Anyone else using Windows 7? | FerrariChat

Anyone else using Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Andy348, May 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I just downloaded Windows 7 on my MacBook using Parallels. This is easily the greatest Windows OS yet. No real bugs/glitches and IE8 is hella fast. The UI is very nice, IMO not as nice as Leopard but certainly up there. I won't be switching back to PC for this but I can see myself using this more often. It ain't even a resource hog!

2. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've been running for a couple of months now and it's pretty nice. You're right about it not being a resource hog. Big improvement over Vista!

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I have the beta - haven't played with it in months but my impression was that it was much faster than Vista.

4. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yeah, definitey. Its a great OS.

I haven't even used Vista for more than an hour, so I can't really comment on it, but even from Vista - it works amazingly. The fact that I can run Windows and Leopard on my Mac at the same time with no problems or lags really makes the Apple tax worth while!

5. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I did a dual-boot, XP and Windows 7 beta as soon as I could get my hands on it. Windows 7 runs better on my 3 1/2 yr old laptop than XP does (I'm not even mentioning VISTA... it wouldn't run at all).

I am pretty much ready to make the switch over to Windows 7 RC as my single operating system... its such a huge improvement over the older Windows OSes.

I will be installing the RC within the next week, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm holding off on buying a new laptop until I can get Windows 7 with my laptop.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hmmmm..... I've managed to avoid Vista completely. But this is quite a recommendation - I can't say I'd call it the "greatest", I'd probably choose "the least ****ty!", but that's just me :D

Which MacBook are you running? Mines getting pretty long in the tooth, and even XP under Parallels grunts pretty heavily if I'm, eg, processing video. [I'm maxed at 2GB and the CPU is a core duo :( ] - Do you reckon it's worth a try?

TIA, cheers,
    Ian

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Running 7 on both a desktop and laptop, and so far very solid and stable. Only a couple of issues with the video card drivers, but that appears to have been resolved with the latest beta drivers from NVidia.

8. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #8 Andy348, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
    Sorry for taking so long to reply!

My MacBook specs:

2.1Ghz
    4GB Ram
    White model(don't know the Nvidia specs ATM)

It runs really really well. I'm using Parallels full screen with 1GB devoted to it as well as 1 Cpu. My temperature may raise abouyt 5-6 degrees, but thats the only thing. No lag!

I'm thinking of doing this on Bootcamp to see how well it can run but it seems quite tough to get it up and running.

I think yours would run just as well because you're only devoting a certain amount to it. If not, you've definitely got to try it on Bootcamp!

BTW, I've used Gizmodos guides the whole way through - they're great!

9. Systo

Systo Karting

Feb 15, 2007
    Plano
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I got Windows 7 to blue screen in about 45 seconds (not counting the initial setup time). I wasn't even trying to do it, nor have I been able to replicate it. After just 30 minutes I still remained thoroughly unimpressed and maintain that Windows 7 is Vista on a diet and in a "pretty" dress. Of course I'll be obligated to switch to it when I purchase a laptop near the end of this year/beginning of next so maybe then I'll enjoy it more.

For my Windows 7 machine I was using VMWare Fusion on my iMac (2GHz, 40GB preallocated space, and 1GB of RAM reserved for it).