FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ferrari should leave, as well as other teams.

Ferrari brand a new series...call it Enzo Ferrari 1, or EF1 for short.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ferrari will pull out of F1 following Monaco. The team will be rebadged and compete as F-Chat F1.

3. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    I think this would add a new chapter to Ferrari's long historic legacy. I would watch it for sure!!! Ferrari has always been at the forefront of technology (for the most part).. Audi came out with a Diesel beast and have prevailed.. I think it would be great to see Ferrari knock them off the top with a new Diesel powered LMP car. It's not like the old days, sure, but it's all apart of the ever evolving world we live in. Either you keep up, or get left behind :)

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sorry, but Ferrari and Diesel don't go together in my belief system.

5. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    +1000

Why not just skip LM and make their own series... not like DTM or anything, but with multiple manufactures and no FIA...

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #131 RP, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    In my opinion:

Ferrari will not leave F1. There is no other series with the same visability or prestige. The only other series that even comes close to the formula is IRL, and I think Tony George would love to return the "favor" to Bernie, up Bernie's posterior, so that won't happen.

A break away series would "for sure" only include Red Bull and Toyota, along with Ferrari, besides being cost prohibitive, is rather illogical. Brawn, Force India, probably BMW, and Williams would stay with the FIA. At this point, I would think even McLaren would stay with the FIA. No breakaway series is likely.

Diesel and Ferrari will never happen. Has to be on a production car. So no LeMans.

Despite Ferrari's connection to Chrysler, no NASCAR.

At the end of the day, the FIA will prevail, Ferrari will agree to the budget caps because reality is that F1 needs new blood and new teams. Ferrari, and the other major teams, will get a transition period for the budget caps more reasonable than 7 months. What you see is all politics and positioning.

FOTA has already in principal agreed to budget caps of $40L mill, so the rest is just details.

If Ferrari gets dumb, and really leaves F1...F1 will survive. Maybe not as big, but the one with egg on their face at the end will be Luca and Ferrari. In my opinion, this move by the Ferrari board was really stupid. To understand Ecclestone, is to know that he would not back down from such a threat. In fact, it is likely now he will be even more difficult with which to deal.

If you read the interview with the FIA's Purnell, you will see the FIA is open to suggestions, but they are more interested in the longetivity of F1 than Ferrari's feelings. I would agree with their position. I think Luca backed Ferrari in a corner that could backfire.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can imagine such a series run by the manufacturers. Ferrari isn't the only one ticked off, basically any car manufacturer plus any big company like Red Bull.

If that happens the official F1 series becomes some 3rd class spec series and the new series will be a FIA non sanctioned king of the hill series. It happened in boxing, it could happen in motorsports.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

With F breaking ranks it really blows any contractual team deals that Bernie is trying to coerce out of the water. The dictator has finally pushed his people to revolt. Viva La Revolucion!

9. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    #134 DMC308, May 12, 2009
    IMO I just think they would be better off doing a series of their own (all the teams who want to drop). They could get away from the FIA, and not force us to watch this 2nd wave of GP2 we get to watch now.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I agree on ugly cars. Since the 575, fcars have looked like crap.
    Agreed!

11. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    i was a bit choked up at first, but i don't blame ferrari..these rules for the budgets and what not are getting more retarded and out of hand..i wouldn't be surprised if they are changed, as F1 NEEDS Ferrari..

12. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    #137 BorisSF, May 12, 2009
    No it doesn't, F1 needs more competitive teams, not a bunch of cry babies, if you need an unlimited budget cap in order to win races then something is a little askew here.

Their car was garbage even before the entire diffuser debacle, they need to count this season as a loss and get some real research done on next year's car

13. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    F1 should be the best racing on the planet, and not slowed down by the FIA... Let the teams who can afford it race and the rest who cant... can go.

14. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    This is GREAT news in disguise.

Ferrari could very well turn a motorsport corner by rejuvenating their sports car racing program and bringing new life to LeMans. Or, if F1 doesn't make the changes, this could lead to a long-overdue breakaway series among the disaffected teams. OR, the lower-budget F1 series could bring in many more teams, making it a nimbler, more efficient series that Ferrari could return to later when it sorts itself out.

Regardless, I think Bernie and Max are getting a solid dose of overdue comeuppance that could eventually lead to their own departure from the sport. To me, only good things can come of that.

15. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    I'd love to see Ferrari return to LM. Remember cars like the 333SP and F50 GT1? At least they were pretty. F1 cars are ugly as hell and this season is boring as hell.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have been in tears since the end of the 333sp program. That is all I want, an update to that. Screw F1.

17. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    i understand what you mean..i never got into f1 because of ferrari in the first place..but many people know and watch f1 only because ferrari is involved and races cars in it..and without ferrari being in f1 any longer..there will be a lot less people that will continue being a "fan" or following f1..IMO, some good competitive cars with skillful drivers is all i want to see..

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    As I read it Ferrari's main objection is the two-tier situation. I can fully understand their point. What's the use of pumping a lot of money into it when other teams are potentially favoured. It's not a level playing field which goes against the fundaments of any sport.

With this proposal Ferrari is always going to lose. If they chose no budget cap and win everybody will say it's because they've spent their way to a championship, if they don't win they will be the laughing stock ('can't even win with that much money').
    If they decide for a budget cap and don't win all the Ferrari fans will blame them for the wrong decission and if they do win the others will say that the new rules favoured Ferrari.

Rules should be the same for everybody, period.

19. benno45

benno45 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    what gets me is how can you have budget cap with these day supplys and parts ant cheap to make. safty is a concern i think with these rule's teams will be short cuting in areas for strength. be prepaired for more flying bodywork. good on you ferrari.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

:) Great post!

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I remember great races when I came over for Daytona 24hrs at the invitation of Simon Gregg. The sound of a 33Sp is simply amazing. I agree with your sentiments.

22. cabaynes

cabaynes Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #147 cabaynes, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Here, I'm bored... I think it looks pretty good!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Hey, excellent! I wasn't aware that Lexus wants to get into NASCAR!

24. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    The only thing that makes F1 F1 is the teams competing in the series. If the big companies leave, the series is dead. So, if Ferrari, Toyota, BMW, Renault along with a few other big names leave, I seriously doubt F1 would survive.

25. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Interesting article on Pitpass: