??Sell my CS for a 430 spider?? | FerrariChat

??Sell my CS for a 430 spider??

Discussion in '360/430' started by [email protected], May 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    I have had my CS for about 4 years now and love the fact that it is so "raw"... a real race car feel that I can take out whenever I need the "fix"; however, lately I have the urge for something a bit quiter and yet still very fast and exciting.
    The $ aspect is that the CS seems to have held value better than other high number Ferraris and I assume that I might get a great deal on a 430 spider. What think, will I be underwhelmed with the 430 after living with my CS? Do you think that I will get more use out of the 430 since it is a bit more "refined"?
    Has anyone made the switch?? Please don't advise me to keep the CS and buy a 430 Spider...I can't swing that.

2. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks Ron... the threads that you posted are exactly what I was looking for.
    I haven't been active for a while and had no idea how this question had generated so much passionate discussion!
    I do admit that when I take the CS out, it just screams Ferrari!
    The 430 experience is no comparison.
    Thanks again.

3. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    If you only drive occassionally, I would think you should keep the CS.

4. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    I will put this as calmly as I possibly can: ARE YOU NUTS!!!

Dude, the CS is one of the all time best Ferraris. The F430 is a great car but very Vanilla. The CS for a Scud maybe. But not a standard F430.

5. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1; keep the CS!!!!

6. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    Wow...I am totally convinced. Yes, there are days that I wish I had a Ferrari for an evening out with my fiance, to dinner etc. where she won't have a headache after the ride [ I could load her up with Tylenol!]. I must say that for me, the CS is the real essence of the Ferrari driving experience! I have driven the Scuderia and while the F1 transmission is lightning fast and the torque and HP are better, there is still something about the CS that makes me prefer it over the Scuderia...just seems more spartan and rough [ maybe that is my imagination but that was my impression!] The steering response also feels a bit better than the Scud. [in all fairness, my time in the Scud. is only brief]
    I would love to hear further comments about the CS vs the 430 and also the Scud.; what about the Scud. Spider, is it out yet and has anyone driven it???
    I did read the article in Forza comparing the CS to the Scud., but I really would love to hear member's experiences comparing CS to Scud. and the Scud. spider.

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The CS will turn out in Ferrari history to be one of those exceptional vehicles that comes along very rarely, and consequently will be more desirable than any other recent production Ferraris. There were fewer CS's built than F40's and the CS was perfect for its intended purpose - an eminently trackable street car that demanded some level of skill and commitment to fully enjoy it. The Scud on the other hand is much more refined. Even though it is faster is is also less exciting (IMO) and is really a regular unlimited production car.

The differences between a 430 Spider and a CS are too myriad to enumerate, but they are totally different cars in every way. Unless you have had a personality transplant, the swap will leave you feeling empty and upset.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I've heard the 430 described by any number of adjectives ..........................but never vanilla ! You may want to go drive one for @ 30 minutes and decide if that's an accurate description . Just my 2cents .

9. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
  10. mooose

mooose Karting

May 27, 2008
    Dude, keep the CS man! Its a no brainer!

11. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If your not a track day freak there is no substitute for the top down experience! Sure the CS is a great car but if your goal is the best street car to have the most fun in and also hit the town and dinner the spider is the way to go. Pretty soon there won't be a CS left without a story anyway!

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

R U NUTZZZZZZZZZ
    Keep the CS bro.....:)

13. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    #14 Derek Trotter, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've owned all three. Still own the Scuderia so my comments may appear biased to you. Alex summed it up best with his comments comparing the 430 Spider vs the CS. I also agree with someone's comment that the 430 is "vanilla." The car is just too soft for me. Now to the CS. It has been the only Ferrari I regretted selling (until the Scuderia came along). I eventually sold it because my wife couldn't stand the "rawness" of the car. But I too found myself driving the car less and less. It became a $200k car that sat in the garage. I really had to be in a frame of mind to put up with all negatives the CS. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I sold it and went to the 430. If you want the top down experience buy something other than the 430 Spider. Now to the Scuderia. For me this is the perfect Ferrari. I can't wait to drive it. It doesn't matter if it's a 2 mile drive or 200. Is it worth a $100K more than a CS ... probably not. Is it as rare ... nope. But if there are keys on the kitchen table for a CS, 430 Spider, or a Scuderia I'm taking the Scuderia 100% of the time. Bottom line I wouldn't trade the CS for a 430 Spider.

15. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    Jeff and the Doc .....Wife& Fiance get headaches and dont like the rawness of the CS?????? Tell the girls to buy there own Ferrari! Sometimes blows me away with what modern man puts up with. LOL!!!

16. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #17 Barrister, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    Driven many my friend. Funny you would assume I have not.

Maybe you need to drive a CS.

My .2 cents.

17. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Smart move to sell the CS, many others have and is why prices are falling below $150k.
    Yes, its a nice boy racer, but not livable for the reasons you show.

The F430 is more relaible, more enjoyable with top down and can be used in many more casual situations than the CS.

18. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    Lots of different opinions here but clearly the consensus is keep the CS and do not get the 430.

I must say that I love Ferrari forv the Race Car experience, history and the fact that the CS makes you really feel that you are in a race car. Yes, I have had it to the track Many times and the ability of the CS is WAY beyond my abilities as driver; I have been to driving school and at every track event I always use an instructor to allow my skills to grow... in my lifetime, I do not think that I will ever get to the point where the CS will "bore" me! The 430, I am guessing, will be a very different driving experience...more civilized and not give me that "OMG" experience. Remember, I am going by what others have explained since I have never driven a 430 Spider.

I do not have much time for track events anymore but still could maybe make one event/year. I know, the decision is only up to me, but I love hearing others imput!
    What is the 430 [Spider, not coupe] like on the track, does it give you the "Holy Crap" feeling that the CS does or is it a serious step down?

I welcome lots of responses esp. those that have had the CS and 430 Spiders on the Track and have driven them seriously.

Does the 430 Spider need a rollbar at Limerock, Watkins or Pocono or does the factory hoops meet the rules, even though it clearly not safe?

Tom

19. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    I´ve driven the CS and 430 quite abit on track among others. CS is superior in terms of fun and wow factor. For sunny days and cruising get the 430 spider.

For adrenaline and huge smiles on your face keep the CS.

20. Evolution

Evolution Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    CS obviously.. IMHO..

21. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Yes and no... Yes, CS prices have been coming down, but are not "falling". CS prices have actually held fairly well relative to other modern Fcars. No, CS is actually quite "livable" and really just depends on what one likes, rawness vs. luxury top down. I doubt a very large percentage of folks selling their CS's is due to the "boy racer" status or "not livable reasons" indicated. Is the F430 really more reliable? More enjoyable? Again, purely subjective. I drove a F430 spider and CS back-to-back last weekend and the CS was much more enjoyable from a driver's experience perspective. Yes, F430 spider may be better suited for "more casual situations than the CS", but again, depends on what one prefers/enjoys more.

22. rtajaly

rtajaly Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    If you hang on to the CS, it'll go up in price eventually--you can be sure of that. It's what happens to all limited production Ferraris--they'll fluctuate for a while, and in 10 years you'll have a nice investment on your hand.

For the top-down experience, why not get something you wouldn't mind parking at the mall? BMW makes a lot of nice convertibles, and so does Mercedes. I have a preference towards Aston Martins, but heck, even a nice Miata will give you the top-down experience that you're craving. This way you can keep your rare Ferrari, and have the top-down feeling as well.

Have your cake and eat it too.

23. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I love the limited production 355 Fiorano Spider, but they're at the 10 year mark now (only produced in '99) and I don't believe they're yielding any sort of "bump" in value...

+1

24. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    If you want to drive with the wife with the radio playing to the restaurant and back home with no "race car feel" and no drama, then stay with the 430.