Problem filling up the tank in Calif? | FerrariChat

Problem filling up the tank in Calif?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MalibuGuy, May 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I live in So Cal and a few months ago I noticed that whenever I was filling up my gas tank, the nozzle would cut off automatically every few seconds.
    I found out that the nozzles have been updated with a new vapor system that has a conflict with the fuel vapor systems on certain cars. If you can prevent the nozzle from making a perfect seal with the car's fuel inlet you can fill your tank and not run the risk of over flow.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yes, you are right. My Maserati spyder is particularly bad but my F430 also has a problem with the evaporative nozzles in CA. You have to fill it slowly and hold the nozzle at the correct angle or it will auto shut down many times for each fill. On the Maserati, it's almost impossible to fill the tank completely. It can be a bit embarrassing.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

In some instances I'll grab the plastic seal and move it back so that the fuel will flow. It's just a matter of playing with it until you find the right angle, seal adjustment that works. Never really thought much of doing it.

4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Yep... slowly but surely it seems all the pumps are changing to this new design.

My 430 isn't that bad as I always stand there with the pump in-hand to make sure it doesn't overflow, but with my Gallardo it's become a real trick to get the nozzle to engage. I need to slide the gas cap behind the filler neck and use the on-end gas-cap to push up on the nozzle sleeve to engage the pump.

I'm sure it's good for the environment... so it's worth it.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    the 360 can be a little touch at some stations. Sometimes turning the nozzle a bit helps. As the tank fills up, it tends to become worse. I usually only fill the tank up about 1/2 way, since I like to keep the weight down a bit. Also a little less gas on board is helpful in the event that the tank was compressed due to an impact or something.

I usually just put in 5 or 10 gallons at a time, since I usually only drive around town.

Ray

6. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    thanks. same problem here (norcal). i hadn't put 2+2 together though.

7. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have the same problem with my 360. someone should invent a "cuff" that could be placed over the fuel inlet. There is a cuff for motorcycles. http://www.mccuff.com/

I wonder if such a thing would work for Fcars ?

Regards,

Stew

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    on my bike, I just pull the hose thing back about an inch and then it fills up fine. Same for filling up my little gas can that I use for my chainsaw. Just pull the vapor recapture stuff back a bit and then you can pump the gas no problem.

Ray

9. ddnguyen

ddnguyen Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Duane
    This kept happening on my 550 and I was ready to bring it in to get diagnosed.... Thanks for saving me the time and money!

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Hey I was right there with you- going to make a service appt and ask them to see if there was something wrong with my fuel inlet!

I have found a little trick using the black rubber pull loop for the engine lid as a spacer so I don't have to stand there pulling the trigger and holding back the rubber cuff. I hope that it isn't dangerous.

11. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I have the same with my 360. Holding the nozzle at "4 o'clock" helps though.

*None of your "I'll get gas at whatever time suits me" malarky*

12. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    My Porsche Turbo and my 360 have this problem. I turn the nozzle all the way upside down and it cures it.

Gets you some funny looks too!

13. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    My Elise has this problem, the angle of the inserted fuel nozzle isn't exactly right, or the seal isn't all there. I do the following to make sure I get the full tank (and since mine is only 9 gal, I try and get as much as I can in there!)

1. Try to adjust the angle to get the nozzle as deep in as you can. The "shallow" insertion often causes the seal between the car and the nozzle to go, and vapor recovery shuts off fuel flow
    2. Most pump handles have two modes, "slow" and "fast", characterized by two separate lock notches. Lock the notch in the "slow" position. Takes a bit longer to fill, but less chance of error.
    3. Hold the pump handle the whole time if you need to. If the pump is just too stupid and keeps shutting off, holding the handle will tell you when you're full. Like if the shutoffs happen every 30 seconds, you've still got room. If they start happening every two seconds, you're now topping off.
    4. Never walk away from the pump if it's locked and pumping. Did that once to buy a candy bay, and found the handle on the ground with a puddle of fuel under the car and a good bit draining down the side of the car !!! I know noone did that on purpouse because it was 1 AM and the station was empty. Pump nozzle must have just shot out of the tank on its own. No damage to the vehicle though, just a lot of wiping with paper towels and smelling like a trucker the whole way home!

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK

[GCalo mode]I always pull an inch out of her before filling her up![/GCalo mode]

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    If an inch is all you have no wonder you need more gas!!!

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Is that the only time you hold your nozzle?

17. traknut

traknut Karting

Mar 30, 2006
    I live in NJ and have the same problem. I now fill a 5 Gallon can at the local station and put it in my self at home.

18. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    Yup, this seems to do it. I also typically have good luck between 2 and 4 o'clock. (the nozzle, that is) This is on an '07 430

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

Is that the best time of the day to fuel a car?

20. modenaboy

modenaboy Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Gordie
    With the Gallardo, the $2.00 plastic ring from the hardware store works magic - although I have to point the back of the nozzle with the grip towards the back of the car (not sure if I can link from other forums, but google for gallardo filling up gas tank, its on lamboweb's help pages).

I had the same problem someone mentions above with my Lotus - the pump shot out of the poor car, I saw it do it. Now I am careful to hold on!

Never had problems with the 430, but maybe I naturally held it at the right angle (or "time of day")

21. 308Gutsygtsi

308Gutsygtsi Rookie

May 16, 2009
    #21 308Gutsygtsi, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    i got one of the mccuff things as a gift from my girl... she picked it up at the love ride show in october.

i use it on my bike and i picked one up for my 'Gutsy' (gtsi), because the stupid nozzles here are such a pain just like the first person said.

It does in fact make filling up much easier and cleaner... and it comes with a special bag so no worries about fuel.

I heard that mccuff company already has this unit for cars selling at classic car shows too. They use them on Cobras alot.

I like it. Then again I'm new here, who cares what i think :)

Tim

22. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for you reply. Please fill out your personal information. (as much as you care to)

Regards,

Stew

23. MrTheKid

MrTheKid Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jonny Pickens
    #23 MrTheKid, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    werd...
    turn the pump to 3 or 4 o'clock

oh and BTW

full service is the way to do it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think the reason for this problem is excessive fumes in the tank that sets off a sensor in the pump nozzel to shut down.

I only run into this problem when the tank is low and I've been driving on curving roads or fast stop and go with no/very little wait time before pulling the cap to refill.