456 Gas Leak Odor | FerrariChat

456 Gas Leak Odor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Consolr, May 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Consolr

Consolr Karting

Jun 12, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Scott MacK
    I was getting a gas odor in the car for awhile when I was driving it. Usually occurred after a long drive, and then the odor came around after I slowed down, at an idle or around a cloverleaf. I could never see visible leaks. Recently, I filled up at a service station after a long drive and saw a very small puddle of gas from around the firewall area. Then it seemed to go away. My mechanic can't find it now. Ideas?

2. volvowest

volvowest Rookie

Oct 27, 2006
    Alpharetta GA
    Full Name:
    Gil West
    I had a similar problem with my 575. The dealer replaced a fuel tank seal and all is well. They said it was a common problem.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the big plastic plug on the gas tank where the lines come in and out, is probably cracked. time and money consuming repair. if at all possible replace the stock plastic part with a re-make made of teflon to insure it doesnt happen again.
    other possibility, is that there is a crack in the pipe between the fuel filler collar, and the tank itself. cheap fix is to wrap that pipe with some aluminum tape.

4. borist

borist Guest

Had the identical problem couple of years ago and the dealer fixed it, no charge.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats interesting. do you happen to have a copy of that recall notice?

6. Consolr

Consolr Karting

Jun 12, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Scott MacK
    My "dealer" did a smoke test on the gas tank and apparently detected the leak and tried to fix it. It's better but not perfect. I will talk to him again with these suggestions.