Reverse - sometimes yes, sometimes no | FerrariChat

Reverse - sometimes yes, sometimes no

Discussion in '360/430' started by fasthound, Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In the past couple of months, there have been several times when I have pushed the REVERSE button (2005 F430 F1) and nothing has happened. Push it a few more times...nothing. Wait a minute or two with the engine running, car in neutral, and sometimes it finally engages. Otherwise, I have to turn the car off and restart it, and then typically REVERSE comes back to life. Of course, this is VERY intermittent. Anyone else have this happen? Diagnosis?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Art's 430

Art's 430 Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    IL
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    I also have a 05 430 F1 and I notice that the car does not always engage into the new gear when stopped. I rev the engine up a little then it will engage into first or Reverse. I don't know if this is the same problem or not. Starting to become a pain.

3. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #3 Barrister, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    This happened with my 2004 360 F1 a couple of times. Now and then it just would not go into reverse.

A couple of times it happened with a friend in the car - red face, cold sweat, cheesy grin and "Wow. I don't know what's wrong here."

Finally I realized that it was because I was forgetting to put my foot on the brake.

Sometimes the car will not go into reverse unless you have your foot firmly on the brake pedal.

Now I always press the brake pedal firmly when going into reverse. The problem has not happened since.

I suppose that the system is the same on the F430 F1.

Hope this helps!

***NOTE THAT THIS IS POST # 360! THAT'S FATE MAN!!***

4. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    Happened to me on a stradale-replaced the reverse switch-all fixed

5. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    I think it just needs to be re adjusted on the SD2 machine or whatever its called. The parameters need to be adjusted. Its a simple fix and this should solve it, at least it did on my 360.

6. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have heard of lots of 430's needing the switch replaced. If you do a couple of searches you might find the thread where other guys were having the same problem.

7. car-zone

car-zone Rookie

Apr 27, 2009
    USA
    Full Name:
    jhon kallis
    I have an automatic / sport gear box in my 3.0 ltr A6. When the car is first started it does not go into reverse properly and revs high. If I have been driving for a while and put into reverse it works OK. I have no trouble in forward gears. Also sometimes my gearbox will not shift into sport mode and also I see the PDRN letters flashing but again this is intermitant.

car zone

8. Edwinproxp

Edwinproxp Karting

Sep 15, 2008
    Hong Kong
    yep that happened to me (2006 f430 spider)! Bring it back to the dealer, the problem is usually caused by the clutch overheating in which, the clutch enlarges and eventually touching "something". If you reached this point the reverse gear won't be able to engage. The dealer can move the clutch like a few mm away from the original position, redo (delay)the shifting timing abit and the reverse gear will work 100% of the time. It worked for me at least.

9. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    The very same thing happened to me when i took my F1-430 out of storage this spring. the first time i fired up the engine, the tranny refused to go into reverse. i was holding down the brake pedal and it made no difference. only after 4-5 tries did reverse kick in. the problem has not recurred since!
    this problem with reverse is perverse!

10. Exact10

Exact10 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2007
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Annie's Daddy
    This same thing happened to my 05 430, I kept having the issue on the hill reversing into my drive.
    Got to the point where I would slow to a halt in traffic and then it would refuse to take forward gear.
    It went back to Ferrari several times, they bled the system, they couldn't make it happen when they had it etc., in the end they replaced the actuator system completely and I've not had it happen since.
    Gino Potter and the guys at Ferrari of San Francisco helped me, if you have an issue call Gino
    Good Luck
    Ian

11. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    +1. There have been several "interesting" posts about the switch in 360's being the culprit...assuming the 430 is similar, it can drive you nuts. Pushing the brake pedal firmly will get you going (sometimes), but then a few days later it won't work....

Ordered my switch from Daniel on a Monday, I was on my back (tight fit..for me, anyway) installing it Weds night.