Opportunity to drive boss's car. | FerrariChat

Opportunity to drive boss's car.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GLEXPilot, May 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    So here is the situation, as stated in a previous thread I am currently looking to by a used 360, something in the range of 100-130K. My boss is an avid Ferrari collector, and has offered to let me borrow his 430 for a few weeks to get as he calls it "the true Ferrari experience" before I buy one (His 360 is a CS and there is no way he lets that car out of his site). I am very tempted to take him up on the offer, however I am very apprehensive to do so, as I can not imagine what I would go through if anything happened to the car.

I have expressed my appreciation for the offer, but also relayed my concerns and told him I am really leaning towards not borrowing his car, he seemed almost offended that I am refusing. He said that its only a car, and he has insurance on it so I should not worry.

My question is this, while I have driven a few F-cars, it has always been with the owner in the car, and always on open roads, have any of you ever ended your car to anyone for more then a few minutes? And when you tell them it is only a car how would you truly react if something happened?

Thanks!

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Here's a thought -- talk to your insurance company about a blanket liability policy. It shouldn't cost a whole lot to add a million or so of coverage, and there's some peace of mind there.

I've lent mine out before, never had anything bad happen to it. Personally, though, I don't like driving cars that I can't write a check to cover.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Compromise and say sure, but as long as he goes along. It'll show him you're conscientious and will also reduce any risk of some unforeseen thing happening. Something happening to the boss's car isn't a good thing regardless of how generous he is and having insurance.

4. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    That is exactly it Tillman, you said in a few words what I struggled to. I can not pay for the 430 if something were to happen to it, so that is why I am uneasy in taking it. I think I will politely refuse again. I tell you guys though it is hard to give up the opportunity, but hopefully I will find my new (to me) 360 before the summer is up!

5. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Tell him you're worried his 'wonderful' 430 might spoil the 360 experience for you.
    You want to step up to the 360 and its gearbox and a few weeks driving his 430 would have you stepping backwards in that respect.
    Gives you a good reason for declining that has nothing to do with personalities etc and is based purely on gearbox response times.

6. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Well when put that way I am sure it will be alright!

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Modeler makes sense.
    On the other hand, here's to possibility to drive a 430 for a considerable amount of time, nothing to sneeze at either. You wouldn't take the car to an inner-city parking lot and leave it there until 3AM, justlike you wouldn't do so with your own car. The boss appears to be friendly towards you, so why not take him up on the offer?

When I graduated from college, a much older than me friend's examn present was that I got his 512 BB for a month. He knew full well that I could never pay for it if something happened to it. I took him up on the offer, and when I came to fetch the car, it was freshly serviced, on new tyres and with a full tank of petrol. There were 2 small glitches in that month, both mechanical, which I repaired myself, and I had an incredible experience @ age 21! Never regreteed it for 1 second, but it spoiled me for life.

8. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Last night on the flight home the boss was in the jumpseat and he asked me again about taking the car. I told him my worries again, and let him know how appreciative I am for the offer. He just does not take no for an answer very easily.
    He said "I trust you enough to fly my jet for me, I think you can handle my car." So I will be picking the car up from his warehouse this Saturday, I am very very excited, still nervous. Thanks for all the advice guys. When I get more serious about getting my 360 I will be picking everyones brain. Thanks againi!

9. ferio

ferio Karting

Mar 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Phil
    What an awesome offer. Post pics when you get it.

10. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    I would approach this the same way as dating the boss's daughter.

11. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Lennard
    Have fun! And don't forget to take some pics :)

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd be careful-- you should post this question (maybe in a more generic fashion) on propilotworld and see what kind of answers you get.

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    What.

A.

Boss!

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    +1

Is he hiring?

15. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #15 Tony K, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    There is a possibility that the car is owned by his company (or another LLC) and covered under its insurance, just as the jet is.

Regardless, I would do as Tillman says and get an umbrella policy, or whatever it is that would cover you.

Then I would gratefully accept the use of the car, and treat it like it were my own (that carefully).

Some people are incredibly protective and anal about their cars (like the guy with the $20k 308 who didn't allow a test drive to the guy who flew out to look at it), whereas others see it as "only a car." Additionally, the 430's value among his (or the company's) assets may not be as significant as someone else's Ferrari among their assets (percentage-wise).

For what it's worth, I once lent my 308 for a few weeks to a trusted friend who is a long-time car collector and exotic owner. He has demonstrated responsibility and competence with classic and exotic cars over and over again, has a good driving record, etc. I called my insurance company first and cleared it with them. He was very responsible with it, and I'd like to think I was responsible in my decision. Just use your common sense. :)

16. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Careful of the car or asking the question? I dont belong to propilotworld, or any aviation site for that matter. Thank you though for the recommendation.

I am going to borrow the car, only take it out when there is very little traffic on the road, and hopefully get to feel what it is like to have one of these cars before getting my own, although I do believe that the pleasure of actually knowing that you own it is something that can not be felt based on a few weeks of borrowing the car.

And Tony you are correct, the car is probably for him not very much money, our two jets combined were close to 80 million, but the point is that I can not afford a 430, therefore I was uncomfortable with borrowing the car, I will be getting a early 2000s 360 when I find the right car for me.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

17. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Seems like a very generous guy who clearly trusts you.

You should look into the insurance question posted earlier, this will ease your pain should something go very wrong.

Assuming you do borrow the car... do not move the Manattino (little red switch on the steering wheel) off of Sport mode. Race and CST/OFF modes reduce/eliminate the car's computer stability control. Staying in Sport mode will help you stay in a straight line.

Good luck.

18. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks FC, good point about the insurance, he tells me I am covered under his policy, however I will also check with my company as well.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    propilotworld is a good website, you'll enjoy it. Even if the resident ex-Gulfstream test pilot gives you a hard time about the BBD-700...

I'd be careful of the car, given that it's tied up with your employment situation. That said, you know your boss and your situation far better than any outsider, so if you're comfortable, then go ahead.

20. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Does the Gulfstream guy there not like the BBD? I tell you if it was up to me I would rather be flying the Gulfstream over the Global Express, but the boss rides in the back, so for him the Global Express offers much more comfort so that is what he got, and he went with the XRS which gives it the range it was meant to have. Beautiful airplane!

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think they're both neat airplanes, to be honest-- but the one which pays the bills is usually the best one!

22. jmm

jmm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Jim
    And you would be telling the truth.

23. GLEXPilot

GLEXPilot Rookie

Apr 20, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Do you really think that this is the case? I am so excited to finally be in a financial position to be able to afford a 360, I do not want to be disappointed with the car once I get it. Do you really find the 430 that much better than the 360? Enough to make me wish I got the 430 instead?

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #24 Rosso328, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    No. It may be true in that the 430 will shift faster than the 360, but not so much so that it would make a difference in normal driving conditions. On the track, definitely. On the street, even at an unadviseable speed, you will likely not push the limits of either car.

The 360 you buy will have the added advantage of being yours. And that is a feeling that far outweighs a 0.05 second difference in shift speed.

25. jmm

jmm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't want to start anything or argue about personal taste, but I went from a 360 Spider to a Challenge Stradale to an F430. The CS absolutely blew the 360 away (in my opinion, not necessarily in everyone's opinion). The 360 was an "03 model. Without enumerating all the differences, suffice it to say that the CS had a "fun factor" that was missing in the Spider. The F430 is not everything the CS was but its differences make it hard to choose which is the more desirable. There are better and worse things about both, but the Spider is not one that I would consider if all three were there to choose. Price matters, though and the recent fall makes the F430 more attainable by far than it was two years ago. Some say the 360 is prettier than the F430 but to me they are about the same in looks, with the F430 having a much better looking interior. Maintenance and reliability are something to be considered as well and it could be that your boss would like to sell you that F430 (or is it a 430 Spider?) and thinks you'll be spoiled by it. The search for a 360 is going to be frustrating and worrisome and the F430 will be right there with all stories known. Many F430's will still have a warranty and you may need that. Just some things to consider now that 430's are as cheap now as 360's were a couple of years ago.