Gold Coast 650 million Motor Sports Facility??? | FerrariChat

Gold Coast 650 million Motor Sports Facility???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Modeler, May 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Ran across this post at Oz-clubbies and offer it up in the spirit of 'you heard it first'. -

"I am not sure if this has been mentioned previously, as I have not been on this site for a while. If it has apologies, however just coming across my desk this morning are details of an environmental impact study for an estimated 650 million MOTOR SPORTS FACILITY here on the Gold Coast.

The architect contracted is located in Germany while the site address is
    Eggersdorf Rd, Burnside Rd, Norwell Rd Norwell Q 4208

Proposed is a motor sport facility to include
    · International standard motor sport circuit (6.5 km approx length)
    · Botanical Park
    · Urban village development
    · Television and technology facility
    · Hotel & resort facilities
    · Theme Park
    · Educational & motor sport training facilities
    · Automotive Business Park
    · Research & Development Park with wind tunnel facilities
    · Museum, Exhibition and Arts Centre
    · Parks, walkways and water features

Supporting infrastructure development may include
    · Additional rail station between Ormeau & Coomera
    · Upgrade & widening of arterial roads to M1 Motorway"

http://www.oz-clubbies.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11134

If you search google maps for Goldmine Rd, Norwell Q 4208 it will pin point the center of the land in question.
    Maybe someone more familiar with the area could comment? I'm curious if there's any chance of getting it past noise issues.
    It does seem well placed as far as access and traffic flow goes.
    Pretty grandiose ambitions though.

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    while in Bahrain it only cost $150mill to build... hmmmmm :eek:

3. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    That doesn't appear to be too far from Moretts, he can perhaps have some constructive input here. It is close to residential so not sure how it will go.

Its about time a new motorport facility was built.

4. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Yes that's an aweful lot of money to find in the present climate.
    They'd go for more bite size chunks I'd guess.

I thought Moretts might know the area, too.

5. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yeah, no doubt the do gooders will be out saying that could put x number of police on the streets or nurses in hospitals etc. :rolleyes:

6. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Most new(ish) race facilities are located in industrial areas (Eastern Creek/Perth Motorplex etc.) or are under flight paths or rural in areas ie, areas that are NOT near residential.

This seems to butt up against NEW residential so I think it would have the proverbial “snow ball’s chance in hell” of getting through.

I have not seen any other references to this but that is not to mean that there are not feasibilities and plans being done.

I am a developer, and I have a suspicious mind, if I owned that land and was having grief from the council about a development I wanted to do, a ploy to get the ball rolling “may” be to say.......

“Ok I am going to propose a big, noisy, controversial development that will involve State and Federal government, create masses of work and uncertainty for the local council………….. OR………….. Let me do the residential development how I want now…… “

Just the “rumour” of this is likely to drop 5-10% off the percieved land value for the neighbouring properties and the council will be getting plenty of calls about it already.

7. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Don't mention the war.

8. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the old Frank Gardiner training facility is in Norwell so maybe they are proposing using that as a launching pad.

There are mostly sugar cane farmers around the facility and the roads will need a HUGE upgrade to handle any large number of cars but it would be ideal as noise is only going to affect minimal people (but it only takes ONE)

The FCA have done a couple of days there and I've done the one day driving course just after they changed from Mercs to Holdens, good fun, still drive like **** (3 bloody secs !!!!!)

After driving the QV up to Tambourine Mt yesterday I think it is time to get rid of old cars and move onto cars with traction control, ABS, ASC, etc etc as it is damn dangerous driving in abominable conditions without all these extra aids increasing the safety margin.

I did the drive in both the QV and then immediately after in the 5 series and the comfort and safety factor was chalk and cheese, I love the QV but it is not in the same league as the BM in diabolical conditions that we had on the Mt yesterday, the BM swerved around falling trees (missed one by metres as it fell , the QV would have hit the tree, ASC and ABS on the BMer just drove around after braking in super short distance (I did the brakes on the BM too Brettski :p )

9. jim501

jim501 Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Gold Coast
    This was touted a few years back, and didn't really think it got past the idea stage, Dicky J was involved as one of the spokesmen. Nice idea but no chance really, not just the money but as others have said, this is just canefields at the moment but will be in the middle of it all in 20 years so don't know how that will go down, although the area just north of there is quite heavy industrial, VIP petfoods, brewery etc so guess they have to draw a line somewhere.

Saying all that I want it! PITA to have to drive an hour to get to QR and it's just a paperclip!

10. jim501

jim501 Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Gold Coast
    Beat me too it.
    And you must have been bloody game going up the mountain yesterday! I was there on Monday as the rain started and it was bad enough then!

11. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.

Ya just gettin old Moretti! I survived the trip in a Hyundai Getz remember!!!! LOL, glad you got home Ok though; the crappy seats and poor ergonomics in the rentabox mean I'm extremely stiff and sore in the shoulders today...
    This motorpsort complex was talked about some time ago, but IIRC it was being pushed by Craig Gore so I wouldn't get too excited about it now.

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    you're thinking of Darlington Park, was going to be called Motorsport World but unfortunately the billionaire who owned it and was developing it died and the kids weren't interested so it closed ... it was bloody dangerous to drive there anyway, too many trees close to the track and run off areas ... easily fixed with a chainsaw though :p , I'm such an environmentalist

13. jim501

jim501 Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Gold Coast
    Nah not Darlington, the plan is for behind VIP and the likes there. Up past the retirement village on Gold Mine Rd

Here's the link to the mob that are behind it
    http://www.imett.com.au/index.html

14. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    No point in asking Moretti for input as he would design a track with speed bumps as I know how much he loves them.

15. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Now Moretti will know it!

(3 seconds)

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes Karen...I think Moretti needs to be put down after a post like that.

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    a Getz is pure luxury compared to a 24 year old QV with the demister fan not working :eek:

being able to see is half the battle, the ASC and ABS were lighting up like Xmas trees all the way up and down the mountain in the BMW and the poor old QV only had my reflexes to compensate for the slipping and sliding on the leaves and branches ..... of course Horse would have been able to react to the slides 3 secs faster :p

As for the motorsport complex, they just closed the karting complex at Coomera for another housing development so I don't like the chances of the Norwell thing happening any time soon with urban creep heading north rapidly

BTW Kaz, did you see the tree that SES had to chop up to clear the road ?

18. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Your wet has arrived down here too.
    9 meter flooding at lismore.
    Kids are happy with school closed.

19. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Hence why I was driving a Getz on the day ;)! But that isn't to say I'd ever think about swapping my carb'd glory for anything run by computer chips!
    Tree was just cleared when I went through and TONS of branches etc plus at least one lot of SEQEB (or whatever they're called these days) on the road. Probably the most nervewracking trip I've ever done in my life. Just over 2 hrs to Bne...

20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    most of the debris on the road had been blown away by the time we left for the Coast, but the amount of leaves on the road was causing the ASC to almost be permanently on all the way down the mountain as it mashed into the road and very slippery.

I'm taking the QV for a spin today seeing as how the sun is finally out and I need to re-affirm that she is still the love of my life .... the weather still looks ominous up north ?

21. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    #21 vroomgt, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    I know a little about this from a couple of years ago..

I think the options that were held over the land involved have well and truly lapsed and that this will be hard to get up again...

But you never know.

It was proposed by the group that won the the rights to the WRC round.

To my knowledge the options over the land involved some 600 hectares lapsed in early 2008.

it was taken to the state government where there was some support but my understanding is that this is no longer a goer.

I also have been told that Herman Tilke visited and was going to master plan the whole thing.

22. GTRMagic

GTRMagic Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Hey Mr Dee Jay....
    I dont think this young fella will be in a position to help Here