What is the "right" price for an SLR? | FerrariChat

What is the "right" price for an SLR?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by shahedc, May 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

At what price would you consider buying an SLR?

1. N/A, I already have one. :-)

2. Current prices look good, I'll buy one!

3. I'll wait till it drops further, maybe into the low $200k.

4. N/A, I would never get such a heavy piece of junk! :-0

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    #1 shahedc, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    Omissions of major variables here. What year? 2005 was first so that's a factor. Color, originally offered in just 2 finishes (Crystal Laurite Silver and Crystal Galaxite Black), but in later years MB broadened their horizons with those options. Interior color. Were I in the market for one, I'd likely pay $10k more for one with the "300SL Arrow Red" interior, I seem to recall it was a considerable extra-cost option too but don't remember how much. Obviously, mileage. 3k miles or 30k miles? They are true exotics to be sure, but yet could be easily and comfortably like it was an S-class with same kind of mileage.

By the numbers quickly I'd say 190-210 for an '05
    225-250, '06
    275-300 '07
    and the Roadsters, though far less attractive in my opinion, seem to command a hefty premium. These were after all 465-540k MSRP cars when new.

3. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC

well, whatever suits you... the coupes have stopped production, as will the roadsters (if they haven't stopped already)

the earlier models could sell at $200k or less, while a recent model in the $300k range.

so far, all the responses have been "no"

if someone responds yes later on, they can also post more details of the model year they want. :)

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Are you just fishing for a a nonchalant opinion because your considering one? If I had the money to fill my stable with cars that have a McLaren badge it would be a F1 and not an SLR except if the boss wanted one. The car's a pisser and I like them yet something tells me that I should spend my money more wisely.

5. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    nope, I am not considering one.. click my username and look at my other posts... the only exotic brand I am considering is a pre-owned 360, and other new cars in that price range. :)

I have an SLK (which I bought new and plan to keep) and I love it, and I don't think I will be getting an SLR any time soon, since it's not in my price range :D

even if the SLR was in my price range, I would have to get many other cars first before getting an SLR

e.g. the latest models from various manufacturers in the future ;)
    * Ferrari mid-engined V8 (F430 successor?)
    * Lamborghini mid-engined V10 (Gallardo successor?)
    * Porsche 911 Turbo (997 or future version)
    * Porsche Cayman S
    * Aston Martin V12 Vantage :)

if I have any change any left in this hypothetical future, maybe then I'll get an SLR for $200k or less :)

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

We have a new 2009 SLR 722 S roadster in our showroom listed for $547K USD...........I'd easily buy 6-8 cool cars for that amount of money. Cars that would have, for the most part, stopped depreciating by now as well. If I had the funds personally I would not buy an SLR at any price greater than $100K USD. It's just too damn ugly.

7. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Too big, too heavy, auto tranny, poor handling.

8. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Get a Carrera GT.. But hey.. thats me!!!

9. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho

10. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    hey absent, if you do get an SLR this year... make sure you post some group pics with the rest of the cars in your stable...

Personal Ferraris
    Scuderia
    Other Cars Owned
    CGT Speed,RR SC

... thanks in advance! :D