of F1 sounds at 120 decibles...lol

Nice system OZ, but it's worth more than my engine...possibly worth more than my whole car...lol

15. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Cant BS this crowd....

They know you only own an 8 track with a collection of 3 Barry Manilow tapes....

16. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    LOL! Youre gonna get out of bed that early??? :D :D

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #117 gothspeed, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Cool :)!! I think the F-car area is in the south/west corner?? What time will you be there?

...... it is not too bad if one finds a set of used 360/CS manifolds or buy some fabspeed 360 headers ................... or even cheaper yet convert existing 355 manifolds to the new collector :)!!

lol ............. :D

Whatever time I have to get up is worth it :) ............. not to mention I have to get to the dyno by 10:00am at the latest .......................... my 355 with the new exhaust is sooooo much more enjoyable to drive now, it will be no problem getting up early :eek: ............... the car even handles better, I could actually feel the reduced weight behind the rear axle around turns ................. bring your VTC smart car and meet us there :)!!!

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Looks like I'll be there too so we will have both gothxmuff systems to sample. Hope we don't get arrested! ;) Then it's off to the dyno.

Goth, I need to connect with you for meeting at the Spires restaurant again? Also are you gonna call Mark about the dyno? Laters...

19. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    :confused: ...................... "is it gonna fit?" .............................. yes ................... ;)

20. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    We were in the Sepulveda Tunnel going north just a few evenings ago and heard this terrible screeming sound and thought it was an airplane from the sirport taking off. But it couldn't be a plane in the tunnel.
    Were you guys around there?

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Not yet ............. ;) .................... though the actual tunnels used, cannot be confirmed and will remain a mystery ......................... :cool:

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Houston we have a problem......I put the CD(a borrowed one..) into the 8 track but had to wedge it on top of good ole Barrys' tape and guess what??? NO F1 sounds just Barry singing......

sooooooo I took Barry out(for the first time ever!!!! reaaly hurt to do that) and just inserted the CD and again no sound.

HHHMMMMM, maybe the speakers are wired wrong....

23. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Cars & coffee: don't know (directionally) which corner F-cars are parked at, but it's straight back from the entrance. BTW, enter via the "exit" to avoid the speed bump. See you there.

John

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Sounds good :)! ............. I hope the Friday rain is over by then .......... :eek:

25. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Goth,

I will be at C&C if there is no rain.

Dont want the car to melt!