Ipod Adapter Installation for 360...PICS | FerrariChat

Ipod Adapter Installation for 360...PICS

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, May 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1 brokenarrow, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was considering replacing the head unit with something more capable. I was persuaded to try the adapter so ordered it up and it arrived some four days later. So, the unit cord consists of an identical plug that fits directly into the back of your Becker unit.

1. I just turned the car off, but did not turn off the power (maybe you should to be safe--I'm a tard so this is not how to do it, but how I did it).
    2. Insert the release keys ALL the way into the Becker unit--see pic.
    3. Then gently pulled the unit, and it came straight out with enough play in the cable to allow me to rest it on a shirt on the shifter housing.
    4. My plug did not come out easily, I used some channel lock plyers to gently wiggle it off. GENTLY!
    5. Once off, I removed the yellow portion of the old plug and slid it into the new one.
    6. Then I put the new plug into the Becker unit--it went right in--do NOT force anything--check alignment if it hesitates.
    7. Align the stereo with its cavern, be sure the keys are all the way in, then gently slide it in until it clicks.
    8. Remove the keys carefully as to not scratch the outside housing of the stereo. I gently wiggled them back and forth until they came free.
    9. I pressed the power button (yes, you can power it up without the ignition key on, or even in the ignition).
    10. Do the programming as directed, which is just holding a button down for eight seconds and pushing a button so the stereo knows it's there.
    11. Turn off the stereo, then back on so it can cycle and recognize the new programming.
    12. Plug in your I-Pod and your are in business.
    13. Installation of this adapter will NOT allow you to use the external CD player, if you have one. I didn't so no biggie.

Clapton is just what happened to be playing on the radio when I was done.

Cheers~

I am NOT affiliated with Becker, or any company for that matter. I'm a goof-off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    Great idea! Where did you get the adaptor... do you have a part number?

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Way slick!!

Becker Autosound, check out first pic.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The phone number is on the first pic as well. I called with a couple of questions and they knew their stuff. I highly reccomend them if you're looking to add this option. I wish I had done it sooner.

The sound is a very good quality; solid bass and clear treble.

I'm very pleased for $70--cheapest add I've done to my 360.

Cheers~

5. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    What model of Becker head unit is that?
    I have a 6104 and was told that this ipod adaptor would not work!

Thanks

6. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #6 wahoowa, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Awesome :D glad it worked out, Bill!

7. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    hang on - you left out the most important pic. where and how did you route the wire from behind the head unit into and accessible spot in the cabin?

i'd love to do this on my 05 575. i assume its the same head unit - right? i take it the plug works with the iphone - does it charge the iphone/ipod too?

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don't know the model number of the Becker unit, sorry. Look at my set-up and compare it to yours.

Thanks Bill~

I did not run the cable under the carpet, but have it running along the inside of the driver side to the center console. I would say that is one thing they could do to make it better--MAKE IT LONGER!! I would say at least two feet would give you plenty to work with. If they're going to go to the trouble of making it, an extra two feet would only be a slight incremental cost.

9. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    won't that adapter only allow you to play your 'playlist'?

And takes away control from the ipod itself?
    Or not?

10. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I'm ordering mine today. Many thanks for the post!!!

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #11 brokenarrow, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Hmmm. Let me check into that Hunter.

You'll enjoy it, Tuan.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    very nice! What year is your 360 again? I think I remember hearing something (I could be wrong) about only 360's after a certain year would accept this upgrade (again, I could be mistaken about that).

Ray

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Ray.

It's a 2000. I would talk to the guys at Becker before doing it to be sure. They are pretty sharp. If you have an Ipod, which I'm sure you do, you should have this.

Again, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake not making it longer. It will fit in the console, upside down.

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'll take a pic of it inside the car.

15. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Guys (and girls), if length matters and you do NOT need charging capability for your iPod, Becker makes a cable ($20) that terminates as R/L Stereo RCA plugs. Connect an RCA to mini (iPod headphone) in the the length you wish and run that to your iPod. Today's iPod's run 30 hours between charges, so charging capability might not be that big a deal.

You can always buy a Griffin dock that plugs into your cig lighter has a built in head phone out jack that you can connect to the cable, this way the unit charges and can be articulated w the gooseneck for best access.

If I recall correctly Jamie140 posted great pics (inspired me to do it) of his installation.

As far as functionality goes, unless you go w the Becker Cascade (430) all of these cables allow full functionality of the iPod, but can only be controlled from the device itself.

16. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #16 wahoowa, May 20, 2009
  17. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That is a cool set-up. I wonder if there is a sound difference having it connected to the bottom vs the earphone jack? I don't know, I'm asking.

Does it get in the way where it is? Interesting.

I'll go take a pic now...

18. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    In a G6, bottom feed by-passes the volume circuit and (I think) sounds better - this particular Belkin has a line out - you also don't risk blowing speakers when accidentally pegging the iPod volume if using the headphone out jack. On earlier gens bottom feed is much better sounding and can be modded further- (ie redwine audio). Having said that, if you are running into the standard F Stereo, the SQ difference will be negligible.

Other than shaking around, it works fine - most of the time, though, I just plug directly into the iPod (through the bottom w an adapter) and it sits in the little cubby.

19. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I ordered the cable, but when I tried to remove my head unit to do this, it wouldn't pull out enough to access the back of the unit. So I got on the floor and looked up and found that the factory guys had used strap ties to tie all the wires to parts of the dash, etc. I would have to cut those straps and I decided I'd never be able to do as good as job so I stopped. I have the dams cable in the attic now. Maybe someday....

20. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #20 brokenarrow, May 20, 2009
    Good to know Bill. Maybe you can post some better pictures so everyone can see how it fits and works. I know I'd like to see more.

Okay, I just went through all the motions with the I-Pod and you can play playlists, songs everything you can do if you're wearing it. You cannot control the volume from the unit though--which is good.

Here are pics of mine in the car in two different places; one on the ashtray (I prefer it here), and in the center console. I can use it in either place, but prefer the shifter area, at least now. I use a Fidelity non-slip rubber dealie I picked-up at an investment conference (no affiliation with Fidelity), and it keeps it sitting there pretty well--no banging around. I'll keep you posted.

The sound is excellent, and it does charge the unit simultaneously. Two-thumbs up folks...

Bill~

21. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #21 brokenarrow, May 20, 2009
    Yeah, I saw a couple of cable ties that I cut off as they were in the way and really didn't serve any purpose other than to keep them from hanging down. I just gently twisted mine so they'd coil in a circle as I put them up, and it worked. If you can take a picture, I'm sure we can give you some input if you chose to proceed.

In the attached photo, you can see one of the ties I had to cut near the base of the cable bundle. Once I cut it, the unit came out easily. A step I didn't mention in my instructions, but really not a big deal to me.

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    haha.. I actually don't have an ipod. I have one of the little ipod shuffles that I use when I work out at the gym, but I don't know if that would plug into the adapter or not. My car has the 6 CD changer, so usually I just burn some CD's and I'm good. I don't listen to the radio all that much when I drive.

Ray

23. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don't believe my ears. I'm afraid your shuffle won't work, my friend. Unless you get the cable that plugs into the earphone jack--it'll do just fine.

But, given you have the 6 disc player it makes sense. I will say there are over 1,200 song on my I-pod allowing me to listen for days without doing really anything different.

I am beginning to listen to music more and more as I own the car, and it's certainly not that I'm tired of the beautiful sound the car makes. Some days are car sound days, others are music days. As you know you can't really talk on the phone so there aren't that many options, unless your girlfriend is with you, of course.

24. boraville

boraville Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Livingston, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bora Sultan
    Bill,

Once again, Outstanding Post. Nothing like HQ pics to make a job look easy. Just ordered mine from Dan @ Becker.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

B

25. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Dan also mentioned that they have a better model Becker that has bluetooth, but they're currently out of stock. Approx. $600 for that radio and $1xx for the compatible ipod cable.