Any advice on jacking a F430 | FerrariChat

Any advice on jacking a F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by johnnyp, May 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnnyp

johnnyp Rookie

Nov 10, 2004
    Chicagoland
    I just got a new set of wheels and will be jacking up my F430 for the first time. Any tips on what or not what to do? Thanks.

2. 430spider

430spider Karting

May 12, 2006
    North Tustin
    Full Name:
    James Warden
    I would not do it without a lift. There is no place for a jack stand if you use the jacking pad for the jack ...

3. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There are jack points for both the front and rear wheels if you check the owners manual. I usuallly use two jacks on the same side (front and back) and jack the car up evenly. Block the wheels on the other side, I do it all the time to change wheels for track days. By jacking up the front and rear you don't create torque on the frame and can change both wheels with one jacking.

4. scifoso tifoso

scifoso tifoso Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Full Name:
    John G
    I had to click this topic, for a second there you were talking about car theft.

LOL, misleading title.

5. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    you will need a lo-profile hydraulic lift to clear the undercarriage. a standard lift will not have enough clearance!

6. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    You need a low profile jack and beacuse the car is so stiff that you can get both the front and rear wheels on one side off the ground by jacking at the rear jack point. This recommendation came from a technician at the local Ferrari dealer...I have done this several times with no issues.

7. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    +1

8. OneofMillions

OneofMillions Karting

Nov 8, 2007
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    Christian L.
    and I can confirm, I just saw this done. Pretty amazing to see the front coming up from the back being jacked up.

9. johnnyp

johnnyp Rookie

Nov 10, 2004
    Chicagoland
    I am guessing that the frame is more than strong enough to take the stress? Are the jack points right at the edge? I want to make sure that I don't need a "long reach" low profile jack.

10. johnnyp

johnnyp Rookie

Nov 10, 2004
    Chicagoland
    I guess I could have chosen some better words... don't want anything thinking that you have the wrong types on this board.

11. OneofMillions

OneofMillions Karting

Nov 8, 2007
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    Christian L.
    They are circular access points in the underneath body work to the actually frame. Most of the time I see someone using a small metal plate or other circular device to mate a low profile jack mate with the actual car frame. It's not far underneath, just less than a foot in if I remember correctly.

12. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Man, this thread came up perfectly timed.
    I'm going to pull the wheels off the F430 this weekend and clean the inside of the wheels.
    I did this to my 993 last weekend and, as this thread suggests, positioning the jack in front of the rear wheels lifted the entire side of the car.
    Frank

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    two floor jacks, one on each side. That's how I do it.

Ray

14. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    #14 ferrarilou, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    On my slightly lowered 360, a low profile racing jack reaches easily. Mine is a cheap Northern Tool unit but it gets the job done. Be careful though to make sure that the jack pad fits well within the circular lift point and that the jack rolls to stay within that point as you raise the car. Since the geometry of the jack arm causes it to travel in an arc on the way up, if the jack wheels don't roll to compensate then you wind up having the jack pad slide the inch or so across into the undertray edge and damaging it. I check its position fairly frequently as I lift the car just to be sure the undertray isn't getting pinched. I've also started using circular spacers between the jack and lift point so that it clears the undertray in case of a small slip. My other hydraulic jack, a heavy duty iron american made Lincoln jack with larger wheels, does a much better job at this but doesn't fit under the car unless it is already up on wood skids.

You can place a jack stands under the rear wing at the far outside edges just before it disappears under the undertray. This is near the attachment points for the wing and it is very strong there. Recommended to me by a dealer years ago and I've done it many times with no issue. I use a poly protector cap on my jack stands though there isn't much of a finish to protect on the wing.

Lou

15. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I don't have two floor jacks, but would still like to pull the wheels off to clean them. With one jack, is it better to jack up each corner of the car or just lift from in front of the rear wheel and lift the entire side of the car?

Thanks for the help.

Frank

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    spend $59 - get another jack.

Ray

17. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Ray, you're right and that's what I did. I got one of those cool LED jacks at Sears.

Thanks,
    Frank