308 piston remove | FerrariChat

308 piston remove

Discussion in '308/328' started by osceola, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. osceola

osceola Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    due to a damaged sodium cooled valve I have a damaged piston,engine out ,heads off,not sure of this crankcase could someone give me the procedure? ThanksBUck

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    there are many engine rebuild threads if you search for them. a recent rebuild was performed for the very same reason you have. I say to search because it is a subject that has been beat down many times and it is a pretty information rich subject. Searching will yield loads of valuable information.

3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Heck of a post #1 and heck of a reply :):).

Valve failure?
    Presumably because sodium filled?
    Request for crankcase rebuild procedure?

Search for precisely what? :):)

Not trying to make any particular point here. It's just that many here would love to have more details from the original poster. And searching will yield much if you are good at the keywords, etc. and persistent.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Complete your profile and give us some more information, perhaps we can help.

5. osceola

osceola Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm not sure of the lower end getting to the rod,what has to come off? Other than the piston engine looks good.I'm hoping to replace piston and restore valve train.Thanks, Buck

6. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Buck, you have to get to the main cap for that particular piston - accessed through the bottom of the engine. Piston and rod will slide right out the top. If the piston was holed/melted because of a valve not seating you may also have some damage to the bore as well. It's not ideal but I know people often install a single 10 or 20 over piston because they don't want to spring for a new complete set of pistons and boring all cylinders (done best with removal of the liners). Doing the job right soon gets very expensive - $5-10K in parts alone.

The sodium valves tend to fail not because they're sodium filled, rather, the clearances can close up over time to the point where the valve doesn't fully seat.

7. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    What years have sodium valves?

8. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I could be mistaken but I think its all 2 valve 308 series cars including GT4 and Mondial.

9. osceola

osceola Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    I know I have to get to the rod cap.My question remains getting to the cap.What has to be removed to reach the rod cap on the lower end of engine?Do transmission components have to be removed?What I'm confused about is the makeup of the crankcase and the method of breakdown of the crankcase components to reach the rod cap.I assuming you can't reach the cap from the sump cover.The bore is fine ,no damage.Regards,Buck

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    If im understanding right you have to pull the motor and seperate it from the gearbox in order to pull the damaged piston out

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I suppose one could remove the oil sump plate and get to perhaps a few of the rod nuts from the bottom, but certainly not all of them. The big question is, why would anyone want to do it this way?

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sounds like the engine is out. Unbolt the gearbox and mount it on a stand.

Where are you located?

13. osceola

osceola Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    I live in central Virginia.Is it a big deal to remove the gear box from the block with engine out? Thanks,Buck

14. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #14 Ferraripilot, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. osceola

osceola Rookie

Apr 22, 2009