Does anyone know what's really inside the 308 Engine ? | FerrariChat

Does anyone know what's really inside the 308 Engine ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    My question is this:

I need to replace a timing belt drive bearing, and to do so requires I remove the timing gear cover plate; it's the cast cover plate behind the crank pulley,

The question is this: Can I remove the timing gear cover plate without removing the engine, or will the oil pump pickup pipe prevent me from pulling this cover from the engine in place ???

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes you can but it is a very hard job, and to some, it is not much better than a full removal. Plus, you can do so much more to your engine and engine bay when the engine is out.

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Which brg?

The outer one can be removed with some special tooling. Not terrible. The inner, well, I know of folks who've pulled the engine for less.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 miketuason, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    +1.

6. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    Yes I see from the picture there is a lot of room to work in there. The gears that drive the timing belt pullely are behind the timing cover, that is behind the crank pulley. Can that cover be removed without pulling the engine ?

The timing cover also contains the oil pump and it appears from the exploded diagrams I have found that the oil sump pipe, that feeds the oil pump, is hard mounted to this front cover on the inside, and it may be therefore impossible to remove this cover with taking the crankcase apart, which obviously cant be done in place.

Is the oil pump feed pipe connected to the timing cover (on the inside) ? Further, can the oil pipe feed pipe be removed by taking off the bottom cover and reaching inside?

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #7 enjoythemusic, Apr 28, 2009
  8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I did this job the summer of '06 with the engine in the car. I performed the job on both outer timing bearings and seals rather than pulling the entire timing cover and removing all 4 bearings. The issue with my engine was the rear bank lower timing gear oil seal was leaking. I figured if I was doing one I might as well do both. I fashioned a special puller by modifying a timing gear puller and shaping the ends of a couple long bolts so they could fit into the bearing races after the bearing race cover was seperated and the ball bearings themselves could be moved aside so to allow for something to be pushed in next to them. I have a photo of the puller I fashioned on my home computer, or it should be floating around somewhere in the archives. All in all I simply replaced the seals behind the timing gears and bearing directly behind the seals. Been fine since.

The timing cover can be removed without pulling the engine, but it is a task. The oil sump plate must be removed and the oil pickup pipe must be removed. The two nuts which hold the oil pickup pipe in place are very difficult to get to and a special socket must be fashioned. What is the issue with your engine? Leak? can you hear a bad bearing?

9. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #9 EMILIO, Apr 28, 2009
  10. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #10 FF8929, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    "Verell" has a post on how to remove the timing cover while the engine is "in". I've done it, helped by phone conversations with Verell. The only specific tool needed/wanted, is (as I recall) a 1/4 dr. 10mm, 6 pt. Snap-On socket. The process to remove the timing cover is the same, engine in or out. It is a "short-cut" process, not the "right" way. The right way is to pull the engine, pull off the crankcase/transmission case, then the timing cover. This is the way it was put together originally. It takes longer, but is easier, and the reliability of the sealing is better. But, to each his own poison.

11. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    My story:

I heard this loud rattling noise like a bad cam lifter, coming from the depths of the engine block. Since it's a belt drive DOHC I knew it could not be lifters inside the block. With my rite-aid stethescope, I chased the sound to the timing cover, then looking at the pulley I could see it was jumping up and down 1/8", not a good sign for a shaft supposed to be riding on ball bearings.

I have studied the exploded diagrams on Ricambi's site, and concluded the most effective way to fix it would be to remove the timing cover and replace the bearings the timing belt drive pulley rides on. That would save me the trouble of pulling the engine. I have the fasteners off, and next I will remove the sump cover and see what sort of remote control 10mm socket wrench I need to gin up get the oil pipe off. If anyone says it can be done, then I will go for it. I have done some pretty intricate and difficult engine repairs, and on a scale of 1 to 10, so far this is about a 6.

thanks for your input, I am encouraged to go for it.

Andy

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    As stated, it can be done. Fred stated the risks most accurately regarding the potential leaks.

Pull the drain plug now and let the residual oil driop for a day or two before attempting....you will be glad you did. We pull the sump cover and take the car off the hoist for a day or two and put a huge cookie sheet under it and let it drip. This way whe we have to dig for gold getting the studs off the oil pump pick up we are not doing it with oil dripping down our necks.

Re think before digging.... is there any other reason that might justify pulling the engine?

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    And my mouse is a might sick ....................... and the wheel (cam belts) needs replacement :D

14. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Again, be SURE to read Verell's post on the process. I would also suggest a call to Verell BEFORE going any further. And there are 3 nuts holding the pump on, not two. (at least on my 83 Mondial)

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +1 for Verell's post. He is the man.

As with anything on these engines, take your time and you will not have any issues. The bearings and seals themselves are easy to source once all apart. I am very glad for you that it is not something more serious. I believe if we were to ask a dealer this question they would say this is an engine out issue??

16. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine

Agreed! I've tried the 308 timing drive bearings (inner and outer) with the engine in the car (with Verell as my guide), and ended up snapping a stud that holds the timing drive case, so ended up pulling the engine to retap the stud anyway. In the end, pulling the engine was not very difficult and I ended up replacing just about ever seal, gasket, etc I could- cleaned, painted, powder coated, etc the entire thing.

I made some errors and learned from them. Here is the complete story (yes, we did the bearings twice!!):

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28437

In conclusion, if there are other nagging neaks, grubby oily components, major service due, shift-shaft seals new replacing, etc- I'd just pull the engine- JMHO. I'm not sure of your experience with the 308, but having full access to the lump during this service was a joy.

Good luck! John

17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hey I can definitely agree to that. Great time to clean stuff up and take care of little niggling issues, plus it makes the job at hand far easier aside from the r&r of the drivetrain anyway

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #18 Verell, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    If it's just the timing drive bearings, then quite a bit less work to do it in the car. If there's some other big things you want to do, probably easier to pull the engine.

Some of the most detailed threads about doing this project w/o removing the engine are mine & robertgarvins threads in the old ferrarichat archives:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/18741.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/21198.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/7992.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/8707.html

Here's a procedure for just replacing the outer bearings:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103998&highlight=cam+drive

I'll be happy to help coach you thru the process. Make sure your profile has your eMAIL address correct, then click on my name & send me eMAIL. I'll respond with my phone #.