Whine if revving to max RPM... | FerrariChat

Whine if revving to max RPM...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marco Bussadori, May 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    Funny thing...

I noticed that if I do a bit of "spirited driving" eg. revving past 6000 rpm, then a strange whine starts. I'd have called it a belt squeal, but more of a whine. The funny thing is that it starts if I ever rev up past the 6000's. If not it never happens. Also, when I say it "starts" I mean just that, it kicks off, and stays there, even when I idle. The only way to make it stop is to switch the engine off, then restart it (immediately works fine).

Many times (as I need the flywheel to be regreased), I will switch the engine off while moving with the clutch pressed, then as soon as it stops, turn the ignition to "on" and re-engage the clutch to roll start the engine, and the noise is then gone...

Can't figure out for the life of me what causes this. It is from the front of the engine an a discernible whine which alters with RPM's, so it is surely due to one of the rotating parts.

Everything else works superbly!

Anyone known of such a thing?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Not "alternator whine" is it Marco?? :):)

3. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    I think I might have the same thing. It's bugged me for a couple of years now. Sounds like the whine in the radio from an unsuppressed alternator. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. I disconnected the entire speaker system and it's still there, so it's not the HiFi picking it up. Took alternator belt off and it still comes back, so it's not a bearing. Main dealer says it all sounds ok to him and quite normal. Had a full engine out main dealer service and nothing was found. Even replaced the water pump just in case.

To be honest, the more I drive hte car, the less it occurs - so I'm using the car more often now and the last few times I heard nothing.

It certainly doesn't sound like a serious noise - just irritating on the occasions when it occurs.

4. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I noticed a noise like that once, It disapered when I got the Capristo Level II and a test pipes on...So it MUST have been related to the stock back box.... lol

5. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    No not alternator or anything obvious like that. It is there radio on or off... Also i comes when the engine revs past (appx) 6K rpm's then keeps whining regardless of RPM (down to idle). It only goes away if I switch the engine off, then if I restart it is not there, until I pass around the 6K rpm mark. If I don't go over the appx. 6K rpm, it does not come on even if I drove all day (very boring below 6k)

The whine comes from the front of the engine, so wondering why the hell is going on? I'm going to take the belts off the power steering and AC then see if it is one of those. I'll try the alternator after (I'm sure I'll be able to run the car for 30 mins on the battery). If it is there after that then it may be related to a pulley on the cam belt ****!

M