porsche or ferrari? | FerrariChat

porsche or ferrari?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 96redLT4, Apr 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi. I am a sometime lurker, first time poster to this site. I have learned much already from members insights. I have long dreamed of owning a Ferrari and am debating whether to jump in to a late model F430 coupe. The choice is between this and a new Porsche Turbo. I figure many of the members here will have experienced both cars at some point. I am interested in thoughts on drivability, reliability, and fun to drive. Both seem to have some great deals eg 15K + off sticker for the Porsche and you guys see the deals below on 430's. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Jim

2. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Porsche drives you while you drive the Ferrari. The rest you know and "feel". Best

3. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY Karting

Sep 13, 2007
    Austin, TX
    #3 LiveFromNY, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
    This is a Ferrari forum so I imagine that you're going to hear a lot of pro-Ferrari answers. And rightly so. I have a new F430 Spider and I freaking love it.

I will say this (and others will disagree with me but they'll be wrong): I also own a 911 and I've owned many, many Porsches and while I certainly would not compare the raw, visceral driving experience of my 430 to any P-car I have ever owned, I also could NEVER imagine driving my Ferrari as a daily driver (while the Porsche Turbo would make an excellent every day car). No matter what anyone says, the 430 is just not practical to drive every day.

They're very different cars. Drive them both and think about what you need the car to do. Either way, you'll be buying an awesome machine.

4. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've got a 997 Carerra 4 cabriolet and today bought a 2005 F430 red/tan hardtop. Clearly don't need both but they were bought for different reasons. Both beautiful cars and both fun to drive. The Porsche is more practical day to day, easy to leave in a parking lot. The Ferrari is moving art. These cars aren't at all about transportation. The value is in how they make you feel. The question I think we have to answer is this: Will you own a Ferrari in this lifetime?

5. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #5 Barrister, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi. I should have mentioned in my post that my down payment/trade in is a 997 Carrera S. This is a great car, but the 430 seems like something beyond...I worry a little about the nearest authorized F authorized repair being 120 miles away, and leaving a car like this even for brief periods in a parking lot. It almost seems like the 430 should be a '4th car' ie can only take it out on fun day trips when you can remain in close proximity to it. Thank you all again. This looks like a very nice community of supercar owners.
    Jim

7. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I own both a modded 996TT and a modded 360. If you get a Ferrari, may I suggest a 6 speed manual? You will absolutely love shifting gears through the gated shifter. The F1 in the 430 is also a significant improvement over the 360. But if you need a dd, get the Porsche.

8. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    porsche is german perfection ferrari is italian flamboyance.
    both are great and there is no better car between an f430 or a 997 turbo.

get what tickles your fancy....

9. OilPainterPro

OilPainterPro Rookie

Oct 14, 2008
    SICK CARS! All yours? :)

Nice plate on the Porsche Turbo.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I live about 125 miles from my dealer and it's not a problem. I can wait for most services, other times they give me a loaner. The 430 is not very needy. You only need annual services. I leave it in parking lots sometimes, but carefully. I would not leave it in a dark lot while I was watching a 3 hour movie for instance. I sometimes use it for chore runs like groceries, bank, etc. Sometimes its more about an owner's fear than reality that keeps owners from driving it.

Dave

11. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I've also owned many Porsches over the years. There is absolutely no comparison or experience that can rival owning and driving a ferrari of any year and model......period.

12. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    I agree with most everything said. Here's my story.

I traded in an 08 911 turbo for my used 07 F430. I was getting tired of 911's. This was about a year ago. The 430 is amazing, however as one poster said earlier, it's not very practical, and i don't use it to 'run down to the grocery'. I subsequently bought a Carrera S, '09 this Feb as my everyday car. OMG, with the new PDK tranny, and the increased horsepower, it is a really amazing car. So.....i have both now.

One really important thought on the 911's. Now that i have an '09, I personally would avoid buying any year prior. The changes are that dramatic.

13. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi. I'm just up the coast from you. Bought my 997 from Porsche SB. Did you buy your 430 from an Authorized dealer eg Auto Gallery in LA and if so what was your experience?. Thanks again everyone for the great responses. I knew there would be some Porsche owners/previous owners in this fine group!
    Jim

14. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I have an 08' 997 TT Cab 6 speed and an 06' 430 Coupe F1. I have a LOT of experience behind the wheel of both cars and I have strong opinions on both.
    PM me if you want and I'll gladly share with you some stuff that I just don't have the time to post.
    Ape

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

FERRARI nuff said :)

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well maybe you need to drive my 997S, 540hp, 2800lbs RWD, and no traction controls of any kind, I have owned 39 Porsche's and 4 Ferrari's, (including a 430), and yes, Ferrari's are nice cars, but I like my modified Gallardo (also RWD), just as much as my 430, but then again I drive my cars like they were ment to be driven, pushed hard, and the if they get a nick, or a dent, I fix it. When I first started getting into Ferraris (about 17 years ago), and friend and fellow Porsche owner told me, "Porsche owners drive their cars, Ferrari owners stare at their cars." I thought he was full of BS back then, now I'm not so sure. Buy a car you like to drive, and are not scared of driving. Sorry, my rant for the day is done.

QUOTE=speed racer;138603644]I've also owned many Porsches over the years. There is absolutely no comparison or experience that can rival owning and driving a ferrari of any year and model......period.[/QUOTE]

17. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Posche is kind of boring. They just made too many. I owned a carrera 4 and really liked it but these days I would only consider a TT or GT3 RS or CGT. For everyday use I prefer a big Limo and have a BMW 7 for the family.

On the weekends/evenings I have a ferrari and lambo which have far more curb appeal than a porsche. A supercar is also about how it looks! Performance wise the lambo has more HP than my 360 and is more stable at high speeds but the ferrari handles more like a go cart. I also have f1 on the ferrari which is something porsche does not do at all. Silly people, although I beleive that is changing pretty soon. So there are so many factors you need to consider.

18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have probably owned about 10 P-Cars
    All I can say is that once you have F-Car it would be hard for me to go back.
    Theres something exotic about a Ferrari where a Porsche doesnt fit that mold........at least for me :)

19. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    Yes I did. Good experience. A good friend of mine works with AG Porsche/Audi. Had a good experience with Ferrari/Maser as well. Adam is who to ask for. PM me if you need more.

20. Comprador

Comprador Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    PM me.. I own both.. can talk to you over the phone about all of the differences..

21. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Adam is a great guy. No bull with him at all.

22. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They do now... It is called PDK and it is the KING of the double clutch transmissions! UNREAL! In auto mode you would swear you are driving a slush box, in full on mode, it is wicked (though I am not sure it can match the Scud's shift change it is close)! Probably less shock on the transmission in the P-car vs. the F-car because it is a double clutch system...just a theory on my part though.

You really can't go wrong with either choice here!

23. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One final question if I may. Are the reliability and maintenance concerns not an issue any more with the 430/599? I know for example the Porsches have no service for 2yrs/20K, lifetime antifreeze etc and the factory does seem to stand behind these recommendations. Do people actually bring their cars with such low mileage into the dealer for an expensive service every yr?? My experience with other cars/service is that they can screw up more things than they solve if you let them muck around in the engine bay too much with 'recommended' services checks etc.
    Jim

24. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    #25 RobD, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    Though Porsche recommends an oil change at two years or 15K miles, some owners do change it more frequently. The Porsche's 15K mile service is about $500 (oil plus a few other things). The next one at 30K miles is about $1200 (oil, plugs, etc.). I stuck to the schedule with my Porsches, but I didn't track them or drive them hard.

My 430 had its last annual service 8 months/3K miles ago and the oil looks clean. Could it go two years with just topping it off? Probably.. but it'll go in for its annual, as scheduled. The only area where I surpass the factory's maintenance requirements is the trans fluid change.. they say every two years, I prefer having it changed every year.

The 430's annual service also includes the clutch fluid, brake fluid, etc. - figure around $1K. So, it's not as care-free or inexpensive as the Porsche. But it's not crazy expensive, either. Tracking is a different story, as both cars would likely require similar service intervals and requirements.

The 430 and 599 are reliable cars. I suggest a battery tender if you don't use the car daily, though. Otherwise, the battery may go dead.