Fuel metering unit & cam seal woes | FerrariChat

Fuel metering unit & cam seal woes

Discussion in '308/328' started by John J., May 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John J.

John J. Karting

Sep 4, 2007
    South West England
    #1 John J., May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    Had a tick over problem for a while on my 1984 308 GTS QV where within a couple of minutes of starting from cold the engine revs build to tick over at 2000rpm and continue to do so even when fully warmed up, usually if you then switch off the engine and restart the tick over is a more reasonable 1200-1500rpm or so.

Finally had the problem looked at by a well respected independent who have traced it to a bunged up fuel metering unit, they are doing their best to clear it but if it needs a rebuild it will have to be sent away and cost around $1000. Does anyone know how these devices work and why a restart would drops the revs, surely if it was bunged up it would be like it all the time?

They have also diagnosed leaking cam seals which I hope to put off until next year when the cam belts are done. I check the oil level every time I drive the car and it doesn’t seem to be losing any so surely can't be a big issue. The garage did say it is possible for oil to get on the cam belts but they have never seen this happen, should I be worried? Incidentally, replacing the cam seals is going to cost $750 on top of whatever the belt change costs.

Would be great to hear peoples thoughts!

Cheers

2. Ron S

Ron S Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Ron Scarboro
    Just looked at by a respected independent here in Raleigh. They said it wasn't worth fixing and I should wait until the next major. It is a frustrating leak as it leaks onto the header and makes it smoke when you turn it off after a drive.

3. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    It sounds more like an air problem not "fuel metering head" aka fuel distributor. My business is rebuilding fuel distributors and warm up regulators, contact me and have the Bosch number from your fuel distributor ( so I will know what version you have ) and I can direct you through some tests.

Larry Fletcher
    CIS Flow Tech Llc.
    251-929-3771 CST USA
    [email protected]

4. John J.

John J. Karting

Sep 4, 2007
    South West England
    Thanks for that.

They claim to have have fixed the issue by cleaning it without rebuilding it, not picked up the car yet but I really hope so as they are charging nearly $500 for the pleasure.

Is the Bosch number easily accessible should I need to find it when I get the car back?

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Did you check the really simple stuff? I had something like this happen and it was the floor mat riding up on the gas pedal. Also there was a thread posted about an interference with the throttle mechanism. With the butterfly closed there should be some slack in the accel cable.

6. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    The Bosch number is on the left rear corner of the fuel distributor, it will be 0 438 100 034 or 0 438 100 139.

Larry Fletcher
    CIS Flow Tech Llc