Luca to miss today's meeting due to his father's death | FerrariChat

Luca to miss today's meeting due to his father's death

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, May 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Just saw this. Can't post a link though (on my phone right now)
    My condolences. I wonder who is the de facto President of fota?
    Kevin

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/ferrari-president-misses-f1-meeting-1685461.html

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who has threatened to pull his team out of Formula One unless the 2010 rules are changed, will miss today's crisis talks with Max Mosley after the death of his father.

The champions were represented instead by team boss Stefano Domenicali.

Today's meeting with the International Automobile Federation (FIA) president, who has taken a low profile since the death of his son last week, will seek to end a standoff that threatens to tear the sport apart.

"I think this is a very important day, I think everybody feels we need to find a solution that makes sense for independent teams, manufacturers and the FIA," Williams chief executive Adam Parr told reporters as he arrived at the Heathrow airport hotel.

"Unfortunately we had an opportunity 12 months ago to do it in a more flexible and gentle way, and I fear time is running out."

The FIA want an optional £40m cost cap, offering greater technical freedom than available to those teams staying on unrestricted budgets, that they say is needed for the sport's survival in the face of the global financial crisis.

Ferrari, and former champions Renault, say that will lead to a two-tier championship that they cannot accept and have both threatened to leave.

Toyota and Red Bull's two teams have also said they cannot submit their entries by the May 29 deadline for the same reasons.

Formula One needs Ferrari but the Italian glamour team also need the sport, something that commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone has been at pains to point out, and some sort of compromise may be inevitable.

"I must be clear that we, Ferrari and the others have no intention of breaking with FIA," Renault team boss Flavio Briatore said on Thursday. "We want to be there, to participate, to preserve the future."

With all eyes on the sport for the showcase Monaco Grand Prix next week, a key race for business and sponsorship deals, the teams will want to remove the doubts about the championship's future as soon as possible.

In contrast to the threats to quit, several would-be newcomers have expressed an interest in joining the championship if the cap stays in place.

Chassis maker Lola said they were forging ahead with their project in the expectation of the budget cap remaining.

"The Lola Group believes that the... decisions relating to cost-capping and the provision of revised technical regulations to facilitate the entry of new teams into Formula One should be embraced," it said.

"This is not only prudent considering the backdrop of global economics but also taking into account the need for new teams to be able to compete credibly against long established entrants.

"It is imperative that performance breaks be afforded to new cost-capped entrants who will have a limited period in which to form teams, design and manufacture their cars

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who has threatened to pull his team out of Formula One unless the 2010 rules are changed, will miss today's crisis talks with Max Mosley after the death of his father.

My respectful condoleances to the man who saved Ferrari for the loss of his father.

MS

4. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hope all with all this doom and gloom and arguing over F1, they realize that life is to short for all this!, and common sense prevails..
    All I want is the best racing with the best of the best racing each other in the best cars in the world.

5. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    +100

Preach on Steve!

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    And all Bernie wants is all of that, plus the best bank account in the world...

F1 was doomed once someone saw it as a way to make money. Condolences to LDM; I lost my Mom last week and have only the deepest sympathy for him right now.

7. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I know how you feel mate, sorry to hear that..

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Awww...i hope we're not doomed.

9. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It will all work out fine in the end I'am sure, but some radical changes are needed to the way the FIA rules, and the way Bernie treats the teams track organizers ect., I hope for one these big issues are resolved, I'am sick of being a fan of F1 and getting shafted with this off track smoke and mirrors BS, all the time.

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thank you.