BEWARE! Exotics are Targets for Rear End Accidents | FerrariChat

BEWARE! Exotics are Targets for Rear End Accidents

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bkmberg, May 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bkmberg

bkmberg Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frances
    Today my husband Andy was driving our Scud on the 605N off ramp towards the 10 fwys. There were 2 lanes on the ramp - the left for the 10W which he was on and the right for the 10E where there was a gardener type truck about 100 ft in front. Andy's lane was completely clear in front of him so he drove at a consistent 45mph and caught up to the 10E lane cars (probably traveling 20mph). As soon as Andy pulled up to about 1 car length behind that truck, the driver of that truck cut right in front of Andy and Andy stepped on his brakes. It was obvious that he was not just changing lanes because the truck almost swerved out of control. When Andy didn't rear end him, that truck immediately pulled back into the 10E lane again. Andy stayed behind him until the 2 lanes started to separate. Once the 2 lanes started to separate, Andy sped up a little and saw that the driver was giving him a hard look as they went their separate ways. It was very obvious that the truck driver was trying to set him up. I had a similar situation happen to me when I was driving a Mercedes S-Class where someone cut across 3 lanes to get in front of me and slammed on their brakes! Be careful out there!

2. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Oh wow, all the while I just thought that these were the actions of stupid drivers. Wait a minute, this even happens to me when I'm driving my exotic Nissan truck, hmmm.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Swoop and Squat
    When a perpetrator abruptly swoops in front of a car and quickly squats or stops. An accomplice moves to the side of the targeted victim to prevent the trapped car from swerving out of the way. The passengers of the squat car all report injuries that are supported later by a doctor or a chiropractor that are in the scam.

Sounds like a version of the above. Good thing he was able to hit the breaks so quickly. These days it's sometimes just better to driver a beater.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It happens with late model minivans and SUV's the most, due to the likelihood of INS.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did you get the license plate number of the truck? If you did we should put a "beware for this truck LP#xxxxxxx"
    I know that's probably not the only truck/driver out there that has the same intention but that's one truck to look out for.
    And I drive I605 almost everyday.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've been cut off on a entrance ramps twice! I'm not entirely sure it was because I was in a bmw, but I had to swerve to avoid being hit by these two *****es. Which I think may have been the exact same lady.

Always be proactive. Offensive and defensive driving 100% of the time.

7. bkmberg

bkmberg Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frances

Didn't get it...

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    happened to me about a year ago..was driving an old white 450sel 6.9 amg. a car with four passengers swooped in front of me and slammed there brakes on, it was obvious as the rear passengers even turned around to see if i will hit them! shouted some choice words for them as they bolted away..that scam has been around for years!!