Is the 328 still "exciting" | FerrariChat

Is the 328 still "exciting"

Discussion in '308/328' started by lencap, May 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm interested in buying a 328, but a few dealers have told me that I'm "buying into nostalgia" and that "many other cars" are more enjoyable from both a performance basis and from a "true sports car" experience. I'm being steered into a 360 by one dealer in particular, citing a "more involving ride, better everything, and not a significant jump in price."

For those of you who own a 328, or who have compared it to the newer cars, what is your opinion? Is the 328 "dated" - with offset seating position, 20+ year old design and all the other stuff related to older cars. Would you move up to a 360 for about $30K more than you 328?

Thank in advance for the comments.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am a professional Ferrari mechanic and have been for a few decades. I get to drive lots of really cool cars.

We have a TR and decided to add another last year. It was between a 360 and a 328. I chose the 328 and love every minute driving it.

I can go really fast any time I want but few cars give me as much pleasure to drive as a 328.

3. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #3 ducowti, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    'True sports car experience'?! This dealer is trying to upsell you - no surprise there :rolleyes: 'More involving ride'? IMO, which is probably worthless as I'm not a current or former racer, he's 180 degrees from reality on this; the 328 is a more raw drive requiring more involvement than a 360 with its electronics that enable decent drivers to drive faster than they could in something w.less technology like a 328.

Best thing you can do is try to spend more than a 10' test drive in both and judge for yourself.

I have driven my friend's 430 enough to compare, and while it's a different experience, I far prefer the raw, relatively unrefined character of my 328.

4. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    The 360 is as easy to drive everyday as a Mercedes SL, not a lot of skill to move it around. The 328 is an experience, you will have to understand what it is capable of and get to know it. Its got he smell of leather and gas that only older cars seem to have. The Dino cost less than a 328 only a few years ago so if the 328 is close to a 360 now, it will most likely surpass that car. With that said, the 360 is a screaming good deal and probably at the bottom of its value. The 328 is the last of a series of classics. The 328 will leave you a little fatigued and you will get out of it with a sweaty back every, a classic Ferrari. The 360 can be a daily driver and everyone will think its brand new. Either you want to go mainstream Ferrari or classic. You cant loose either way.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #5 Bullfighter, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    I wouldn't consider the 360 a move "up" from a 328, although the 360 costs more, at least for the time being. There are aspects of the 328 that are old school, just like the Porsche Speedster, Ferrari F40, Dino 246, Lamborghini Miura, Ferrari Daytona, Porsche 930, etc. are old school. You either get a rush from all that drama, or you get a rush from an F1 computer blipping the throttle on downshifts and traction control keeping your tail on the road.

To me, modern cars are boring. Any idiot can stomp the gas and get to the next stoplight in a cloud of smoke. And they can do it in Lexus-like comfort. Do I like the Ferrari 360 more than the Porsche 996? Beyond a doubt, and they both look OK. But, they leave me cold, like all modern cars (except the Lotus Elise/Exige.)

The "dated" stuff in the 328 -- snug cockpit, gauges instead of LCD displays, stick shift instead of paddles, manual steering instead of assisted, go-kart handling instead of Intel inside, targa top instead of power retractable, etc. -- is all much cooler IMHO. You're driving something unique. That all says "Ferrari" to me, in a way that video screens and acre-wide interiors don't.

Is that nostalgia? Not really, because I never knew anyone who had a Ferrari when I was growing up. I do think it's hands-down the prettiest modern sports ever made. That keeps the excitement factor up. If 0-60 is the whole story for you, then a 328 is a bad choice -- a Corvette is a smart choice, with the latest ones being sickeningly fast and with proper a/c. If you like knowing what's happening at each corner, or doing your own downshifting, the 328 is serious fun.

Also, dealers have a lot of 360s they need to move, and not many 328s. That may just possibly be influencing their comments. Maybe. You never know. ;)

You really have to drive it and decide. No one here can tell you. I knew after my first drive. I'm sure there are other younger guys here who want whatever is new, or the newest used Ferrari they can afford. That's another perspective.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There is a reason the 328 still commands the price it does, despite the fact that newer Ferraris are dropping in price. My Mondial has the same engine as the 328 and the same no-assist anything approach to performance. While the 328 is more tossable than the mondial, driving either car with haste is a mentally and physically involving exercise that demands skill and attention--especially when it comes to nailing those shifts. BTW, I think the 328 has the best sounding exhaust of the "regular" Ferrari's with the exception of the mighty 355.

Just my .02.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If the dealer had three clean 328's in his show room for $65K each, he would be selling you into one of those, I am sure.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Screw the dealer. DRIVE a 328 then report back.

Jedi

9. Ross Brackenbury

Nov 26, 2006
    I've only owned my 328GTS for 2 1/2 years, and due to the beautiful climate here in Australia, I try and drive it every weekend. I'll be taking mine out on Sunday for a good run to the Southern Highlands south of Sydney, and am looking forward to it immensely.

I think the dealer will be making more profit from the 360, and that is why he is pushing you that way.

Take them both for a good 1/2 hour run and see which one you enjoy.

The 328 is a drivers car, and the consentration it requires is part of the fun.....................................

Cheers,
    Ross

10. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John

I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY. DRIVE EM.

I have driven both, even the TR. The 328 is all DRIVING experience.... The Feel, the shifting, braking, clutching, etc, etc.

The epitome of Ferrari. The 328.

Good luck.

11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    x100! Drive them and compare. You will remembered the 328 driving experience: The noisy engine, the loud exhaust, the heat, the smell of the leather, the shakes, you feel the rough pavement, tight steering, the slanted fenders in your view. It's pretty raw unlike of that a modern car.

And if you live in warmer weather, don't forget to take the top off for the drive.

12. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    The 328 is a fun car to drive. It's about the experience that you get when you drive a 328. If you're interested in the 328 go for it and don't listen to the dealer.

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The 360 is like a Krups one-button auto esspresso maker - it's super efficient, works very well, is predictable and reliable and makes a great cup of coffee. The 328 is like an old school caffe machine with lots of brass and chrome, pressure gauges, switches, dials, steam and just a slight risk it might blow up in your face. I really enjoy making an esspresso and playing with all the switches and dials, and, I don't mind taking the additional time to get it right, old school style.

One isn't better than the other - they're both great at what they do - they're just different. Take each for a drive and you'll know first hand what folks are talking about here in this regard.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have driven a few nice cars in my day... not nearly as many as most of the people who reposnded to this thread....

Your overall question begs of philosophy...

To me "driving a car" means that you feel a part of the automobile you are drivng. If you want to "feel" the gear changes and the engine noise and the smell of gas/coolant/brakes/etc then you have to go old school.

If you want to be "seen" in a cool car.... it's your own problem.

2 weeks ago, I was a guest of some people out in Palm Desert, CA. My wife and I were there 2 days before the host's and had free reign of an 07' Bentley GTC, and an 02 (ish) 4 door Arnage. Neither of those cars put a "smile" on my face while driving...and combined, they are worth more than my house.

When I drive my 66' 4SP SB convert Corvette, I feel I am a part of "driving" the car. When I drove an 07' Bentely GTC (worth more than my 401K), I felt I was driving a rental.....

If you are in the position ($) and love to "drive" cars (toys) you need to look old school... 308/328/930/Gibhli/XKE/Esprit/mid year vettes/etc

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I should have read this post prior to mine...perfect!!!

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I have owned the 328gts, testarossa, 360 and F430.

The 360 is almost as involving to me as a 328, but it needs to be six speed manual and not F1. If you were to close your eyes and be able to drive for some reason it feels like a modern 328, better acceleration, handling and breaking, but it the Ferrari dna is there. If you got the extra money to spend and specially to keep it running then I would say 360. The 328 will give you a lot of enjoyment and for the money is the Ferrari bargain. But if you can maintain a 360 then why not jump into a Testarossa or 512tr instead?

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    You went to the dealer to look at a 328?

Ask yourself why.

They are all wonderful, yet so different.

You need to set out the criteria you want it to fulfill, what your capabilities and desires are, and what you're willing to spend. Not only in buying it, but also keeping it on theroad in tip-top condition.

The you take your decision and take the plunge.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Funny... I used to say the exact same things about my Dino when comparing it to a 308.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    For all you guys who talk about the raw driving experience how does the 328 compare to 348?

as for 328 to 360 , that is my debate for my next car. the only negative to me for a 328 is the cockpit room.

but it is a matter of taste many young guys dont care for the "old school" feel.
    IF YOU CAN, drive both

20. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Alan has a 328 and a 348. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242983
    I'm looking forward to his observations on this subject as well.

21. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    That's the most negative thing I have heard about the 328 design.
    Timeless beauty, I would say.
    Love the 360 design as well, but that one feels more like an old design, not the latest model anymore, not a classic.

22. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    I get a lot more enjoyment out of driving my 308 then the 360. The newer Ferrari's are just really fast cars with neat electronics. I like the raw nature of the earlier cars. The only caveat is that I feel much safer at high speeds in my 360.

P.S. I love you dig on the 360 prices hahaha. Your right though. Someday the average 328 will be worth more then a 360. There are a lot more 360 then 328.

23. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    buy the 328.

forget about the cruise control and cup holder.

24. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    YOU have to drive them both and see which YOU like better.

I would not spend $30k more than my 328 cost for a 360.

I love the way my 328 looks, sounds, and smells. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 230 lbs and the cockpit of the 328 is quite comfortable for me. And the way it smells inside... sometimes I'll go out to the garage and stick my head inside the car just to smell it. Old leather, gas, oil, exhaust combine to make a smell that is automotive heaven.

Driving the 328 is kind of truck-like at low speeds. But get it above 30 mph or so and it just wakes up and is very willing to dance. Never fails to put a huge grin on my face.

25. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    After 3 1/2 years and about 20,000 miles in the drivers seat, the 328 still puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Sure it's not as fast as the newer cars but it's still fast enough to give you a speeding ticket real quick if you are not careful. Plus the lower power can be a plus as you are able to use more of the rev-range and more gears instead of staying in 3rd gear all day so you don't go to much over the speedlimit. The 360's are fine cars but would I trade the 328 for one NO WAY. I went to the local Ferrari dealer a little while ago and they asked me if i would sell it as they get many inquiries about them, and they had a bunch of 360 on the lot. Like others have said drive both and then decide, but drive them more than 10 minutes, the 328 can be an aquired taste, but once you get it, its like fine wine, just gets better with age.