Testarossa fuel vapor / vacuum hoses | FerrariChat

Testarossa fuel vapor / vacuum hoses

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Apr 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetings all.. Looking to change fuel vapor hoses to charcoal canister and vacuum lines to intake manifold.. Any ideas of were to buy and what would be the correct size / type of hose to use. Calling Rifledriver!!! Thanks in advance for your help.

Robbie

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Oh sure....call Rifledriver.

Well, until I'm called on, I'll be chasing bad guys on the streets of Miami in my white linen suit with my sleeves rolled up and no socks while I shift gears.

BTW,

In your last thread, you might have mentioned the strong smell of fuel....good indication of a cracked line.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Please accept my sincere apologies.. I thought you were chasing bad guys with Tubbs. Do you have any info regarding fuel / vacuum vapor lines? Please advise and next time I will call you directly.. :).. funny I was going to call you today to ask but I lost your cell from when we made our trade..

R

4. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
  5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

The "size of a suitcase" car phone rang....it's Chairman !

Ok, I changed my evap lines to nice rubber hose from NAPA.

The small line says 3/16" SAE30R6 KX Made in USA

The larger line says 5/16" SAE 30R6KX Made in USA

These lines look really nice and suit the TR well. Remember, when you order hose from Ferrari now, they too are phasing out the cloth line..all rubber now.

....I hate the cloth line anyway...can't keep them clean.

BTW,

When changing the line, do NOT pull the line off after removing the clamp. Use a brand new razor or utility knife blade and slice gently until you split the old line. The fittings on the car are old and brittle.....take great care. I just took my time and got all the lines changed over with no broken nipples.

When putting on the new line put a little "slyglide" silicone grease on the fittings....hose will just slide right on....use a LITTLE ! ( tip from Rifledriver and Tom Tbakowsky )

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #6 silvergts1998, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats what we use. I would also replace the pump supply hoses under the tank. The same hose can be used because it is on the input side and there is no pressure to speak of.

You will need some 5/16 and some 5/8. Be very careful getting the hoses off the fuel tank nipples. The nipples will break right off. Disconnect at the other end first and while gently pulling and twisting slit them with a razor blade. Try not to slit them all the way through, just enough to make them slide off easily. Those aluminum nipples are soft enough that a sharp razor blade can cut them enough to allow a small leak.

8. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Silver, What uses would the silicon be proper for? Or is it just a waste? I want to change out and update ALL hoses and tubing when I have the engine out..........Seriously, what would be the most appropriate and BEST to use for applications such as.....vacuum, fuel, oil, air, water, etc.? It would be wonderful to be able to "color code" each catagory and not look ricer!!

Kerry

9. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    So I can use this type hose to replace all the vacuum lines to intake, fuel vapor lines, brake assist vacuum line etc... ? Just not for the fuel pump to the injectors correct?

Robbie

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Liar liar.....panties on fire ! :D

Sure....ask for silver but who helped you with your alternator?

Easier said than done. The problem is trying to find a rubber replacement for the 14mm fuel breather line, brake booster line, and hose from fuel tank to the fuel pumps.

I have tried and still can't find alternative hose.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

11. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Silicone can be used for air such at vacuum lines, coolant, boost application and it's oil resistant, but not gas/alcohol safe at all. It would swell and deteriorate very quickly causing a mess. As far as color coding the hoses, I wouldn't do that. It would be too much and doesn't fit the car. I guess I am going OEM. I would just stay with black hose. Looks good and classy.

Shamile...shamile...shamile.....I have found the hoses you are looking for and have them on my car. I took off all the emission hoses off my tanks with the weak ass plastic fuel connectors and replaced them with fuel/alcohol rated hose going all the way to the top where all four hoses meet in the tube on top. I also replaced the fuel hose that is about 1/2 or more like .67" that connects both tanks on the top side with gas rated hose you can get from good year hose dealer. The larger hose you can get from a diesel truck store. I have all these gas rated hoses on my car and nothing leaks. My car runs sooo much stronger with the new fuel pumps in it too!

12. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Uh oh... ofcourse you know this means war... lol.... Hey Shamile... Is your testarossa still with her panties down.. What ever happened with the shifting issue.. Please advise on your findings or did you have to take her to the F-Pimp - if you did I hope she has on clean underwear.. no skid marks please... those should be evident after you pay the F-Pimps bill.. I really hope your able to fix her yourself.. Be well my man and thanks to all (in no particular order- :)~ for the valuable info.

Robbie

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've bought the proper sized cloth-covered hoses at a VW dealership, most any European car dealer service shop will have it on hand.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its not very good hose. It is one of the big reasons for fuel fires.

Not even needed for concours.

I won't install the stuff.

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Sure Silver.....keep all the secrets to yourself. How long have I been begging this forum for a 14mm rubber line replacement. I've found 15.1mm but don't know if a hose clamp will make up that difference with absolute safety. Did you actually find 14mm? There's gotta be a source!

Calling out a gal's panties is a no no. :D Yep, her's are still down....but still lookin pretty.

Yes, still have the same shifting issue. I've ordered some delrin silent bloc (2) from Verell and just waiting for them to arrive. I'll put them in then and if still no-go I'll try Rifledriver's adjustment info. If I can't get it.....off the the Fpimp....and a loud girlie squeal from me.

Carguy, I've seen this hose...from my local import auto store. It's not the same thickness as the F hose. It does fit perfectly but way too light.

Rifledriver, do you use an alternative rubber hose? ...or just OEM?

I'm still trying to find the thick-wall 14mm line for the fuel tank breather. I've found 15.1 but don't know if that's ok....I'm a little wary.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Got the 5/16 hose today along with some new stainless steel clamps.. 5/8 hose should arrive in 3 days with new claimps for that hose. Get this.. It was super cheap.. 15ft of 5/16 cost me $15.00 15ft of 5/8 cost me $26.00. Goodyear brand. Once I receive I will be installing. I am also going to order that 2 way check valve as well. I hope my canisters are not clogged or damaged.. Can I clean up with some air?

Robbie

17. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  18. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #18 Mr.Chairman, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    O.k.. today I got my hands dirty and removed and two charcoal canisters and replaced all the 5/16 and 3/16 lines as well as the two way check valve. A real pain in the as* to do without dropping the lower rear pan. I removed the tail lamps grill and lamp and did it from the top. All in all a pretty easy job except for the frozen bolts and re-working the brackets from trying to loosen the frozen bolts.. The bracket is so soft that when trying the loosen the bolt the bracket twisted and this was the only drain. Trying the straighten the brackets and installing the new canisters was tedious. I got it done... Just took her for a nice run and got up to temp and the humming from that area is gone. Definitely worth replacing the 5/16 hose to the upper atomospheric valve and the 3/16 hose to the intakes. The old cloth covered hose was hard as a rock.. they must have been very old. I was going to post some pics but there is really nothing to depict and it was very tight and dark in there. Thanks to all for the advise and tips when removing and installing the new hoses.. Drive on my TR brothers..

Robbie

19. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #19 jgmblair, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the process of changing the hoses as outlined in this post. I found that the line (15) connected to the 2 way check valve (14) was disconnected. Would this have any consequences? If so what? Is is necessary to replace the check valve? Thanks in advance.
    Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I used "Cohline" cloth covered fuel hoses for fuel lines on the Mercedes 3.5 coupe and the XKE V12...if I need to replace cloth covered lines. They are OEM on Porsches, VW and I believe MB.

I do have the luxury of driving to Pelican Parts in Harbor City or Mercedes Classic in Irvine to pick them up and make sure they are exact size and handle the correct pressure. Buy it by the foot to keep handy.

21. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    anybody have a good source for vacuum hoses?