Miami Beach PPI and Kessler Auto Group? | FerrariChat

Miami Beach PPI and Kessler Auto Group?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BrandSB, May 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm looking at a 355 at Kessler in North Miami Beach and would appreciate any guidance regarding someone good to do the PPI if I get that far.

Also, I know that the Kessler Group was brought up earlier this year but the feedback was mixed. Any feedback to share here or via PM that would help guide my decision and/or avoid pitfalls over the distance from Michigan would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Which 355 is it?? Perhaps someone here knows the history of the car. As for Kessler, I don't have any personal info, but tread lightly and definitely get a PPI from wherever you find a car!

As for a PPI - you can try the dealers - Ferrari/Maserati of Ft. Lauderdale, or The Collection.......but, I don't know if they do PPI's.

If not, IMO the best options are:
    1) BLACKHORSE - Call Christian at 954-561-2553. Tell him Fred w/ the Stradale told you to call.
    2) Tim Stanford Foreign Cars - Call Tim at 954-764-7824. Tell him Fred w/ the Stradale, from the FCA, told you to call.
    Both people/places are honest, reasonably priced, and know their stuff.........

Good luck!!

:)

3. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fred, that's outstanding, thanks!

Steve

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Steve, as Fred said, give us some more info regarding the car. Maybe someone here knows it.

5. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Tim Stanford for a PPI.

Good luck.

Cheers

6. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's #100585, red 1995 GTB w/20.5k miles, at Kessler North Miami Beach. Carfax and Steven Kessler agree that its a two owner vehicle, the second owner a doctor from the midwest who traveled a lot according to Steven. I'm also looking at a 95 GTS on the west coast and am trying to quickly assess the condition of this one described as 'umblemished' and 'no marks, scratches, dings or dents.....just perfect'. It's been there awhile so maybe someone's already looked at it?

I've also started to reach out for a possible PPI, thanks to Fred's recommendations.

7. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Contact info and background?

Thanks!

8. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oops, sorry, his info is already in the previous post....thanks

9. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    Tim is awesome! But you must listen and think deeply about what his opinion is, he see them every day in the shop and knows a lot.

10. FIORANO SPORTSCARS

BANNED

Jul 10, 2004
    I recommend inspection of timing belts and clutch wear and even the brakes.

11. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Quick update: I called Tim Stanford Foreign Cars but they told me that Tim's out of the shop until Tuesday. I then called Blackhorse and spoke with Stuart (Christian is also out of the shop). Stuart very graciously agreed to go to the dealership and take a quick look today and give me his assessment based on a visual inspection.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and quick feedback....this is progressing nicely!

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    A visual inspection is one thing but you definitely want a leakdown and compression test on a 355 to make sure the motor and headers are OK.

13. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Stuart is a VERY qualified tech. He worked for Shelton from the time they opened, and knows his stuff! Tell him Fred says 'Hi'!!

As Duane mentioned, although a simple visual inspection from Stuart is likely better than a PPI with 'lesser' Ferrari people, I would still recommend that you have him do a full PPI. Have a compression, leakdown, put the car on a lift to inspect the underside, etc, etc... Also, make sure the major belt service was done on the car. The 355 requires the entire subframe w/ engine to be removed for that service, and it's not cheap. Also, check for header issues, valve guide issues, sticky interior parts, deformed a/c controls, and on the GTB and GTS the weld points on the C pillars. Other 355 related things too!!

14. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, absolutely. I'm having Stuart offer some quick guidance based on visuals to ensure that the vehicle passes the 'smell test' before possibly proceeding to make an offer and conduct a full mechanical PPI.

I conducted the same process with the GTS I'm also considering on the west coast and the mechanic came away after a visual inspection with high marks for condition and the way the car 'appeared' to have been maintained. It's just a starting point before the offer stage because, as you all point out, the rubber really meets the road with leakdown and manifold assessments.

Steve

15. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    You've obviously done your research--good for you!

16. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    ...and how do you check clutch wear without taking the clutch apart? 1995, no SD1, no F1 with clutch life info.
    Besides you can inspect a timing belt all day long and it will look great but the bearings are bad because the sucker had been sitting for years.

On a 1995 you have to make sure the notorious valve guides had been done. No record of that...STAY AWAY or discount the car by $8000.

17. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Final update: Stuart visited Kessler this afternoon and conducted a visual PPI on the vehicle. He reported the following:

-General condition good for 20k mile car with the following caveats:
    -Significant stone rash on front fascia will require a respray
    -Two wheels have some curb rash
    -One noticeable door ding
    -Shrinkage on dash and around instrument pods

Bottom Line: None of the issues reported were due to poor care or neglect (curb rash excepted...). Overall vehicle in good condition. However, the front fascia respray is not something I'm interested in since the GTS I'm looking at on the west coast won't require any paint work.

Final Note: Stuart was absolutely awesome to work with. I can't believe he stepped away for a few hours and did this for me. His pricing was extremely reasonable for the time spent and he was very candid with his assessment. Highly recommended.

Thanks to all in the great state of Florida for your thoughts, guidance and feedback. All the best from the Midwest and wish me well as I pursue the GTS out west.

Steve

18. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    One Footnote Regarding Kessler Auto Group:

I had asked about the Kessler Auto Group in this thread as well and would like to convey that my dealings with Steven and his staff were very courteous, professional and straightforward. I had asked some folks here in Detroit about their experience with Steven while in New York and I got nothing but positive reviews as well. Thought I'd share that since I raised the question originally and don't want to leave it open.

19. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    You should expect respray or have it resprayed. Rockchips are normal on the cars. I would rather do it myself and then have the film applied than to have had it done and not know who and how good they did that.
    As for the dash shrinkage, that is a sign of neglect. Granted most people forget that the dash is leather and needs constant nurishing.

Again, if you buy a 355 make sure the valve guides had been done. All the other stuff is little compared to that.
    On Spiders you have all the other issues. GTS is a good option.

20. FIORANO SPORTSCARS

BANNED

Jul 10, 2004
    well,if its F1 you could check the clutch wear with SD2,SD3 and ST5, and on the timing belt if the belts are brittle they need to be replace besides bearings.

21. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    1995 has not had an F1. They did not come out till 1998. SD1 required for the F355 not SD2 (though most SD2s are running the SD1 software as well)
    I have yet to se a brittle belt. Before you see a brittle belt you likely blow up the engine because it jumped already a full timing cycle.
    The reason it is called a belt service is because on other cars you typically replace the belts only. Other cars meaning your off the mill daily drivers. On the Ferrari your weak point is the tensioner bearings. Especially because people do not drive their cars. The belt will last 10+ years. The bearing rarely makes it past 5 years. You simply replace the belt as well since that is a $30 item in a $5000 service.

22. FIORANO SPORTSCARS

BANNED

Jul 10, 2004
    how many timing belt services have you done....

23. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Oh boy......... anyone else want some popcorn? This is going to get good........... :)

24. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    :)

25. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001