UFC and MMA Thread | Page 18 | FerrariChat

UFC and MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Highlow, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I feel Evans is stronger than Machida . I'm hoping Evans wins. I like to see Serra whip Hughes ass, but I just can't see it happening. The Sherk/Edgar fight is gonna be a good one. I hope Miller beats Sonnen. I think Sonnen is over ratted and getting up there in age.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Machida is a more complete fighter. He has better tools and skills but it takes more than that to win. I do not think evans can tapout machida and up is his only chance. I think machida could take evans either up or down. In the end it will depend on fight prep and luck to see who is standing.

3. Donelise

Donelise Rookie

Feb 21, 2008
    Newport Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Don Paul
    I'm with ya.... I'm putting what little money I have on Evans. I would love to see Serra put some hurt on Huges as I have not been fond of him since the Royce Gracie match.
    Cheers, Don

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The Dragon destroyed Evans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Billy msck360

Billy msck360 Rookie

May 14, 2009
    Edmonton alberta can
    Full Name:
    Billy Mackendrick
    omg!!!!!! What a one sider... I love it..

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    He will have this belt for awhile!!

7. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    karate is back! lol..

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    2 surprises in one night! The Dragon demolishes Evans - I did not think it would happen, but he basically answered any questions.

Other surprise - props to my local homey Frank Edgar. I wasn't sure he was ready for someone as seasoned as Sherk, but he came through with flying colors. I believe Frank is now a purple belt in BJJ, so his game is rounding out nicely, and his striking was really good last night. He's got a portfolio of wins over a "who's who" in his division!

9. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1---Edgar looked very good

10. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    I thought that was funny when Machida said that, I guess he forgot that GSP is a Kyokushin Black Belt!

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Very good fight card.

I am disappointed with Evans. I don't take anything away from Machida, but I thought Evans would have done better.

Big props to Edgar. I am a big fan of his, and he beat one of the top dogs. Could he now possibly get a title shot? Watch out for Maynard though......this guy is going to be the champ soon.

Hughes/Serra was very entertaining. I was hoping Serra would pull it off, since I am not a fan of Hughes.

12. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Boy was I wrong AGAIN!!!! Machida was amazing. He'll be around a while. Edgar looked great. I thought the Hughes vs Serra fight was boring. They should have killed eachother!!!! There was so much hate there!
    Is there anyone out there @ 205 who can posess a threat to Machida's style????? ANYONE??? I hate to say, but Quinton would get killed!

13. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca

Maynard recently beat Edgar pretty soundly, he would probably get a title shot before Edgar.

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    True and he looked great!

15. Donelise

Donelise Rookie

Feb 21, 2008
    Newport Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Don Paul
    #440 Donelise, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    Watched the fight at OC's Chronic Cantina.... what a blast, Machida was awesome and my hat's of to Hughes. I pasted by Triangle
    Square around midnight and the place was besieged with police cars, fire trucks and emergency units, any O.C. guy's know what went down?

16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Yes, Anderson Silva. Too bad they won't fight each other. I know Dana will try to make it happen though.

Also, I think Shogun at 100% would make for an interesting fight. Rich Franklin might make for an interesting fight as well.

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Franklin is a waste of time (now watch, he'll beat Wanderlai) Anderson Silva would be the world's most boring fight. Shogun would be fun... I guess... Only if the Pride Shogun shows up. Which he's getting back to the old Shogun.

18. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow, Armen, no love for Rich at all! I think Rich is a better fighter at 205, I'll be anxious to see what he can do in that weight class. I still think he is a top fighter, even though Anderson made him look bad, but then again, Anderson usually does that.

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    on Sherdog .com they asked on a pole, who has the best chance of beating Machida. Franklin's name didn't even come up. I just hated that whole Dana White poster boy era. Hwt. Couture Lt. Hwt. Liddell, Mwt. Franklin, Wwt. Hughes Ltwt. Sherk. Even though I am a HUGE Couture fan!!! If Anderson did that to Franklin @ 185, Could you imagine what Machida would do at 205?!?!?!

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have to agree - Franklin is a more aggressive fighter, which plays well into Machida's strategy (counter striker). That's one main reason Anderson made Franklin look so bad, and probably also means Wanderlei knocks Franklin out early.

21. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #446 MikeMac, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    In the current LHW crop, I'd have to say Shogun or Rampage are the only two I can see giving Machida problems. Maybe Vera if he got back to being the old, hungry Vera and not the new, overpaid Vera.

A year ago, Liddell and Wanderlai would have been at the top of my list. Funny how fast things change.

22. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Rampage has had his lights turned off by lesser fighters than Machida. Right now The Dragon would destroy Rampage IMO.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    +1 unfortunately