328 Fog Light | FerrariChat

328 Fog Light

Discussion in '308/328' started by wowow, May 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wowow

wowow Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    A friend lost both fog lights in one night from driving behind a big truck. Lucky its the fog light and not he windscreen. Tried finding a new one on the internet but failed. Anyone can point me to a shop hat sells them ? many thanks. ( PS, or anyone has a spare pair for sale )

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 JV's89, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    Your freind would have been better off if it had been the windscreen. Re-production lenses (plastic) are available from Sqaudra Nuvalari (sp?). I don't have their contact info with me. If the damage is beyond the lenses you will have trouble getting parts.

3. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I believe I have seen the original one for $1500 per side, that around $3000 for a set if you can find them. The reproduction lens are good alternatives.

4. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Not to discourage you but it took me 1 1/2 years to find one for the left side ... very, very hard to find.

Superformance in the UK used to have reproduction plastic lenses only (not glass), not the complete assembly, but they don't list it anymore. Try contacting them.

Someone needs to consider making them again! For a reasonable price I would buy a set and keep the originals in the garage.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

And therein lies the problem. Manufacturing this item in the small lot sizes necessary to satisfy the market (sub 1000 pieces) the costs will be astronomical if quality is even a remote consideration.

6. wowow

wowow Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    Not encouraging information, but that does help my friend to understand what position he is in. Many thanks guys.

7. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I too have a 328...without the fog lights (part of the very-low-cost purchase for my newest restoration effort). I have since constructed brackets and installed 67 Ford Mustang turn signals...with excellent success. I am, however, interested in making molds for the fog light assemblies (the full assemblies, not just the lenses: many small pieces per assembly, including wiring, bulbs and hardware). The assemblies would be FRP and the lenses polycarbonate. If you, or anyone else is willing to "rent" me your worn-out/broken/used assemblies, then I could create the molds themselves and be concours correct. By rent, I do mean money for time borrowed.
    Thanks, Rob

1987 328 GTS
    Roswell GA

8. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Please post some pics of your "fogs"

Ace

9. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Yes, I understand that. I've even contacted Carello in Italy (now Marellli) and they were nice, but wouldn't consider less than 1.500 units !!!

I guess that in most cases the plastic assembly won't break (just the glass, not the body), unless it's an accident.
    So maybe just the plastic turn signal, in both euro and US versions, and the glass (or polycarbonate) would be a great help !

10. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #10 Robz328, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe ace_pilot was refering to my makeshift signal lights in his picture request.
    Attached is the picture. I had to make steel brackets and stamp holes for the round Mustang turn signals. They work very well. This certainly made me street legal until I can make a set of assemblies. Actual fog lights are not planned as yet. I am now in the process of restoring the underside / wheel wells.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I though I would re-post to spin-up the fog light issue. Please review.

Any comments on my 'restomod' turn signals (hey, they allow me to drive on the road).

Rob

12. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    When I purchased my car I had several people complement me on the fact that the fog light lenses were “perfect”. It was recommend that I protect them with 40 mil mylar film. Heck, the car had only 5600 miles on it (yep original & documented) so I didn’t think much about it. Then a few months ago….wham…. it sounded like I was shot at. I thought cr@p, something hit the car and damaged the metal. At first I couldn’t see any damage. Then a few weeks later I saw the cracked fog light. Okay no problem, just buy a replacement. Yeah right. Simply said: "I’m hosed". I’ll pay going rate for one, it’s finding one that’s the problem.

For those of you who still have good glass, protect it now, this weekend, before you drive another mile. You’ll thank me later.

13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks! It's on my to do list before I hit the road again!

/td

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When I had clear bra installed 6.5 years ago, the foglamps were also coated. Will this be enough protection?

Thanks,
    Ron

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I thought I read somewhere that Verrell at "Unobtanium.com" was going to work on making some replacement plastic lenses.
    Somebody was going to send him an OEM unit as a pattern.

16. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Depends how thick the film is.

I put 40 mil film on mine right after I bought the car. 40 mil is pretty thick, film that thick is on the verge of being not flexible. But once it is applied to the lenses and trimmed, it virtually becomes invisible.

17. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    Jeff328 Did you just put the film on the front or on the sides as well? If you put it on the sides did you wrap it in one piece or in separate pieces? Also did you cover the yellow turn signal lens? I followed your recommendation and purchased the Lamin-x 40 mil film and will be putting it on in the next few days. Thanks for the info on where to purchase it.

18. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I think they're pretty good considering!

Whats the plan on making another set if I send you my fog lights?

19. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'd keep an eye on Specialized Italian Recycling. I know when I was doing my 328 a pair came up off of a car they were parting. $1500 a piece used.

20. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    For those of you who still have good glass, protect it now, this weekend, before you drive another mile. You’ll thank me later.[/QUOTE]

I did that over 2 years ago. Used the thick stuff (40mils, I think) Don't think I've had a direct hit on the lenses yet, but have had a couple of stone chips real close to the lights. Best to play it safe.

21. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Drew,
    The process will be long and painful...
    ...but very rewarding.

The Process:
    Basically, I will need to disassemble the donor assemblies, catagorize each piece, make molds for the plastic/glass pieces (the electrical connector pieces should be COTS---commercial-off-the-shelf), test/use the molds to make new pieces, assemble the new, assemble the donors and return (ideally, I would be able to show a side-by-side where the reconstructed looks new and of factory quality), test new assembly in my car, destructively test new assembly (throw rocks at it and see what it takes to break it), make a new assembly to verify repeatability. If all goes well, make available to the community (I may have to send a cut to Ferrari,SpA, oh, and hire a lawyer).
    BTW, I will make one side at a time.

To see pics, please go to Ricambi's web site and search (seach 328, non-ABS table 117, item 21 for US Versions). They have excellent front/back pics of formerly-available new assemblies. I have downloaded them for my records, but do not feel free to distribute without Ricambi's permission (Ricambi, please feel free to render permission if you wish).

Concerns for this effort:
    1. I would not plan to 'destructively' disassemble the donors; they must re-assemble easily and be at least as intact as they were when received. Since I have not had the priveledge of inspecting an assembly in hand, I will only make this assessment upon receipt.

2. Availability of quality thermoplastic materials. My initial thoughts were to make the housing parts out of FRP (fiber-reinforced plastic), however, the use of fiber may make the pieces too big/thick for correct look/spacing, so I will investigate purely plastic materials (FRP will be used if more strength is required, though, especially for the back end assemblies, which would not be seen after installation anyway). Lenses would be of clear base thermoplastic with pigments added for color.

3. Chemical/shop safety: I expect to be able to use readily-available two-part, room-temperature, epoxy materials to make all molded parts. If this is insufficient, then more sophisticated materials (for example: materials requiring additional chemical catalyzers and temperature/humidity-controlled environments) will have to be used; since I will be doing this at home, I am not prepared to go this far as yet. Also, I will not be seeking to do vacuum forming/injection molding. Vacuum-bagging will surely be an option, though. I also plan to be using some simple electroplating methods for making the reflector sides of the inner structures (unless, of course, the originals are simply painted chrome on the inside).

4. Electronics: Should be straighforward for metal parts. Making viable connectors will be challenging if not available from a vendor. Bulbs are the easy to acquire at auto parts stores (assumption).

So, hopefully, all will see that this is not a trivial task, however, I look forward to the challenge. I'm always interested in a new project.

Please email my public email ([email protected]) to get my private email and phone info (I will not give this info out on the public forum). We will make arrangements there. You can also pm me here, if you wish (this is an assumption since I haven't subscribed yet...I am certainly new to the world of Ferrari). As I said, I plan to be paying you a little money for the priviledge of using your assemblies.

Since my real job (Research Scientist at Georgia Tech) doesn't allow me to devote full time to this, I expect a practical development time of about 7 months.

Kind Regards,
    Rob Hemphill

22. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I just put the film on the front of the clear fog light lenses. It went nicely all the way to the edges. I cut the film with the backing on it using a scissors to get pretty close to the shape of the face of the lens. Then I peeled off the backing and applied the film to the lens surface, then VERY carefully trimmed it around the edges using a very sharp razor knife, being careful to not scratch the lens, or slip and gouge the bumper or cut off one of my fingers.

I did not cover the turn signal lenses for a couple reasons - I have a spare brand-new-in-the-box set of those, they are still available from Ricambi, and the film would be much more noticeable on the orange lens.

23. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    Thanks for the info. Will be putting them on before I drive next time

24. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Jeff, thanks for the reply. Can this 40 mil film be placed on top of my clear bra? Where can I get this? (Autozone?)

Ron

25. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I got my film from Lamin-X, online at www.lamin-x.com or toll-free 866.632.6182. I bought two 6" x 12" bulk sheets of clear 40 mil film for $24.95 + $6.95 shipping. Lamin-X part number 2-612. I checked on their web site and the part number and price are still acurate. http://www.lamin-x.com/Two-6x12-Universal-Lamin-x-Covers-p/2-612.htm

The 328 foglights are slightly smaller than 3" x 12". Turns out one 6" x 12" sheet of film is enough to do both the fog light lenses if you carefully cut the film sheet in half the long way. (i.e., into two 3" x 12" strips). So if you are feeling brave you could order one 6" x 12" sheet (Lamin-X p/n 1-612) for $12.95. I figured may as well get 2 pieces just in case.

I don't know if it can be placed on top of a clear bra or not. I would think it needs to adhere directly to the glass. I'm sure if you call Lamin-X they could tell you.