Stratos | FerrariChat

Stratos

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by abstamaria, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Dear moderator,

There have been a number of discussions in FerrariChat on the Stratos, but they're difficult to find, even with the search function. Is it possible to have a separate section on the Stratos? Not in the Ferrari model section, but perhaps as a separate section under "Off Topic"? The link between the Stratos and the Dino probably justifies this (I think the Stratos has a greater affinity with the Dino than with its Lancia siblings, and that may be true too of the Dino and its Ferrari siblings - but I don't want to start a flame war). I note as a matter of interest that the Stratos was in a recent issue of Forza.

I've posted separately in the Dino section, as I'm not sure who to address this suggestion too.

Warm regards,

Andy

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    There has to be a lot of traffic on a topic before the Admin will consider a sub-forum and a search results in some results, but not a lot.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121302

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167498

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179312

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180558

The Stratos is a cool car, but we have one forum for all the vintage Ferraris, so I doubt that the Stratos deserves its own sub-forum. What you can do is to create a thread and archive/link all the most interesting Stratos references and see if you can generate more discussion on the car.

P.S. It's generally frowned upon to cross-post to different forums.

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the advice, Yin, and my apologies to all for cross-posting.

Warm regards,

Andy

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Could you explain what you mean by that statement and why that's the case?

Thanks

Bob S.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Posting the same thread or topic in multiple forums is considered bad form.

Generally any give thread should have one home, one forum for discussion.

This one, perhaps belonged in Other Italian, but because of the historical link to Dinos, was put here and in Other Italian. Thus the cross post issues.

Not a major infraction, but something to consider going forward.

DM

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    DM defined a cross-post.

Here are a few reasons for the rule:

1) Multiple threads is an annoyance to users who frequent all/most of the targeted forums. It doesn't seem like much once or twice; but, without a rule, there will be abusers who will hit 20-40 forums with a plea for help, notice of a gathering or even more spam-like postings.

2) There are several hundred original threads created every day here. Allowing cross-postings would vastly multiply the number of threads to be scanned at the index level for new content daily or in future searches (users who create informative thread titles are very helpful to other users).

3) Creating multiple same threads creates multiple conversations, which defeats one of the values of a board - to concentrate the available knowledge at an instant and archive it. Here's the twin thread from Dino:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183545

Note that both the same and different points are made. Ideally, these two threads should be merged so that all the info would be available for future readers at once.

4) Users who post to or read multiple threads often get confused about which thread they're in (note that DM apparently thought he was in the Dino twin of this thread).

There's obviously some value to cross-posting, i.e. to reach a broader audience of those who frequent only a subset of available forums. But since there are broad coverage forums as well as model/regional forums, the belief is that most users can be reached by putting some thought into selecting the single forum that best fits the topic and that any missed users will be at the fringe; consequently those losses are acceptable in comparison to the problems created.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow, you guys are really fussy. Well, sometimes all of those things make sense to me. I don't like multiple threads on the same topic in the same forum either. The example of above of list of know discussions about the Stratos seems like a perfect way to create a pseudo forum for that model but I guess you don't like that?

Well if I get out of line some time just let me know.

Thanks for the info.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Where was that Stratos being sold, Mike?

11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Andy, Motorcar Gallery in Fl. (954) 522-9900 or

www.motorcargallery.com

I saw this car when I went to the Cavallino Show in Palm Beach Fl. last weekend. The Stratos is very clean.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #12 abstamaria, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This morning, I took out the Dino and then the Stratos for a quick spin. I hadn't been able to use either car for several weeks and thought I would take advantage of a break in the weather - the rainy season started early this year in Manila.

The Dino started easily and, as usual, was pure joy to drive. Very civilized, but quite exciting to use, specially with the Tubi exhaust.

The Stratos took some time to catch - it has always needed more waking up than the Dino; they have different carburetors, cams, etc..
    But I was quite surprised by how different they feel, made quite apparent by this morning's back-to-back drives on the same route. The Stratos feels much lighter (and it is). It jumps forward when one depresses the accelerator, much more suddenly than the Dino. Its responses are more immediate. The Stratos feels raw and nervous, as it should. After all, it is a competition car.

I've had the Stratos 23 years now (bought it when they were inexepensive) and the Dino 3 years, and I am still quite amused by how different they are. They complement each other, and I feel really lucky to have both. Highly recommended.

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

could you post more pictures of the stratos? that one posted is quite a teaser!!

best,

pcb

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #14 abstamaria, Apr 27, 2009
  15. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    very nice car

one of Gandini's masterpieces (with the miura, countach, diablo )

16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Andy, I will be going to Manila this May and I'm wondering if I could see your Stratos, Thanks.

Mike

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #17 Merak1974, May 22, 2011
  18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i love that picture. it really punctuates the radical nature of the stratos and the refined gt design of the merak. both cars are from a design era that must be remembered as very important!!!!

when i was shoping for my boxer, several folks told me i should get a stratos instead. i wish i had listened. the stratos is an icon!!!!

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Thanks for the comparison it's nice to hear the details from an owner of both. The stratos looks very tight is there less room than a dino?

20. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    that's the car i bought!

i've just repainted it back to it's original color...it was never a rally car to start with..

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    looking at that website Boy the M-1 BMW's sure have shot up.

22. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    they have, although in person i wasn't quite as impressed with the design....

23. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I am just curious. How do you get these cars serviced in Manila?

24. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I totally agree with you. The early 70s (and late 60s) marked a definite shift in automotive design, and a great one at that.

25. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    #25 scoobysteve, May 28, 2011