From a 430 to a 599....Anyone make that switch?? | FerrariChat

From a 430 to a 599....Anyone make that switch??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by The Ape, May 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    OK, my 430 is sadly getting a new home. It's my first Ferrari and I thought I would NEVER sell it, but I have decided to let her go. I got an offer I can't refuse.........My intent was just to get another 430, drive it for 2 yrs or so then move up to the 430 replacement. THEN I DROVE A 599...more on that in a sec.

I drove an 08' 430 the other day that was amazing! The shifting on the 08's is MUCH better than the 06' and the fit and finish was better as was many subtle aspects of the car....I don't want a Scud (not the car for me, I cant drive a Scud 7 days a week)........I have the opportunity to get into one of the last 430's produced with basically delivery miles or I can step up to a 599.

Here's where Im conflicted....I drove the 599 and was blown away by it! The power of that V12 is insanity, the comfort, the super-fast shifting is superb, and it's the ultimate GT.....BUT,It is VERY different than a 430 and has a different purpose. I know of at least one member here that is selling his 599 and going back into a 430. In a perfect world I would have a 599 and a Scud, but with an ex-wife, 3 kids, a new wife, 2 mortgages, you get the picture.

I have to pick one and it's either the new 430 or a new 599. I am making my decision today since I need to pull the trigger on one of the cars tomorrow.
    If I had to decide this instant.....599 all the way, but will I miss the mid-engined masterpiece, razor sharp handling, and feel of the 430???

2. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    As you yourself said, these are two VERY different cars. Having never driven either, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, I believe that buying a car simply for the immense power is a bad idea. You will eventually become bored and want more power, as it can only do so much for you. However, the thrill and amazing handling of a mid-engined sports car will never become a bore.

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am of no use my friend as I havent owned either.

But having read many of your threads I would think you are going to miss the more sports car like feel of the F430. I say no to the 599.

4. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    Wow, good to know someone out there is as conflicted as I am. (ok, maybe i'm the only one conflicted)
    Didn't i remember we were both looking at Scuds in Early April?

I quickly looked at your posts and noticed a Cali drive. I drove one on Friday, and was very favorably surprised. I've considered selling my '07 430 and getting a Cali, as i've mentioned before. I decided not too when i saw one in person at the local dealer, but that was in a light blue with Sabbia? interior. The one i drove was Blk/Blk and it no longer looked like a chick's car. I agree with all your comments. I could have this car. (My wife thinks i'd regret it, as she rrrreeeeaaalllyyy likes the 430)

As for the 599, if you're daily driving, you cant go wrong. I'd love to get one, but i've got too many right now and i don't want to spend the money. (I also just sold my wife's 08 Maser QP and got an 09, S but not GTS...what a difference) If I were forced to (or allowed to....:) ) consolidate my 3 year old Conti GT and 430, the 599 would be what i want. (love the idea of the bigger 612 but just dont like the look.....that's a car to buy used..)

Don't know if ANY of this helps, but i certainly understand what you're thinking through. (Hey and if you get bored with it after awhile, we could swap, though if i remember you had a spider)

5. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Yep, we were both looking at Scuds.....Once I drove the Scud I knew that switching from a 430 to a Scud wasn't for me. Even though it blows the 430 out of the water in performance, I prefer a 430 as a daily driver...The 430 also has more than enough performance for public roads. Also, the F1 system is upgraded significantly in the 08' 430. It really blows away the 05'-07'. Ferrari didn't publicize it, but I know for a fact that it's true. If you PM me I can tell you where to drive an 08' to see for yourself. It might freak you out a bit.
    It's so good that It made me question if I really want to get the 599.

...Im sure we drove the same Cali (Auto Gallery?).......The Cali is amazing and I would consider one if I had a Scud or 430 as a weekend fun car. I just couldn't see myself with a Cali as my only Ferrari. I just felt that the Cali's power delivery is almost too smooth and uneventful. The DCT is so good that it almost is too good. It feels like a slush box in some ways, which is just too soft for my taste.

Anyhow, Im still leaning towards the 599. If I get bored in a year or 2 I'll switch to the 430 replacement. I just hope that they set up the DCT in a MUCH more aggressive way than in the Cali.

6. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    #6 gadgetman, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    It WAS the same Cali at Auto Gallery. My challenge. I had 911 cab. for years. Traded a Turbo cab. for my 430 a year ago. While I do like the look of the Coupe better (personal decision) i miss having a convertible. I also find i do NOT drive the 430 on a daily basis. So.....i bought, again, a 09 Carerra S cab. with PDK for a daily driver in Feb. (keeping the 430 of course). Mistake. Once you have an F-Car......'y know. So, putting the 911 up for sale.

Having said all that, a California seems to give me the best of all worlds.......or is it a compromise of all worlds? hmmmmm

I may never figure this out.

7. kpflynn

kpflynn Rookie

Jan 31, 2008
    The answer seems simple. Pick up the 599 to experience something new until the 430 replacement comes out. Seems a bit silly to sell your 430 to get another 430.

8. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    This thead might be worth a look--> http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165163&highlight=F430+599

All I can say is that the 599 is the most beautiful car made in MANY MANY years IMVHO. We were very close to getting one a few months ago (and will probably go "hunting" for one again soon).

Two seats, front engined V12...classic.

I am lucky enough to live where I can see 599s daily and every time I see one (and hear one) my jaw drops.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd say you would get bored in a 599, and also that prices have a long way to fall. (I don't know about the California -- haven't seen or driven one.)

If you want an "interm" car, the 575M is much better looking, IMO, plenty fast, and you could probably get all or most of your money out of it in a couple of years.

Face it, when the F450 or F500 comes out you'll want that. The spy shots make it look a lot more interesting than any of the current range, IMO.

10. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    How would you describe the diff between the 599 and 430??

11. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

Get the 599, it's different than what you previously owned (change of pace)

12. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    While the 599gtb is a bit "softer" than a F430 (until you really floor the throttle), it really is an amazing car. While the F430 is definitely the sportier Ferrari from the moment you start it up, go through the gears upshifting/downshifting as well as it being midengine- I find the 599gtb more satisfying to drive. Maybe this is due to the fact it is a little bit more rare than the F430 (at least where I am located) but I just find the power of the car extremely intoxicating, especially when you get the car running properly. In addition it does not have the body roll of the 575 (minus the Fiorano handling pack) when you corner and I liken it more to a v12 F430. Also having spent 5 hours driving yesterday in the 599 from NYC to Sag Harbor and back on ROE, I left the car comfortable and relaxed at the end of the day. I can definitely not say the same about the F430 especially with the Capristo's Stage III. I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

13. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have the capristo exhaust on my car as well and the 599 really woke up. It is a pleasure to drive and feels pretty good to me. The 430 is an exceptional car. The more I drive the 599 the better I like it and the better it looks to me. I like it more now than when I bought it. The car is fast and there is no doubt about it. I was on the track in my 430 and lined up with a 599 down the straight and it just left me. I had the pedal down to the floor and I was maxing out the rpm's.

14. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    #14 720EC, May 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Of couse you realize if you choose the 599 your going to have to change your user name! Its okay. Come to the dark side, join us 430 Ape and become an owner of a front loaded 611hp. 12 cyl. classic. They are indeed totally different cars. But if you have the opportunity to own and experience a 599 you should take it. Hopefully there will always be 8cyl. ferraris available. But how long will they continue to build 12cyl. ones? Best of luck in what ever choice you make.

16. FerrariEnzoChicago

May 9, 2009
    I have both 430 and 599. However, I like the 430 more, I think it looks better. The 599 is a boat, but very fast. I suggest getting a red or black or grey 599. I think they look the best in those colors. Whatever you choose they are both awesome, but I prefer 430.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ape-man: I have an 08 F430 and in the immortal words of Charlton Heston: you couldn't take it from "my cold dead hands". Nothing currently on the market now even interests me. I'm spoiled for all machines -- trapped.

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I wish I had your dilemma Ape! :D:D

Also, I have not driven either but I think they are both amazing machines!! :):)

If it were up to me, I would give the 599 a go seeing as you have already owned the 430 for 3 years now. :):)

Then, replace the 599 with the new Ferrari V8 replacement. :D:D

Best of luck with your decision mate! I am looking forward to seeing what you decide to purchase. I know you will have a wonderful time with either car in your garage. :):)

19. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Thank you all for your posts. Im still sooooooo torn!

20. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    Keep the 430 and get the ZR1 :)
    That's what i did.
    Eric

21. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    ....and what do you do with the ZR1 when GM goes Bankrupt?

22. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    Just heard today from a friend (who may be lurking here on FC) who just did exactly that.....gave up his F430 for a 599. Says he loves the 599 (now only hours old). The only good answer to this dilemma is own both, in my opinion. But then, I can't afford either in this economy, so I'll just be completely content with my F355 (which I LOVE). But, to each his own!!

23. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The car isn't going to explode, even if GM does...

24. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC

Look up chapter 11 and then we can have an honest discussion :)
    If you think they are going chapter 7, then we will not be able to have that "honest" discussion.
    Eric

25. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With all the taxpayer money already pumped into GM, they damn well better not go Ch. 7.

Any end in sight to the ammo shortages? This is beyond ridiculous. I would have thought the mfg's would be able to catch up with demand, but they're nowhere even close it seems.