screw loose 360 | FerrariChat

screw loose 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by mooose, Apr 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    Guys, aside from my post yesterday about my creaking front suspension, I have noticed that there is something moving around from front to back and vice versa and from right to left and vice versa. It happens when I accelerate hard and break hard and when I turn left or right hard. It sounds as if a loose screw or nut (or something similar) sliding around and it usually moves in the opposite direction to whatever sudden movement the car may make (i.e: if I turn hard left, the thing will travel from left to right). This was present last year but it stopped and has now returned perhaps by being dislodged. In any event, after trying to figure out where it was coming from, I had a mate come out with me and we both took turns to sit in the passenger seat. We both heard the noise and determined it was behind the passenger side of the dash. Its something metal sliding against something metal. Something has clearly got in there and is moving around when the car makes sudden movements. Is there a way to try and isolate this without having to take out the dash? Can the airbag system be taken out and will that get me in behind the dash? This is a bloody pain and its really depressing me!

2. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    dude come on!

3. lowboy

lowboy Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Underground
    I deleted it but .... that was the best laugh I had in awhile.

4. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    im happy for you man. Any ideas about the dash?

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #5 GCalo, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    Why not remove the footrest and look behind and above it.

A defined and audible loose item in that area sounds to me like battery, battery mount, etc.

I would check that quickly.

Leave the air bag alone but the glove box comes out with about 6 screws.

6. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    Thanks man, I checked the battery area and had a good look. Nothing in there. We're convinced its behind the dash; i only hope the area is accessible without having to take the dash out. It could be that something has come loose from behind the air vents.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Ok then you need to open the bonnet and remove the cloth panels ahead and to the right and look behind the large one towards the passenger compartment.

Steering mechanism is there as are other items.

Could be a tool that was left in there depending on services done.

Doubt there's anything loose behind the dash.

8. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    thanks man. will give it a go. The idea of taking the dash out terrifies me as when it goes back in there will be a million more rattles

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

are your sunglasses sliding around in the glove box :););)

10. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    glove box empty and noise still there

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree with Greg

you need to open the front bonnet and pull back the panels to see whats going on. :)

12. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    If you are into yoga, get down really low and forward and look up behind the dash, there's none of the sound deadening blanking panels as found on well built German cars. I had a similar noise when I first got my 360 and it turned out to be the battery tender cable not being properly cable-tied and sliding was around against the metalwork.

13. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    i checked the battery area and the battery leads. Nothing seemed untoward. I take it this is where the battery tender cable would be?

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    My tender cable went from the battery terminals up into the dash, wrapped around a few other cables before being routed into the glovebox. The last bit, being routed into the glovebox, is where it had come away from it's attachment. The plug connector was moving about against metalwork behind the dash.

15. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    will give it a check. Thanks very much

16. mgv1

mgv1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mark V
    I had a similar problem once on another car. Someone had dropped an earring down one of the vent openings on the dashboard. The damn thing was rolling from side to side and driving me crazy. The sound was deceiving as it was in the piping behind the dash. I used a piece of electrical wire (the solid copper core not the multi strand type) with a small magnet taped to the end and stuffed it down every nook and cranny trying to find it before I came up with the idea of trying the vent system.

Maybe the wire and magnet will work for you too, just keep it away from the instruments.

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Definitely sounds like a tender situation.

18. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    #18 mooose, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greg, I followed your advice and began to strip out the cloth panels under the bonnet. As I started removing the cloth panel, I noticed a white skin that was stuck onto the area where I needed to get access to. Had I attempted to pull this away, there would have been no way of getting it stuck back on. Im afraid I chickened out guys but I have included a pic to give you an idea. What do you reckon Greg? Is this the area you were talking about? I know, im a bloody wimp!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #19 GCalo, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is a vapor barrier and it is difficult for sure.

You have to do your best with it and then either purchase a new one or try to repair with duct tape. etc.

You can leave the repaired original in place and then cover it with another piece of plastic.

You can do it. We are all cheering you here.

Why you may even find a few hundred dollars in there left by the last shop!!!

See photos of when I opened mine to repair the alarm module. You can see the barrier.

20. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    Greg, i love the fact that you guys are cheering me but Jesus, that looks heartbreaking. Is there a real possibility that something could have got in there and is there room for whatever it is to slide around and move back and forth? I assume that these vapor skins can be purchased from Ferrari? Im gonna have a think about it and if I man up, ill do it and let you know what happens. Thanks again guys. What a pain in the ass this is!

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Moose

Your guess is as good as mine.

If you hear something moving and it's not in battery area, under the dash, or in the trunk, that area is just a guess.

So maybe you should bring to a shop who can check all that out for you.

Sounds to me that you are a bit faint of heart turning a wrench. If so, get professional help (for the car that is!).

22. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    cheers mate. I'll take it in on Wednesday. you know what will happen though, the noise will disappear when the technician comes out for a drive with me. I'll leave with them thinking im a loon and when i get home it will return. Sods bloody law. Thanks again man

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That always happens.

You did of course look under the front passeger seat to make sure there is nothing there moving. Right?

24. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    i did. I've taken the door cart off and all seems fine. Nest step is to remove the passenger seat and something may have got in there and is sliding around. If not its got to be where you say Greg. What do you think about the under tray of the car. Could a stone have got in and be moving around?

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The underpan is pretty tight in the frontal area of the car.

Anything is possible but if you are hearing that much audible and noticeable sound I doubt it's someting such as a rock in the pan.

Is the car pulling noticeably to the right?

Do you recall hitting a substantial pot hole, curb, etc on the right?