A car company that actually made a profit! | FerrariChat

A car company that actually made a profit!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Anthony_Ferrari, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=37741
    ;)

2. Fastpants

Fastpants Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    South Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Isn't Porsche the most profitable car company in the world, averaging nearly $30K profit on EACH car sold? That's how they were able to buy 20% of VW, if I'm not mistaken.

Not raining on Ferrari's parade, mind you. Good to hear things are well in Modena!

Does anyone happen to know Ferrari's average profit per unit sold?

3. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    I believe Subaru can be put into this category also. The don't make Porsche's profits but they haven't been losing money.

4. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    i wish they could figure their story out.

5. chatmaster

chatmaster Rookie

Jun 14, 2006
    Last I heard Porsche made all their money from FOREX, the cars actually lost money.

6. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    "giant Italian Comp"? Ferrari is a small company.
    Porsche i made a profit in the car division and made some winning bets in FX and derivatives

The global auto landscape is changing quickly. It will be interesting to see whos left standing.

7. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    That's not correct. Porsche does make a profit, but not on car sales, it was on FOREX as discussed. The $30k per car idea comes from the forumla if you divide the company's profit into the number of cars sold.

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    They are referring to Fiat ---- which owns Ferrari.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    ?????
    I believe you are mistaken ----- It is the VW group which owns Porsche (and Audi) ---- has been that way for several decades now.

10. Demigod555

Demigod555 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    SF
  11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #11 JoeZaff, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Actually, after the Cayenne's runaway success, Porsche turned the tide and now owns a controlling stake of VW. In fact, at the last general meeting, they announced they would boost their ownership share of VW common stock to 75%, it has been 50.76% since 1/5/09.

However, Just today, they announced some kind of merger the details of which I can't really recall. I'm sure the article is still available online.

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I think that Porsches original intent was to take control of VW through some financial manipulations and a change in the arcane German laws unique to VW. While they succeeded the change in the car market made them rethink the ownership structure and as of today the plan is for Porsche to become another VW division like Audi and Skoda.

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Fiat owns Ferrari, Fiat lost money. So one division turned a profit. I would bet that atleast one division of GM turned a profit too in the last quarter. Good for Ferrari, but how much was made off of trinkets vs. auto sales?

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Oh god......VW NEVER owned Porsche.

15. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    what will be interesting if the merger goes thru will be Porsche & Lambo. Will they combine it to form Porschghini or Lamporsche? Germans and Italians back at it again!

Separately when i drove a Jag my friends would make fun of me for driving a Chrysler. Now, will they make fun of my Fcar, calling it a Chrysler?! :0

16. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    When was Jag owned by Chrysler?

17. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is great news, honestly. Always good to hear the team is winning, even if their team isn't.
    :)

_J

18. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Oops Ford...

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota