Ignition Problem, 1989 328 GTS | FerrariChat

Ignition Problem, 1989 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by [email protected], May 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tim@timmikel.com

Mar 21, 2009
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim Mikel
    Frequently, when I turn the key to start the car, the usual dash lights go on, etc., but the engine does not turn over, just clicks once then nothing. Sometimes it happens one time, and then the next try the engine will turn over. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to turn over, and sometimes it just starts right up the first time. This is not a huge problem, but I'm afraid at some point it won't turn over at all, and I'm going to be stuck somewhere!

Have any of you had anything similar happen to you?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tim

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    This might be simplistic, but how old is your battery? Have you checked for corrosion on the terminals?

Mine exhibited the same symptoms, fortunately it was just a battery.

3. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I also think that you have to look at the battery but it might well be as simple as better connect the cables to the battery. Remove the cables, clean and use some vaseline and put the cables on again and tighten them well. Also look at the mass cable if it is well connected without corrosion to the steel body.

Success,
    Menno (1988 328 GTS)

4. D.J.

D.J. Karting

Mar 15, 2008
    East Norriton, Pa
    Full Name:
    Douglas J Schrack
    Tim
    Be careful on this, my switch did the same thing and as I tryed to get the key out, almost as if in slow motion I watched the spark travel down to the fuse box and puff..., smoke and fuse box meltdown.

Doug

5. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    What you're describing sounds to me like what my car suffered and recently another FChatter's 308 suffered. In both our cases it was the white wire (to battery) connection at the ignition switch being loose or otherwise weakly connected. You can check yours by contorting yourself on your back, legs and waist sticking out of the car, torso angled under the dash directly beneath the ignition switch looking up. Check the connection and secure if necessary, see if your issue continues.

It's probably the easiest thing to check.

6. tim@timmikel.com

Mar 21, 2009
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim Mikel
    I made sure that the white ignition wire was connected well, and the cleaned, lubricated, and tightened both battery terminals.

Well, these appear to have solved the problem!

I'm very grateful. Thanks guys so much!

Tim

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    As others have said, check the connections at the battery - also the big red connecor on the earth strap & the earth connection to the body/chassis. Also in that circuit is a similar big red bullet connector under the car. Its hiddin under a plastic cover about 1 foot in front of the engine, you need to undo a couple of 10mm bolts to get to it. Its a "u" shaped plastic thing maybe 10 inches long in line with the chassis rail to the left side.

I had a very similar problem & after going through all the above connections & taking them all off/apart & cleaning & re-assembling (about 2 years ago) I havn't had a problem since.

8. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Glad you fixed the problem.

Let's see some pictures of your car. Is it a new car or have you had it awhile? Good to hear from someone nearby, few fchatters in Ventura and SB as well.

Welcome to Fchat.

Jeff

9. tim@timmikel.com

Mar 21, 2009
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim Mikel
    #9 [email protected], May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    That is beautiful!!!!

11. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I love that interior combo :)
    Ciao
    Eugenio

12. mondial5183

mondial5183 Karting

Nov 17, 2007
    I had the same symptoms few months ago with my Mondial. The battery was one year old. I cleaned the battery contacts and i injected "electrical contact aerosol" in the neimann and since it's ok.