Drivers 'understand' Ferrari's ultimatum | FerrariChat

Drivers 'understand' Ferrari's ultimatum

Discussion in 'F1' started by AlexO91, May 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ferrari drivers Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen say they fully understand why the Italian outfit has decided to put its Formula 1 future on the line over the budget capping plans.

The iconic Maranello outfit announced on Tuesday that it would cut its 60-year-old ties with the sport at the end of the current season if the optional £40 million cost cap came into force in 2010, the team vehemently opposed to the proposals and the two-tier championship it is likely to create.

And while the move, since followed by Renault, has theoretically put its drivers F1 careers into doubt beyond this season, both are backing the team’s stance.

Massa says the fact that competing squads could be running to different versions of the rulebook is “absurd”, claiming that this year’s uncertainty over the legality of double diffusers was confusing enough.

“I understand the motivation, why the company got to this point,” the Brazilian said in a statement issued on Ferrari’s official website.

The idea of having a championship with two velocities, with cars, which for example are allowed to have flexible wings or an engine without a rev limiter, is absurd.

“We’ve already seen this year that the rules’ uncertainty not only led to a lot of confusion for us involved, but mainly for the fans. Imagine what might happen with what has been set up for 2010.”

Team-mate Raikkonen concurred, adding that the rules being introduced by the FIA are not in line with the sport’s core principles.

“I always had the passion for racing with everything with an engine and I always thought of Formula 1 as the pinnacle of motor sports, in terms of competition and technology,” the Finn said.

“Obviously if there really were rules like the ones set by FIA, it would be difficult to imagine a Formula 1 we had until today.

“I can’t imagine drivers racing each other on the track with cars built according to different rules; that wouldn’t be good for the sport itself or for the fans.

“If that should happen, it would be too bad and I understand that a company like Ferrari is thinking about racing somewhere else.”

In its statement announcing its ultimatum, Ferrari’s board said its president Luca Montezemolo had been charged with assessing other motorsport categories it could race in should it quit F1.

Speaking in a separate statement on its website in which he thanked the team’s fans for their support of its decision, Montezemolo promised that the Italian marque would continue racing in other series with the same level of passion and enthusiasm.

“I want to thank you [the fans] personally for the numerous messages of support we received from all over the world over the last hours on our website and via email,” the Italian said.

“It is important to know that we can count on the support of our fans all over the world and that our fans completely share the motivations, which brought us to take such a decision.

“If we were forced to leave the championship we were part of over the last 60 years of our history and where we set all the records in terms of victories, it is because they want to change the nature of its founding values.

“If it really was like that, then I have to say that our cars will race in other competitions, where – and I am absolutely convinced about that – they will find the enthusiasm and the passion of millions of fans, following us in every corner of the world.

“Racing is part of Ferrari’s DNA and this is something that will never change.”

Massa, who spent a season as a Ferrari test driver in 2003 before rejoining as a race driver three years later, added that he was sure the outfit’s rich motorsport heritage would continue should it end its F1 involvement.

“For a driver racing a Ferrari in Formula 1 is a dream and I made mine come true,” he said.

“Since I was a child Ferrari has been the synonym for racing for me; that’s why I’m convinced that even if the Scuderia is forced to leave Formula 1, there will be other competitions, where it will be possible to admire the Reds on the track.”

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    While I agree 100% with Massa on this, IMO he has benefited from different versions of the rule book in the past.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Let's just say that Lewis was very helpful in pointing out those differences ;)

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL ....;)

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well, lets get real now. There is no way Formula One is going to let Ferrari go. that would wreck their model. CVC partners will be ruined, as the value of F-1 will plummit. If Renault, BMW and Toyota leave as well, all you have left to run is a bunch of no name cars with teams nobody has ever heard of.

When Lotus left F-1 I thought it was a travesty... Ecclestone should have saved them for the name alone... same for Brabaham... but hey, I would love to have Ferrari in the LeMans series and at the ALMS races... marketing wise makes much more sense.... My gut is that this will never happen. Ecclestone will say they dont need Ferrari, but everybody knows they do. And so does Ferrari.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    None of them are dumb enough to kill this golden goose.