Grand Prix World Championship | FerrariChat

Grand Prix World Championship

Discussion in 'F1' started by Astrand, May 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    Well with all this F1 Teams vs FIA issue, I started thinking how could a world with a break away series be. It seems to me this is a great chance to break away from Ecclestone/Mosley/FIA gang. Lets say Ferrari,Renault,BMW,Toyota,Red Bull and Toro Rosso break away and create the GPWC. How would it be? Can it be attractive having GPWC and F1 at the same time? Who will fill out the rest of the grid? How would you make the championship?

+In my ideal championship for starters, the cars will be lookers. That is for sure, not ridiculous rear wings and front wings. Of course it is a good idea for the cars to create clean air to the car behind him to help over-taking.
    +Cars should be faster than F1 ;)
    +Real race tracks: Have 1 race in each country, not this Valencia no sense. Have races in North America, and even one in Argentina. Races in places were people will fill the stands to see them. Countries that could have races would be: Canada, US, Mexico, Argentina, Brasil, Britain, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Japan, Australia, UAE. South Africa. China, Monaco.
    +Privateer outfits, but maybe not with the same name as in MotoGP. But allowing a Manufacture to run 2 extra cars with different name. Think Ferrari-Maserati, Renault-Nissan, and other teams like BMW and Toyota could run privateer outfits. Bring out the Brabham name with BMW?
    +Distributing race and tv revenues between teams and just covering the series costs and not filling the pockets of promoters and "regulating associations".
    +Trying to attract names like Brabham, Lotus, and new manufacturers like Audi/VW.
    +Great TV coverage
    +Bringing fans and the teams/drivers closer with competitions, autograph sessions, etc etc.
    +A sensible championship point distribution that encourages overtaking.
    +Bringing big name drivers to the championship: Maybe even a Rosberg could find itself attracted, even if his team is not. Raikkonen, Massa, Vettel. And good newcomers that could bring a lot to the sport. Grosjean, Senna, Hulkenberg or hey why not even a Rossi, if this was considered in F1 why not in a new series

How would you do it?

I really don't want to see F1 break away, but i dont want to see Mosely/Ecclestone either. I want to see all this in F1 not a break away series. But if it happens id rather watch a good structured championship than F1 just for the F1 name and history.

Astrand

P.S: Besides if there is a new breakaway series or if Ferrari remains in F1, id really like to see them in Le Mans again.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I myself have been thinking a lot about how one could start an F1 breakaway series.

Key to this is not to get the drivers, but the TEAMS. If you get Ferrari, Mclaren and renault alone, the rest will follow, no doubt about it.

engine wise, I'd think its a good idea to bring back V10's. Limit them to 21K RPM and allow for one engine per weekend.

Clean bodies. VERY clear rules about floors, diffusers, clever stupid wings etc etc. Very simple. Front wing, Rear wing (both up to certain size). Simple diffusers which provide high downforce with minimum airflow disturbance.

2: 9
    3: 6
    4: 5
    5: 4
    6: 3
    7: 2
    8: 1

Pole: 1
    Fastest lap: 1

I quite like the current F1 qualifying format so that can stay.

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    All it takes is someone with a clear strong unbiased view of what F1 should be, and someone that listens to the fans and what they want, afterall we are the ones that pay.

Dictators like Mosley, are for the weak minded.

4. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I would like to see a return to the old qualifying system—an all out 60 minute scramble with all cars (in qualifying trim) on the track at the same time. The only thing that should change is a mandatory minimum running time during the session.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I do not believe a breakaway series is viable. At least not until 2011, if then.

Who will pay for it? Who will make the rules? Who will operate the series and enforce the rules? Where will they run the series that is not already committed to FIA? How will the teams overcome the immediate loss of TV revenue, and what TV revenue would be available to them in the future? How will the grid be filled? What happens if one of the mentioned teams leaves F1 for other reasons in the next few years?

Sounds silly, but the only existing series that could help run a new F1 is the IRL. I would think Tony George would no concern over pissing off Bernie or Max

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    "Breakaway series" are the two words most likely to send major corporate involvement rushing to the sidelines. Just look at the carnage of CART/IRL. While on one hand F1 is a far superior series on most every front, the players involved are much more arrogant and stubborn as well. All it takes for a major player like Mercedes or BMW is a couple years out of F1 to realize what little negative impact a non-presence would have on the parent company. It isn't 1981--there is too much investment at stake and momentum to be maintained. The people involved in F1 need to reach agreement, and that includes Bernie respecting and weighing the wishes of all teams. He needs to slow down from time to time and remember that, just because a thought pops into his head, that doesn't automatically qualify it as gospel.

7. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I think your questions apply to the remaining F1 much more than it would apply to FOTA. The way they have been bailing on traditional tracks, there are plenty of places to go racing. Monza would be available real soon as the stands would be pretty empty without the Tifosi and interest would go down in Spain and Brazil with drivers switching leagues. FOTA teams are the ones with the best drivers, the best cars, the best brand names, and the deepest pockets. The glamour would go with the big spenders. Monaco for F1 would be a shell of itself. FOTA would form a sporting league very similar to others around the world, with a governing body that is focused on the fans and economic interest of the team owners. I just don't think Max and Bernie do that anymore.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #8 RP, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    FOTA includes all of the existing teams, it is not a separate group within F1. Not all of FOTA would leave the FIA, only four teams went public. All four of them were against the two tier governing system, which is now history. Only one team, Ferrari, is absolutely against budget caps. The other teams of FOTA would be staying with the FIA, such as BrawnGP. Probably Williams. Possibly BMW.

I think you, actually most people, underestimate the difficulty of establishing a professional international series. Who will pay for it is one of my questions. Do you think these 4, maybe 5, teams will shell out the money to put on a race series with only 8-10 cars? TV revenue pays for a lot of the team's expenses, so how long will the teams in question want to be without this revenue since Bernie controls the current TV rights? This is not one of those "run what you brung" type series. Some entity must run the series.

And I would bet withiin 5 years, people will start to complain about the rules established by that entity.

9. FerrariF1v12

FerrariF1v12 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2007
    Liberty City
    Full Name:
    Christian
    3 liter twin turbo v12s

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    This is all very hypothetical - I think we'll see a budget cap announced (~UKP 50-60MM IMHO). There will be other "secret" deals with the "big teams" that we'll never know about and they'll kiss and makeup.

However, as much as I'm looking forward to some cars circulating, I'll throw in my 02c FWIW:

+1 For sure. However, unless the breakaway series chooses the FIA as their sporting authority (something MM has already offered btw!) tracks aren't as available as you assume - Most of 'em host loads of other meetings, and most of those are ultimately run under the auspices of the FIA. The RAC for example in the UK is a member of the FIA and administers (most) UK racing. If the FIA says "jump", all of these guys ask "how high?".... I don't understand why, but it's a fact [See: MM "vote of confidence".]

I'm almost certain that they never did!..... I'll concede the improvements in safety, but beyond that MM and the evil pygmy are interested solely in themselves / their ego's and bank balances. "Focused on the fans!" - P-l-e-a-s-e! :D

However, it seems to me there are two ways successful "big-time pro sports" are administered:

1. The truly independent (?!) sporting authority - The FIA, IOC, UEFA, FA are a few (supposed) examples. They shouldn't be "swayed" by the desires of the participants, but rather the good of their sport. [Yeah, right ;)]
    2. Where the owners (FOTA in our case) make their own rules - All of the major US sports are this way.

The NFL and MLB seem to hum along quite successfully......

Cheers,
    Ian

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ian, I don't see the need for a breakaway series, Mosley is the problem get rid of him and the battle is won.

In the middle of 2000 the European heads of government gathered for a Council of Europe in Nice.

One of their aims of that meeting was to to define how to apply European Union law to the governance of sport. They ended up drafting a document which set out the general principles by which EU institutions should deal with sport, stressing its support for the independence of sports organisations.

Mosley having given special powers of veto to Ferrari and numerous other infractions has dug his own grave IMO.

He will know this, watch him back down, then try to claim he has saved the sport, like the low life he is.

12. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    Well it seems that hasn't happened and today FOTA was announced a breakaway series and I can say it sounds a bit exciting.

So here is the post again, how can you do it. We all know you can use historic circuits BE has shunned for other venues. Im also hoping this brings racing back to North America. Montreal, Silverstone, and if Ferrari agrees no more testing in Mugello, I think thats a superb circuit for F1.

Semi-Private customer teams like Nissan (from Renault) Maserati/Alfa (from Ferrari) and others might not be a bad idea, instead of the 3 car idea some had. You entrust two more cars to a private outfit and they get factory support and maybe even a factory name. Better to see a private Maserati outfit that a Manor/Cosworth outfit. Hell in fact it seems F1 will be a Cosworth championship only.

I was kinda hoping Prodrive dropped its conditional entries and joined FOTA as Aston Martin would be a good addition to have. But it seems Lola has though of this and might be interested in joining FOTA.

Get drivers, which seems they did, just hope Adrian Sutil and Nico Rosberg don't go to F1 and instead go to the FOTA championship.

But anyways, what other ideas would you have to run the breakaway championship.