348 Insurance- San Diego area - Recomendations | FerrariChat

348 Insurance- San Diego area - Recomendations

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Zanny1, Apr 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Spent all morning searching Fchat files for information regarding car insurance in the San Diego area.
    I currently have Hagarty for my 365 GTC/4, limited use 2000 miles per year, full coverage and max on liability, for around $700 per year. Checked with State Farm, as they appear to get a lot of positive comments on this forum, to get the same deal for my 348 TS. They want $1200 a year..... which seems high. There's much information available in the Fcat files, however little of it applies to the San Diego area.
    None of my vehicles get driven more than 2000 miles a year. I'm thinking of swinging all cars and home insurance to one outfit if the discount matters. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I use State Farm and it's around $700/year on my 348; looks like I get discounts as a multi-line policy holder, garaged, good driver and 3rd car classified as recreational use.

3. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I would check out

Wawanesa Insurance Company
    9050 Friars Road
    San Diego, CA 92108
    (858)874-5300

Probably less than $600/year depending on the # of cars you have, driving records, etc....

4. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
    One must be careful and consider the pay out. It seems to me all of the big ones are about the same but service and pay out is primary for me. I have Statefarm but have considered AAA and Farmers that all lost out to Statefarm I have been with them for well over 40 years.

5. rkelly

rkelly Rookie

Aug 19, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert (Bobby) Kelly
    Would wawanesa even insure a ferrari? I have them for my daily and its full coverage, only $810.00 a year, and Unigard tried to charge me $2,200.00. Obviously went with Wawanesa. Wawanesa only covers good drivers though.

6. MotoAir

MotoAir Rookie

Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Full Name:
    John Murray
    They insure my 550 and have been great. I was with AAA and went from $2,200-ish down to $600-ish,... I believe the only caveat is they only insure to $80K. I would think you can get an umbrella to cover the remainder if you want coverage beyond the $80k. A good friend has insured his Lambos with them for years and swears by them which is why I gave them a try. Very easy to work with but have no claim experience with them (and hope to never have any). :)

7. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys.
    After the responses made to this post, I went back to the same State farm agent and he reduced the annual fee for insuring my 1990 348TS down to $650 a year. He "forgot" to identify the vehicle as "pleasure use only" with a 2000 mile/year limit. Of course I had specified this before, however he had conveniently overlooked these two key limitations. Agreed value $50K, liability 250/500/100, deductable 500 on collision and comp.
    This rate is if I include a policy on my 1972 GTC/4, which was quoted at $600 a year, $120K agreed value. I'd been with Hagarty for the last 5 years, and the State Farm rate is slightly less.

So it looks like State Farm is highly competetive once you get their attention as to what is required. I will check into adding the regular daily drivers and homeowner's policy also, as they claim this can whack another 15% off the car premiums.

Thanks to all for input.

8. jabramson

jabramson Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Depending on your age, record etc. , I did a full search and found Liberty Mutual to be the most competative. I have four vehicles with them and show my 355 as a pleasure vehicle and they charge me $250 per year w/ $500 deductable. I was real surprised but theyconfirmed this was correct. Who am I to argue?

9. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Jeff. Coming from you, I will look into this.
    BTW - I'll drop by in the "new" 348 next week and say hello...... and check up on the C/4 motor rebuild.
    Kind Regards
    Mike

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Don't know if they do insurance in Cali, but I have my 348 with www.heacockclassic.com for around $500 per year. Limited use, but I don't drive it that often so it is not a problem. For a few dollars more you can bump up the mileage allowances. Really nice people to deal with, but I have never had a claim.
    :)
    BT

11. jabramson

jabramson Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mike, just pulled my policy. $250 was on my other car. The 355 was $424, still below everything else I looked at. Look forward to seeing you next week.

Jeff