New clutch at 5,000 miles | FerrariChat

New clutch at 5,000 miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedRacer, Apr 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    #1 RedRacer, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    Any 430 owners experience needing a new clutch around 5,000 miles? My clutch just tested as 91% spent and is being replaced.

2. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    Do you have an F1 or 6 speed manual?

3. 360racer

360racer Karting
    BANNED

Nov 19, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    ive heard of some needing to change it at 5000 before... its the way you drive your car, becareful not to hold the minus gear pedal and accelerate cause that would really burn and eat up on your clutch, ouchhh had it happen to a mate

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    99% of the time, it comes down to the driver mate. More abuse, means more wear and tear. :D:D

The 1% is if the PIS is out of adjustment. ;);)

Are the first owner from new? :):)

5. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I believe that you can only SD2 test the clutch wear on an F1 'box car.

Papster - Please advise me if I'm wrong :)

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #6 PAP 348, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Actually, the picture is coutesy Eugenio --- but I supplied with the gizmo late last year. :)

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I thought so, but wasnt 100% sure. :D:D

But, you were ever so kind to post the pics on Fchat. :D:D

Looks like a cute toy, gotta get me one, one day. ;);)

9. 360racer

360racer Karting
    BANNED

Nov 19, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    pap always comes up with the goodies

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Pappy has got what you need! ;);)

Let me have a look, I may have an Aussie delivered 2005 Stradale with books and 10K on the clock laying around somewhere in my garage! :eek::eek:

11. chatmaster

chatmaster Rookie

Jun 14, 2006
    So what actually causes these clutches to wear more; driving the car slowly in traffic and up and down driveways parking them or redline changes up and down the box?
    I've been hearing so many conflicting theories on this subject.

12. Juggernaut84

Juggernaut84 Guest

Dec 22, 2007
    Somewhere in Cali
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I hear in the F1 transmissions, you can due some serious damage to the clutch if you drive the car in auto mode. But I think that accounts to alot of city driving. In stop and go traffic, the clutch will heat up causing it to slip. The general rule of thumb, is to avoid heavy traffic if possible as it'll just eat away at it. If you are going down a steep driveway, it'll probably be best to put your car in neutral to begin with. In the end, it all comes down to operator error and how you drive the car.

13. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I can still smell my clutch from my 355 F1 I sold in 2001 after backing it up my driveway! :)

14. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    #14 The Ape, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    I got 20K miles out of my first clutch and fly wheel. That's 20K miles of Los Angeles daily driving. There are a few simple things to avoid to keep a healthy clutch life on your 430.
    To me they are all obvious. Im way too exhausted from a 2 hr workout to post anything more. PM me if you want.
    Ape

15. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Some 430's have pressure loss (leaking pressure). Usually the 3 screws at the actuator under hard driving/vibration can loosen.

There is a new TCU software update for the 430, started with the Scud

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Somebody's been having a goooood time with that car. If they can measure the amount of wear, it's an F-1!!!

17. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    At 14,000 miles, my clutch (F1) shows only 7% wear. Properly maintained, your clutch should not be worn at only 5000 miles.

Tim

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    are you sure they aren't reading it backwards... i.e. 9% wear. You should be able to peak into the inspection window on the bottom of the gear box and measure the thickness of the disc if I'm not mistaken. I have a hard time believing you have worn out 90% of the clutch in 5K miles, unless they were 5K of track miles or something.

Does the clutch slip if you put the car into 5th gear on the free way and floor it when going about 60 or 70 MPH? Normally a badly worn clutch can be broken loose in 5th gear under WOT. I had a car where I burned the face of the clutch and you could go down the highway, put the car into 5th gear, then floor it and the motor would rev and the tach would go up to redline without the car going appreciably faster :)

Ray

19. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    I only got 8,000 miles out of my clutch on my 355 (manual trans.). It was a kevlar clutch too!

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    No insult intended but you only get there by poor clutch use.

All good points. Track won't do it but it is possible if the clutch wasn't set up correctly and/or he drove it in stop & go a lot.

21. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'll see what wear I've put on my 360 in a few weeks. I've done over 10,000 miles in the 8 months I've owned it and don't really rev match as I shift. It's a manual, but doesn't seem to be giving at all. Do these clutches tend to slip as the get near the end of their life? Or if it reaches the slipping point I'm already trashing the flywheel?

22. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    Haha! Yeah, there may have been some premature clutch wear in this case.

23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Im on my original clutch
    52k miles 360 6 speed :)

24. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    It's an F1. I was surprised when the clutch slipped out while driving. The car has been driven in automatic mode for a total of 30 minutes out of 5,000 miles of driving. Most driving is canyon driving on runs with FCA So-Cal group.

Typically the car is not driving in traffic but I have been caught in LA traffic a number of times. I was advised by one friend that starting up from a standstill harder than softer keeps the clutch from slipping and being worn.

Any other words of advice helps.

Thanks.

25. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ultimately all clutch wear comes from partial engagement, mostly when starting out. With manuals, getting the clutch fully engaged as quick as you can with as low revs as you can wears the least. I would think with paddle cars doing the rev matching there would be almost no wear on shifts once moving. Certainly high rpm starts and riding the clutch at low speed will cause wear whether it's paddles or a stick.

Dave