348 year of manufacture differences | FerrariChat

348 year of manufacture differences

Discussion in '348/355' started by robcarter, May 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robcarter

robcarter Rookie

May 15, 2009
    Worcs (GB)
    Full Name:
    Robert Carter
    Hi

I'm looking at buying a 348 (I'm in Great Britain by the way), I seen two cars one is a 1990 reg, the other a 1993 reg, apart from the obvious fact that one is newer, were there many changes between a 90 model and the 93 model (both are a 348 TS), I read somewhere that early 348's suffered from handling problems. Also do ferrari's in general suffer from the old Italian car problem of rust.
    thanks
    rob carter

2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Rob,
    You may want to throw this up in the tech section. I have a lot of differences but mine is a 93SS, so I won't be of much assistance. 3Forty8 is a good source, as is Rifledriver and VVassallo. PM those guys...

By the way, just noticed it was your first post WELCOME and if you get a 348 we will all love you in the brotherhood! LOL! Great bunch of guys.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is a medium sized phone book sized book of tech bulletins covering the product changes over the life of 348. It would be best to just say the newer the better.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Have a thorough read of this site but also specifically here : www.club348.com

5. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    Motronic 2.5 going to 2.7 - So much better resolution and fuel mapping, though the catalytic converter ECU is a major pain.
    Emission controls being added - catalytic converters, air injection and charcoal filter - good for green, bad for cost, reliability and performance (a little)
    Gearbox - the best of all 348's sits in the '93. All you need is a preventative bearing replacement service (let alone a gearbox bearing failure) to be done that you make up for the difference in cost
    Aircon ECU, in the '93 much more reliable
    Clutch - The 93 has a single disc clutch which is much cheaper than the twin disk
    Suspension setup and weight distribution making '93's handle better
    Clutch Thrust Bearing - has been improved on the '93
    That's the important stuff, oh yes, the '90 had aluminum cam belt covers and the '93 brittle black covers that fall apart.
    Oil pump chain tensioner is much more reliable on the '93
    Exhaust (I believe) is a single pot instead of the dual pots...

That's all I can remember for now

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Really? I did not know that there were better gearbox designs on the later cars. Also unaware of the different aircon ECU changing design.
    some more info on differences found here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105953&highlight=early+348
    :)
    BT

7. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    That other thread refernced by Bill has everything you'll need

8. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    not sure about UK cars but in the US the 95's came with the new R134a in the AC system

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Something with the fuel lines and the front air scoop in the hood. Not to mention the upgraded center console and the newer alternator