BBi Steering feel | FerrariChat

BBi Steering feel

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    For those who've gotten into this - what parts do I need to go after now to tighten up the front end. If I touch the wheel rim, and move the steering wheel a tiny amount, I feel the response at the wheel rim. The control arm bushings look reasonable. I don't like the feel.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I dont understand. You move the steering wheel a bit and you feel the rim move. Thats whats supposed to happen, the steering wheels is supposed to control the direction of the front wheels lol :). My car is setup to spec. I had it checked at work on the rack and compared it to the manual just to make sure everything was ok. Aside from the crappy TRX wheels im happy with the handling. I can feel a very slight amount of play in the wheel when im in that super anal frame of mind and I look for problems.

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you. I'm saying there isn't much slop between steering wheel input, and wheels - which is a good thing. I have super dooper Michelin 18" Pilots, and it just feels loose at center. :( It seems that the steering wheel does not stay aligned / go back to center every time. I might bring it back to the alignment shop. The rack seems solid. Tie rod ends appear good? The steering shaft seems tight. Ball joints??? My BBi DOESN'T have that many miles on it. My Fiat had 230,000 miles on it when the ball joints started to show wear.

It doesn't handle like my 308. It comes back to center perfect every time, and feels great!

4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Bruce,

This will answer all your of questions...and then some. Feel free to give me a PM or call if you'd like more information how how to tighten up the steering response. And...no matter what you do, your BB/BBi will not feel like a 308, in any respect ;)

David

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185783

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks for that! I feel better knowing it's kind of the character.

One thing:
    "As some of you may know, the Boxer does not use any rubber in the design of her control arm bushings. Rather, it is a very clever, robust design which uses a hardened "pin" within a replaceable "wrist pin" type collar, with a corresponding "wear surface" thrust washer. Although this is a very long lasting design, wear can (and does occur) if the rubber seal rings deteriorate and road sand/dirt gets into the bushngs."

Maybe the 365 has the metal bearings (which I'm a big fan of) like the 308 in the rear, but the BBi has those rubber silentbloc bushings all over.

I will check those ball joints.

6. Mario Pano

Mario Pano Formula Junior

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If you were to compare on a low mile BB the steering rack bushings to the frame can make the largest difference if everything is stock and in great shape.
    They are extremely soft stock and you can use the same exact shape and size from a 308 ac mounts I think if I remember right ...they are black and much higher durometer rubber where the boxer ones are a light color.
    Poly ones work as good also.

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I had my whole suspension reworked last summer, readily-available poly bushings wherever possible, and James (Norwood's) fabricated some of what wasn't available from Delrin (IIRC). Drives like a totally different car, and the rubber that's not there anymore won't degrade in a few years.