Checking oil with no mess | FerrariChat

Checking oil with no mess

Discussion in '360/430' started by RAKLAW, May 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    Am I alone on this or can the oil be checked without making a mess of things.. Despite being super careful (paper towel, rag on dipstick end as it came out of filler pipe, and a funnel for adding oil) managed to spill a few drops on rear bumper and diffuser. Does everyone adhere to manual...only check oil when engine warm and idling.. Just about burned the crap out of my hand when turning the dipstick, till I realized I needed a rag or potholder to open the thing.. Jeez, this was not easy. Maybe if I was 6' 7" it would be a lot easier.

2. ronc123

ronc123 Karting

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I, too, was having trouble getting a good reading on the dipstick by following the instructions in the Owner's Manual. My mechanic showed me how to do it, and it seems to work for me. I am 6'-7" tall, so it does help. Very hot back there, be very careful. Following are the steps that I use.

1. Before I go for a drive, I have my leather glove for my right hand and paper towels handy.

2. After I go for a drive, I come back into my garage and eventually shut the car off.

3. I exit the car and pull the rear hatch handle to release the rear hatch.

4. Put the glove on, open the rear hatch, and unscrew the oil filler cap and remove it.

5. Wipe the dipstick clean with a paper towel.

6. Insert the dipstick so that it is resting on the threads of the filler neck.

7. Pull it back out and I see the oil level mark on the dipstick.

This process seems to work for me.

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Engine must be warm and running at idle speed when measuring the engine oil level.

4. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #4 Ferrarista3, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    Really?

I thought one should check the oil 20/30mins after the engine has been turned off (so that the oil is still warm, but it has dripped back to the oil pan).

When idling the engine is using oil...so I don't see how it can be measured accurately with the engine on?

Am I missing something? :eek:

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    There isn't an oil pan. It's a dry sump system which is why the engine needs to be running.

6. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #6 Ferrarista3, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    Ah yes of course...dry sump...my poor brain didn't think of that.

However, our 911 (which uses a dry sump system) will perform the automatic oil level check on the LCD screen only when the engine is off and it makes you wait a few minutes before measuring the oil level if you just turned it off. Why is that?