DAMN !!!!!!!!! | FerrariChat

DAMN !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by henryr, Apr 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aja

aja Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    pepper pike,oh
    Full Name:
    adam adelstein
    My father had a 97 550 first yellow one in the usa, that car was fast as .... Till this day my father wishes he never got rid of that car.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    So he should buy this one!

3. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    What's up with the VIN???

4. Grant

Grant Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Denver, CO USA
    It's Euro - they give the actual VIN in the description...

5. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    This puts the nail in the coffin of the "re-sale red" argument -- at least when it comes to Maranellos. At any given time, it seems the least expensive 550 or 575 for sale in the market is almost invariably a red one. There goes that theory.

ketel

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    550s are incredibly hard to sell on anyways. I've been browsing the european market (not looking to buy, just studying for no apparent reason:() for over a year and still pretty much all the same cars are still there, barring a couple Red/black and grigio titatinio examples having been sold.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #8 GCalo, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "WE CAN'T IMAGINE THERE IS A BETTER CAR OUT THERE FOR THE MONEY - TWO YEARS AGO YOU COULDN'T BUY A TESTAROSSA THIS CHEAP!!!"

Maybe so but they are selling a 550 here and not a Testarossa!

It's a gray market car! Has a tag from NAPA, CA!.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Here is a little secret, only two can do CARB certification for CA: One is NCDL in Napa and the other is in Long Beach. The NCDL guys are good and this is a 50 state car.

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That's good to know but it still is not a Testarossa!!!

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    She's been here a while. This car was for sale back in 2001 through Greg Martucci of Stoughton, Massachusetts; red/black, books and tools, all paperwork, 7,100 miles. I think the current mileage on the car is great, and if it's been service recently, someone is going to get an amazing car at an unbelievable price.

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    What are you waiting for?

It has a black interior!!

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...! It would need to be black on the outside, too; and have black wheels; and tinted windows; and smoked lenses all around.

...and I would need $59,895. :)

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Well for where you live you could get that all done for a hundred bucks and then you'd have a great car!

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    had to say.

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That would be well covered in the hundred bucks I mentioned.

Find a few guys not busy in one of the stills near by and give them the spray cans.

They'll do a great job for you.

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    There is nowhere on Long Island where I could get all of that done for a hundred dollars. Wait, let me rephrase that... There is nowhere on Long Island where I could go - whose work I would trust - to get all of that done for a hundred dollars. :)

Are you kidding me...? It's less than that...! And unless you know something about Rustoleum that I don't, there's a company out there that makes a 'high performance wheel coating' in a rainbow of colors - one of which is matte black. I should know - I used it on my Sentra with great success. :)

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No way am I entrusting the deep, rich, thorough and beautiful blackness of my wheels to a few 'not busy' guys.

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Very true, particularly in this market. But their time will come, someday. It is interesting to think what this market is doing to the 550's heritage. I think a lot of examples are going to be destroyed because of the difficulty to get rid of them - these low prices make them available to people with small wallets and if you haven't got the cash to run one, they go downhill pretty quickly. Good 550's are becoming rarer every day.

Onno

19. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I think the Maranello heritage will be just fine over the long haul. Look what happened to the Daytona (a Ferrari so often compared to the Maranello as being it's older brother). In the early to mid-1970s the oil crisis killed the value of those cars -- not to mention what it did to the Detroit muscle cars. Stories abound about cars being burned or buried under questionable circumstances because resale collapsed and struggling owners were eager to collect insurance payouts. Additionally, as values stayed down, many Daytonas were "cut" into Spyders (a modification you can never undo) or were bastardized in other ways -- effectively taking them off the market permanently.

So, how many of those originally manufactured 1,273 365GTB/4 coupes survive intact today? Who knows, but it's nowhere near 1,273. The few original and unmolested examples that survive now command 15-25x their original sticker price.

ketel

20. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Anyone who thinks that a Maranello is not a fantastic handling car has never driven one. The difference in performance between a Maranello and a Modena is much more likely to be the driver than the car. I was out with a group last weekend. The torque of the 550 matches up with the speed of the F-1 transmission in a 360 or 430 very well. With its huge fuel tank, we don't have to stop to fill up as often. Game, set, match.

This car looks like a great driver prospect. Drive the wheels off of it.

21. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Pose that argument to a dealer, broker or collector and most will disagree even with Maranellos. A modern classic finished in Ferraris #1 classic color is certainly good inventory. IMO condition and history will ultimately determine resale unless the car in question is finished in so called 'off colors.'

22. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Fair enough, but I will respectively disagree in one area. While it's true that red will always be the "default" color for Ferraris, I would posit that the Maranello appeals to a slightly different demographic than the more stereotypical Ferrari model that laypeople often associate with the brand - 360, 430, 308, 328, 355, Testarossa, etc etc. Those Ferraris will always be more popular in red. Maranellos I would throw in the camp of other long-bonnet front-engine V12 GT Ferraris of old - 275s, Daytonas, Lussos, etc -- where red is not necessarily the color that is most flattering.

The people who end up gravitating to the long-bonnet GT cars (and have the means, naturally) tend to be folks that own A LOT of other vehicles and having a "red" Ferrari at that point in their life is not a requirement. Perhaps they popped their cherry years ago when they bought their first Ferrari - likely a red 308 -- and the lure of a red Ferrari (and the attention--wanted and unwanted--that goes along with it) wore off pretty fast.

Anyhow, I don't want to get off on a whole rant on this lest people think I am anti-red, which I am definitely not. Most Ferraris look best in red; I just don't think Maranellos are one of them and, at least in what I see, the market seems to agree with me because every time I look at all the Maranellos available for sale, the cheapest ones around are always red.

Just my opinion.

ketel

23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1,

24. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #25 fou, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
    Tsk, Tsk. Did you ever read the book how to lie with statistics? The most popular color and most manufactured is red. It therefore makes sense that you see more red cars at the bottom of the price ladder. Because there are so many more red automobiles, you see the cars apportioned to condition rather than color. You see more red, because there are more.

The odds of a red car being in the shape and condition to demand less money is more likley than any other color, not based on the desirability.