LEWIS GETS OFF IN LIARGATE | FerrariChat

LEWIS GETS OFF IN LIARGATE

Discussion in 'F1' started by jk0001, Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/278776/LEWIS-GETS-OFF-IN-LIARGATE.html

Lucky champ to escape race ban

ESCAPING PUNISHMENT - Lewis Hamilton

From IAN GORDON in Manila, 25/04/2009

LEWIS HAMILTON is set to get off scot free this week over his role in Formula One's Liargate scandal.

Britain's world champion is likely to escape a personal punishment, even though Red Bull boss Christian Horner insists Hamilton's McLaren team should have the book thrown at them.

McLaren have to answer FIVE charges that they lied to race stewards at the Australian Grand Prix when they face the FIA's World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday.

Apology
    But team chief Martin Whitmarsh has thrown himself at the mercy of chiefs by making an unreserved apology after Hamilton was told to tell fibs to try to get an extra point.

Whitmarsh has also been in talks with FIA representative Alan Donnelly in Bahrain.

They claim the actions taken since the lie was exposed - including the sacking of sporting director Dave Ryan and Ron Dennis' resignation - should soften any punishment.

McLaren, who were fined £50million and kicked out of the constructors' championship 18 months ago for spying on Ferrari, hope they escape with another fine.

The WMSC could also dock points or ban them for two races. But a highly-placed pit-lane source said: "It is all up to McLaren now. If they go into the meeting contrite and hold their hands up then they could get off.

"But if they go to Paris trying to defend themselves like they did over Ferrarigate it will not be good for them."

FURIOUS - Red Bull boss Christian Horner wants the book thrown at McLarenHorner insists the WMSC will have to consider a two-race ban, ruling McLaren out of next month's Monaco Grand Prix.

He said: "If you are in front of the stewards, you have to tell the truth.

"The evidence against them was quite damning. The team have put themselves in this position so they have to be prepared to meet the consequences.

Shame
    "It would be a shame to lose a team for a couple of races but there has to be a penalty for lying to the stewards."

Team chief Whitmarsh wrote to FIA president Max Mosley last week to "unreservedly apologise" for attempting to mislead stewards and get Toyota's Jarno Trulli stripped of third place.

Whitmarsh also sent a second letter, detailing the non-confrontational approach it is expected to take on Wednesday. He admits he has had "dark thoughts" since taking over as team principal on March 1.

Whitmarsh said: "We are co-operating with the FIA and it is for WMSC to decide what action should be taken.

Dark
    "You have moments of dark thoughts. We've had a range of disappointments and dealing with those has been tough. I have been open and said that I have considered what I should be doing with my future.

"We have got to do a better job in all departments. It is clear McLaren have not always done everything right."

Hamilton, 24, who qualified fifth in Bahrain behind pole-setter Jarno Trulli, might not appear at the hearing.

He said: "We've had some tough times in 2007 and 2008 but this year is really hard. It's hard on everyone in the team, hard on family, hard on friends.

"It affects your personal life but you can't dwell on it. You have to rise above it and try to learn from it. It's been the toughest period of my life."

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Horner makes a good point, McLaren and Hamilton needed their definition of right and wrong adjusted. For the sake of the sport, any more punishments would be futile.

3. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    All i can say is Mclaren do it to themselves.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Since the meeting has yet to happen and there is no official verdict isn't this just yet more speculation in one of England's less salubrious rags and not worthy of its own thread let alone such a dishonest inaccurate headline

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 For those not familiar with it, the NotW is roughly as reliable as the National Enquirer here in the States. [See: Mad Max's law suit against 'em etc]

And the headline is just plain wrong - The pooh-bahs may yet throw the proverbial book at him.... I don't believe they will (he's too important) but we all know they're crazy, so who knows - Certainly not a hack from that rag.

Cheers,
    In

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I think many have come to the realization that it is the Kangaroo Court which is "on trial" here in the open minded public's eyes.
    LH's/Mclarens punnishment must fit the crime. Anything else is just a witch hunt.

Of course I will have to endure "Mcheaters and Mcliars" for the forseable future from those who refuse to drop the pitchforks.

Better than Mclosers.

PS; I back Williams.

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Wasn't it decided a while ago that Lewis himself wouldn't face any further penalty, and the charges are just against McLaren as a team? (Obviously if the team are banned then he's effectively punished as well).

Personally I think a long, but suspended, ban would be best. That way there's no immediate impact on the sport unless McLaren misbehave again.

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 End of the day Mclaren pulled out the gun and shot it's self straight through there own fat foot.

Those spouting for judgement day are pure sour self opinionated biased bigot's.

The same folk think slap happy Max and Bernie are honest LMAO.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    McLaren seems to realize that the best they can do is to don the sackcloth and ashes and throw themselves at the mercy of the FIA.
    They've offered up two sacrificial lambs and their best hope is to keep Lewis' championship bid viable.
    My Grassy Knoll scenario; After being allowed to contest the championships this year they bring out the new double diffuser car that they've kept under wraps and Lewis smokes everyone for the rest of the year.

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ha ha I think your right...if you can't beat em join em...:)

11. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #11 jk0001, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Damn if the articial was not right..... You heard it first here!

12. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Pretty hard to drop the pitchforks when they keep bouncing off the ground. It wont be long before Mclaren and or Lewis step on the pitchfork again. The question is not when but how.

13. eam3

eam3 Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Ed Mendez
    But with Ron Dennis gone, they might be extra careful for the next 12 months. They'll still cheat, but they'll cheat as much as every other team does - in smaller doses and very carefully.

14. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Since the word is out on them now, the Stewards, Tech and everyone will have them under the microscope. Any screwup will be noted and delt with. It would make interesting reading in Hamiltons biography. I wonder if it happened to any other driver or team if the fine would have been so light.

15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The spot light was already on them, that was part of the problem under the SC fear of getting it wrong, nothing has changed in that department, only RD leaving.

16. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you think the spot light was on them before now they are under a magnifying glass. Its not going to be pretty. Its like pissing off the police, it causes real bad karma.

17. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think LH will come within a whisker of another WDC this year.... so hang around Jimbo...;)

18. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm not going any where. It just hope that LH does not follow the path of Mike Tyson, once you think you can get away with anything, usually thing go stray. That does not mean that I would not love to have them as my neighbors. I'll be their pool boy at either of their houses. :D :D Nothing is better than a good train wreck.

19. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Pool boy!...yeh right, only so you could clock Nicole Scherzinger in a bikini..;)

20. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If I'm the pool boy, I can always use an assistant! :D
    expecially since now she is going solo and leaving the band.

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Stop it Steve.
    You know how I hate it when we agree:)
    IMVHO McLaren have the ability to turn things around faster than anyone else in F1.
    Unlike the boys from Maranello, when things go bad they don't go "operatic" in Woking.

22. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #22 kraftwerk, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL true. Dave can we also agree the new BrawnGP wet set up will not get passed by the FIA..;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That is what they need in China

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Why wouldn't it? The barge boards look a tad big but I'm sure they conform to the letter of the law;)

25. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It has an enclosed cockpit, and not open wheel.... it could be a LMP1/2 but the outboard would mess up with the diffuser :D