Would you watch "F1" without Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Would you watch "F1" without Ferrari?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you still follow "F1" if Ferrari pulled out?

1. Yep - Makes no difference to me, I love F1 regardless

2. I guess I'd tune in on occasion

3. Screw that - I'd be done with the whole thing!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

All this debate got me wondering - If they pulled out would you still follow F1 without 'em?

Cheers,
    Ian

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This year we are.... :(

But to answer your question, yes I would but with nowhere near the enthusiasm.

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This fiasco hasn't been real F1 for some time. Their *ONLY* connection to the past is Ferrari.

Spa, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Watkin's Glen, Imola, the "real" Ring, etc. -- all gone or hanging under threat.

Jaguar, Aston Martin, Maserati, Alfa, Mercedes (under their own name), Auto Union (Audi), etc, etc: all the classic names are gone ... Except Ferrari.

Without Ferrari, FOM would have to be called "the racing series that used to have a connection to F1".

4. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    F1 has been practically without Ferrari this season. Still watching, always have.

5. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    well even if they don't do well, they are still on the track,
    If they weren't here at all it wouldn't be the same.

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Honestly, Ferrari drew me into F1, and that was when they sucked in the early 90's. While I laud drivers like Senna, Hakkinen, & Hamilton (and Alonso, even though he grates on me), this has always been about watching my favorite team compete to win. Those guys are simply foils to my protagonists in the F1 story. When they win, I give them credit for getting the job done and for their superior skill, but I would not follow the series if there were no Ferrari. Same with sports car racing; I didn't consider it a real series until Ferrari teams started joining the fold.

My answer is a resounding 'no'. It wouldn't be worth getting up at 4:30a to see a series without the Scuderia.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1. Add the "real" Hockenheim Ring to the list of tracks. That was my second favorite F1 venue. I understand pulling the 'Ring due to driver safety, but I never understood why Hockenheim was changed, except for modernization.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I voted no.

9. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Same for me. Would sort of be like the Yankees pulling out of baseball. The sport would probably survive, but wouldn't be the same thing. Lets hope we're not telling future generations we can remember the day when Ferrari used to compete in F1.

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great post, I have very similar views especially about the drivers.

I can honestly say I don't know if I would watch F1 without Ferrari. What I do know is, whether you love them or hate them, the hole they would leave would be massive.

So for me, for certain I would look at getting my racing fix else where, It wouldn't take that much thought, as the old senile gits running it are seeing to that.

11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    No. Ferrari is to F1 what the New York Yankees are to MLB. I'm not a Yankee fan, but Ferrari is the crem' de la crem' (sp?) of Formula One.

IMHO

Joe

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There is another catagory missing;

Yes I would watch but it wouldnt be the same.

13. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Come on Steve where are you going to get a satisfactory fix other than with F1? What other racing is televised that would give you the same kick as F1? And don't tell me you'd get your thrills going down to Oulton to watch Caterhams! ;)

14. FerrariF1

FerrariF1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would still watch it even with out Ferrari. What else would you watch? It is the best motor racing period and ton more interesting than any other racings. However I do miss MS in red car and his interviews.

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Honestly, I'd choose to watch the back of my eyelids if Ferrari were out of Formula 1. I probably should be doing that anyway.

16. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #16 Neonzapper, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    It would be a big empty hole, that's for sure! I have seen racing change before. The two biggest examples here in America are the Indy 500 and NASCAR.

When I was a boy, the Indianapolis 500 was the biggest race in American motorsport. It would be run with cars from different manufacturers, and the winning car from each year was displayed in the Indy 500 Museum. It was as American as apple pie! Back in my day, the race could be heard live on the radio, then it was telecast on ABC's Wide World of Sports the Saturday before Memorial Day - a big deal! When I got a little older, I rode my bike to a local movie theater to see a "Live Simulcast" from satellite of the Indianapolis 500. Eventually, it was telecast "Live" - ooh ahh! And, the Pace Car was as big a deal as the race itself - always an American Muscle Car with lettering on the side (which could be ordered from dealerships in limited quantity). Of course, the Indianapolis 500 is still a big deal race here, but compared to the past it is not even close! It is ALL Honda with a very different following. It only took two generations to forget it's full past history.

As for NASCAR, the name isn't broken down anymore (National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing) because there are no more "stock" cars. The type of cars raced are not stock, but they are still mostly American dominant - for now. The last generation has made NASCAR extremely popular here, but they never saw "stock" cars race in NASCAR.

F1 rules are changing the cars - the way they look, drive, pit, etc. The new rules and the economy are forcing heavy demands on constructors. So, F1 concievably could no longer have different constructor manufacturers represented, or possibly change in some other way. Hopefully it would take more than just 2 generations to wipe out the memory of Ferrari in F1 - if that sad day were ever to happen.

17. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    The F1 isnt what it used to be, i have shifted my attention to MOTO GP/WSBK, now thats real racing with some strong Italian pedigree represented by Aprilia and Ducati

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think I was a bigger Ferrari F1 fan in the 80's when they were really struggling. If they leave F-1, Bernie and Max can keep what's left in my book.

This year is only interesting because of the surprise of some smaller teams kicking butt. If McLaren was running away this year, I doubt most of us would be as excited as we are now in the season.

I think Brawn and Red Bull are actually saving F-1. They are proving that you can be a smaller team and still succeed. I don't think many thought that was possible for quite a while.

19. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    i chose the first one, but it will be a little different with ferrari, i guess..i'll still enjoy watching f1 without the red cars though..

20. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    I stopped watching once Schumacher retired. I watched Senna, Prost and Schumacher because they were very special talents, of major historical proportions.

No one like that currently, plus, I don't know if it's because of the various rules changes, etc., just doesn't seem as compelling anymore.

21. SeaGate

SeaGate Karting

Mar 21, 2007
    PNW
    Full Name:
    PEMA
    I'm still watching now and its almost like Ferrari isn't there anyway.

22. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Without Ferrari, we would still watch on TV, but would the fans go to the races ?

What do you think the crowd would be in Italy ?

As far as the Poll question goes, I would have preferred 'Yes, I would still watch' without the 'I love F1 regardless' on the end of it.
    I don't love F1 anymore, but I would watch more often than not.
    That is, unless McLaren starts winning, then I would drop it.

23. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    GOOD POINT !

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL I hear you Ian, I'am struggling with that..I can move on...but the televised bit.. not thought about that.

BTCC is brillant racing IMO. But If F1 stays the fastest most creative ....ahhh who knows..;)

25. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    With no Ferrari, I'd stop watching F1.