PRAISE FOR THE VINTAGE THREADS | FerrariChat

PRAISE FOR THE VINTAGE THREADS

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 410SA, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #1 410SA, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Vintage is the best place to lose yourself for a few hours, where wonderful people with great memories share their passions with all of us.

I never cease to be amazed at the questions that are asked, and even more amazing, the incredibly detailed responses that follow, with pictures, documents and personal recollections of great cars from 50 years ago.

Thank you to all the contributors to this part of the FChat, where we don't have to suffer the ignorant opinions of people who have never laid eyes on a real Ferrari (Pre FIAT) and are angrily concerned about the stacked tailpipes and bulbous rear of the new California.

Long live the Vintage category. It should be right at the top of FChat.

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    for me its the education on the pe '60s road cars.

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Vintage....That's where I spend the most time. Learned so much!

Geno

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Likewise, what a learning curve!

We are very fortunate indeed, with the participation of so many who have the first hand knowledge, experience and last but not least the memories.

A BIG thank you to all!

6. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Indeed, well said and put in words. Although I do not belong in this awesome leagues of "Lords of Ferraris", 410SA has expressed my feelings in writing. Thanx for that. w/ smiles Jimmy

7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    +1

8. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    BEST F-chat section there is!!!!
    Its the main reason to be a member!!
    I want to thank everybody for their input and sharing the knowledge about these incredible cars!!

>The only true California is a 12 cilinder 250series Ferrari, its one of the best looking cars ever!<

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree! It's also a place to learn where the vertical exhaust of the new California was first used.

Best

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    .....and which is basically an ugly car (IMO)!

Ciao!
    Walter

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Amen! :)

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I second that, 410SA, and as of coming week I will no longer have to come as an introducee; I take delivery of a gorgeous 330GTC soon.... :)

The more I learn about these cars, the more special they become.

Onno

13. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The vintage section is, quite literally, a wonderful step back in time; even for those of us that don't have a vintage car!!

Thanks to all who keep contributing to this section.

Happy Holiday weekend to all......

14. gavin

gavin Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Gavin
    I come to the vintage section every morning after i read the paper allway puts a smile on my face.Thank you to all who post here. Gavin

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Congrats on your upcoming GTC. Of my 3 vintage the GTC is still the best balance and pleasure to drive anywhere and at anytime. Maybe you can post some pics when your new ride comes home.

And +1 on this fantastic section. I can think of no other source where you benefit from the guys that know so much and provide so much help to owners and enthusiasts.

A toast to the contributing guys and Rob Lay for pulling this together.

16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Just try and stop me! :)

It's funny - I feel like these '60ies Ferraris are like the automotive equivalent of "perhaps, when you have kids, you will understand". Sounds flippant, perhaps, but what I'm trying to say is: you need to grow up a little to understand them. They are so much more than just the best the automotive industry could muster 50 years ago. They were built with passion and soul, and if you just listen, you will hear the heartbeat. I just can't wait for this car to get really under my skin. It's going to be a summer to remember.

Onno

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #17 F1tommy, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
    It's a treasure for Ferrari enthusiasts. More memories and vintage photos
    that any Ferrari books I have seen(although you should still buy every book, photo ..ect. you can get your hands on). I also like the spirited debates that go on about cars people truly care about. I love to hear other opinions and viewpoints. I have learned alot since I started drooling on Ferrari's 30 years ago, but even more since I started reading the vintage threads.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo-Strictly 43rd Revival 2010-Chicago

18. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Well said, 410SA and all subsequent posters. Expressed exactly how I feel about Vintage. Just wish I had a vintage Ferrari and/or knew enough about them to contribute more. Mostly I just read and learn (which in itself is not so bad).

Cheers,

Neil

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Vintage is my favorite section on F-Chat! Well, except maybe for business and investment, but that requires a more active filter...

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agree, this section is one where its easy to spend a few hours just reading, there are so many great first hand experiences and tales of days gone by to enjoy. I have said it before but I think its worth repeating, Ferrari is dream and big thumbs up to those on the who share the dream so readily with us. Facts only take one far but for me whats makes this section so special is the way facts are combined with experiences.

Of course one learns so much here.

21. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    I can also effortlessly say that the Vintage section is my favourite section too.

Many stories here are awe inspiring, and some of the cars on show are simply biblical.

=)

22. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    I also have to give credit to the many contributors who seem to have endless time and knowledge to share. Too often the vintage car world it shrouded in secrecy and information is doled out on a need to know basis. Thanks for all the help guys...

23. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Onno,

Tell us more about the 330. What color, etc...

Geno

24. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    It is an amazing group of people clearly addicted to special cars that most can't help but respect and covet. I'm constantly amazed and humbled by the knowledge, experiences and incredibly detailed memories of a time and circumstance that I can only dream about. A different time when I believe the automotive experience, and perhaps even life, was just more fun, unencumbered by extraneous insulation from the senses that leave indelible marks on the mind of a true enthusiast. These are special marks that somehow transend time and bring us back to a moment, a feeling, a fond memory. Magically, it seems those with like minds can vicariously share in the experience as if we were there too. The smell of fuel, the sound of webers, the direct connections between man, machine and surroundings.

I was blessed with the opportunity to own one these special machines and in no small measure, this place helped make that happen. There's a reverance and sense of respect that I think can only be shared by those of like minds. The quality of people in this community is pretty impressive and readily apparent to those who read beyond just the written words. I'm quite certain I've interacted with folks that could buy me 1000 times over and I've never been made to feel inferior. Respect and humility seem to flow freely from those who have the least to prove and I can't help but respect and admire that.

I too find myself reading old posts and smiling ...as is I was there... part of the gang. Not much in life has that power and I too thank all the contributers for sharing the wealth of there experieinces with those of us that can only dream.

25. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Totally agree the best and most well informed section of Fchat, the innformation contained here is priceless