porsche or ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

porsche or ferrari?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 96redLT4, Apr 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    #51 mr_bock, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    Just as others have said.... Buy Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very different for different reasons, but both are fun!!!!!!

2001 360 Modena/6 speed manual and a 1996 993 Supercharged Custom P-Car, see my avitar.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

oh yes...i'm sure the 997 tt is a yawner...lol.

3. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    Today I test drove a PDK and a 6-speed manual '09 997C2S looking for a daily driver. I was not impressed with the PDK, a slight lag in gear changes after you press the switch on the steering wheel. I also would much rather have paddles like in the F1 and M3 rather than the steering wheel mounted gear switch, found it very awkward to use. The 6-spd manual shifted very smoothly but the clutch has so much more travel than my 6-spd 430. I can see why Porsche owners would want to switch to Ferrari. The 430 makes the 997 feel like an ordinary coupe. I guess i was expecting too much. My search for a daily driver continues.

4. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #55 Barrister, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    You need to test drive a 6-speed 997TT. It is the perfect DD. It is as docile or insane as you want it to be. And with a few tweaks here and there, the car is just a beast.

Going from an F430 (nearly 500 bhp) to a C2S (not even 400 bhp) is not a fair comparison. It is kind of like me comparing my Stage II Turbo (600+ bhp) with my stock 360 (400 bhp). It is really apples and oranges.

Here is a link to a video of me and some friends at a track day. My red Turbo set the fastest lap of the day by a pretty wide margin (my instructor set the time - not me). But it gives you an idea.

I drive the Turbo as a DD.

http://www.downforcemedia.com/gallery/5223724_TPjTt/1/#381853730_95rvL-A-LB

And some street shenanigans.

http://www.downforcemedia.com/gallery/5223724_TPjTt/1/#382425605_7oYhY-A-LB

In that second video, the black Turbo that crushed us all has the Protomotive turbo upgrade to a much larger Garrett turbo charger and intercooler system. My Turbo has no turbo upgrade. Look at the difference in performance.

I would stack my 997TT up against any stock F430 or Scud.

D

5. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    #56 intouch1, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

the sl63 does NOT have a dual clutch tranny...it's a slushbox without the slish....i.e. it's a normal auto transmission where the torque converter was replaced with an electronically governed dry clutch mechanism.

6. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Instead of a 430.....

Get a 360 AND then get a beater 911 Track car with roll cage and all.
    That way you have the Ferrari for the weekends and have a Track car that you can blast around at the track with.
    Best of both worlds.

I found my $17k 911 on http://www.race-cars.com/ and it was totally ready to race as the previous owner
    had sunk like $60k into it and needed the cash. (I got his trailer as well!)

Hunter

7. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    So he has his weekend car and track car but he walks to work??

8. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    #59 Challenge_Stradale, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Cool Vid Big D

10. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    What about GT3RS ??? Its close to race feel of 430 and propably better DD. Why Turbo? Turbo is powerful but boring car imo.

11. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I like the GT3 RS better than the Porsche turbo cars. In my opinion, big power gets boring without instant response. The GT3 RS has instant steering, brake and throttle response, like the CS, 430 or Scuderia. It's close to moving fast without a car. The turbo feels like you're in a car.

12. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Very nice garage Mr. P.

I may have to name a firm after myself as well!

_J

13. GCP

GCP Rookie

Jan 18, 2009
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Gary C. Pennington
    #64 GCP, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    If you can swing an RS then you should get it. It is a tremendous car. But it really isn't made to be a DD. There is no cruise control or traction control and the seats are not very comfortable (especially if you are a bit "large" like me).

There is a bit of turbo lag in a stock 997TT. But you can all but eliminate it with the right mods. I would love to take each of you guys for a ride in my 997TT. It would change a lot of your opinions.

I think that the sweet spot may be the new GT2.

15. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    OK.. I had a deposit on a 2010 997TT Cab, waiting to trade my 06 997S with Powerkit. Have owned several Porsches both Turbo and NA, as well as older Ferraris to include a Daytona. So I got tired of waiting for Porsche to come out with a definite production time for a Turbo with PDK (double clutch auto) and decided I would take a drive in a 430. Neither car would be a DDriver. A 2 mile test drive did it for me.. The driving experience of the 430 would make it very difficult to go back to Porsche.. I never was enthused about the Turbo lag or sound of the TT in any event, and little by little the MSRP of a fully optioned TTCab (Porsche nicks you big time for extra leather interior pieces even Crests on seat backs, as well as many other things one would expect to be std.) inched closer to the Ferrari I bought. After driving both cars, if price is the only consideration, you ought to configure the PCar with the exact options you want and see if the visceral experience of the FCAR is worth the difference.

16. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    seems i am in a ferrari forum here :D

17. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    of course there are better cars, even sticking within the ferrari and porsche lineups there are better cars. but yes, both are great, and they are sufficiently different that you really need to drive both and see which appeals to your own sensibilities better. or get both. :)

18. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    something is wrong with your car, or your battery. my 430 is a manual and sits for at least a month at a time, no problems whatsoever. (i did have the battery replaced when i bought it, a bit more than a year ago.)

19. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    #70 RobD, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    I don't think anything is wrong. I fully charged the battery with my battery charger and it's been holding charge ever since. I don't know what happened that time it went dead (was about a month ago). I've since bought a deltran battery tender. If the car sits for more than 4 or 5 days, I hook it up so the battery gets a freshening. After plugging it in, it doesn't take long before the green light starts flashing, so the battery is staying well charged. I know I can leave the tender hooked up continuously, but I don't really like doing that.

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I have a 2008 997 Coupe 6 Speed as my daily driver, and I have to say it is a great car, but something to me is missing. Therefore, I have started looking for a 05-06 430 Coupe as a weekend car, and getting something else as a DD. One thing about the Porsche, you can go anywhere, anytime, and you don't have to worry about parking or reliability. Also the maintenance is very reasonable and it really is a great car. The only issue is the suspension is not as supple as my 355 or 360.

21. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    sure there are better/faster cars. what i was saying that comparing an f430/997 turbo none is better than the other. different cars for different tastes with same performance.

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    As a secondary car, the Ferrari no doubt. Porsches make great transportation but they're not very exciting, especially those Turbos. Ideally one should have both, but given the choice, it has to be the FCAR

23. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    i wonder if the car you test drove had the Sport Chrono Plus package. It's a must. in regular mode i do get the same thing you described. In sport mode the shift seems almost immediate. I actually use the console shifter versus the steering wheel shifters. In sport plus it's even more so. Anyone looking at an '09 997 I would INSIST they get the package.

24. anedom

anedom Rookie

Jul 20, 2008
    USA
    Are you kidding me? Ferrari of course!! Ferrari, there is no substitue!!