Four point harness in 355 F1 cars? | FerrariChat

Four point harness in 355 F1 cars?

Discussion in '348/355' started by johan6504, May 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Took my 355 GTS F1 to the racetrack for the first time this year and have new ideas that need to be solved somehow….

Updates for this year are new challenge sways bars in front and rear, a Sparco pro 2000 bucket seat (borrowed from a friend) and new Pirelli tires. I am really happy with all the mods and the car behaves perfectly on the track, maybe a little more camber in front wouldn’t hurt so that’s coming up next. Funny enough the car feels better on the track than on the road. The progressive H&R spring gives the comfort that some like on the street (but doesn’t seem to give the optimum stability) but when on the track it seems that the spring gets compressed most of the time so it settles down better. I might consider new linear springs instead to get a more consistent behavior.

Now to my problem. The new seat made all the difference and I also want to put in a 4 point harness. I have seen some installations here on the forum but it seems to be 6-speed mostly. The simple solution is to weld in fixing points just behind the seat, but on a F1 car this place is blocked by the ECU for the F1 system. The second choice would be to put in a bar behind the seat, but since my car is a GTS I need this space for storing the roof (and I want to be able to put everything back to original). Has anyone seen a nice and reversible installation on a 355 GTS F1 car?

2. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #2 johan6504, May 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    Check with the safety rules of the group(s) you plan to run with. Very few allow 4-point harnesses anymore (in favor of 5 or 6 point), at least in my area. Some are also debating on not alowing a harness without a proper seat and roll bar.

4. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I am planning on using it for trackdays only so there wont be a roll bar/cage installed. But cince I got the racing seat I wanted to se if there is resonable way of putting in a racing harness as well.