355 GTS vs GTB...Targa Questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 GTS vs GTB...Targa Questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by BrandSB, May 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I am partial to the Targa because I have a 348SS, but the 355 in "B" form has great lines. The good news is you can't go wrong here - but taking the lid off on a Summer evening is $$$.

MB

2. Cali42

Cali42 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    South of Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Darin
    There is no doubt GTS owners prefer the ability to open the top vs. having a fixed roof -- all the talk about the body flex and roof leak and squeak fade quickly away when you transform your vehicle from closed roof to open and hear your exhaust note - Best of all worlds - Top painted or black both look good depending on your preference...

3. New Zealand 355GTS

Sep 23, 2006
    Wellington New Zeala
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Paape
    My thoughts are thus.
    With the roof on it is much less of event to drive, no sun, no wind, no fabuous exhaust note. Dont forget the 355 is the best sounding road Ferrari ever. Get the roof off and hear the dream.
    The painted roof requires more care. I cover mine with a red Ferrari blanket. Looks good with the extra red in the interior. If your rough with you car, buy a Chev or a Ford.
    I reckon the 355B is a fabulous looking car. I have painted my roof, now Ive got the best of both worlds.
    As for squeaks, great tips on this thread. Thanks men.
    Rain, over 20mph it never gets in, but you do get a wee bit on the rear window.
    I am about to convert my seats to being heated as in winter my wife get a bit cold.

4. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA

Do you really do this by yourself?
    If so, please tell me the secrets without giving oneself a heart attack.
    Every time I think I can do it alone, I have an awkward moment where I almost drop the thing, and tell myself: "never do this alone again!"
    Granted, I'm barely 5'8" with maybe a 29" reach. Perhaps I'm just physically challenged! :D

Oh, and +1 on the painted top. Looks awesome on or off.

5. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave

6. Ths2008

Ths2008 Rookie

May 8, 2008
    I own a nero/nero 1995 355 GTS. I use it a lot, and have been driving it through some heavy rain. I drove a 5 hour trip from Oslo(norway) to Stockholm(sweden) in extremely hard rain. Most of the other cars on the rod drove at maximum 120 kmh, i drove at around 180-220 kmh. The cabin was dry and no leaks. Newer had any noise from thet targa roof compared to my Porsches. The only bad thing was a socked lugage compartment due to a bead seal. Ferraris handle rain, don´t be afraid to use them!!!!!!!!!!

My roof is unpainted like it should be. If you can find a nice GTS, but it!!!!!!!!!!! They are rare, and the best of both worlds. Don´t paint the roof, it looks great as it is...

I will never part with mine...

7. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris

OHHHHH MYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your car! Stunning!!!!

8. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Properly adjusted with good rubbers and a silicone rubber lubricant the roof should not squeak or leak. Mine was great, the only time it sqeaked was when it was dead cold and once the interior was warm it stopped ie 5 mins. It has a vynl cover to protect it when behind the seat make sure this cover is spotless no dust.
    It will also pay to add some ricochet / 3m clear to the rear window as I had a few chips in mine due to stones going over the windscreen and onto the back window, I had a small star chip that was repaired, the stones go between the two seats and hit the rear window, very expensive to replace. I drove mine roof off all the time.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #34 greyboxer, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    The 355 roof is a much more physical endeavour that requires the roof to be lifted away from the car for rotation prior to returning it for insertion - it is heavy but its not so much of an issue if you give yourself good leverage and good space to manoeuvre (and be prepared to use the ground to rest and/or pivot to assist the rotation)