FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread | FerrariChat

FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by zoRob, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    #1 zoRob, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    jsa330 likes this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nice idea. Good to see you guys are building!!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo-Strictly 43rd revival 2010-Chicago

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #3 moriaan1, May 22, 2009
    I build rarely, to busy running the businesses.
    But when I build a modell I allways try something special.
    It usually takes a year to complete one.
    I have a stack of old MG, Brianza and other 1:12 and 1:14 Ferrari's which will keep me busy untill, or after retirement (in 25 years).
    Allways looking for large kits! The CMA 166MM and the Ultimate P4 are some I would love to have..
    Besides building I collect rare older factorybuilt Brianza's and alike from the 1990's.

Currently I am working on a Masta daytona comp in 1:12

The P3 is a Minidelta by Patrice de Conto, one of my favorites.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #4 moriaan1, May 22, 2009
  5. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #5 Latsyrc, May 22, 2009
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #6 F1tommy, May 22, 2009
    Nice builds. Is that Masta(ex AMR) kit still available??

I sold my CMA 166, although it was a very nice kit. I dont like 1/14th scale.
    The 512BBLM was done by AMR, and I did have one of them. The European Univesity colors were boring to me. The cloud 3M is my favorite.

Here are a few of mine, all in 1/24th scale.

Keep them coming!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo -Strictly 43rd revival 2010

7. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Tom,
    F-chatmember desire308 is selling an original Titan daytona on ebay right now!
    Masta still has them they are from Belgium www.masta.be

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thanks.. I thought they were out of production since no one carries them anymore very much. I always thought the TITAN/Masta Daytona side window was a little odd looking, so I never bought one. Otherwise a nice model. I may have to get one since I think the window could be fixed(hell, I fixed all the mistakes on the Hiro 312!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo -Strictly 43rd revival 2010-Chicago

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #10 F1tommy, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Great job. Its the fantasy 599 model section. I hope they do race it at Lemans someday, although I bet it wont look that good!!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo -Strictly 43rd Revival 2010-Chicago

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    The 599XX should give you a good idea of a 599GT1! :)

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Wow, now that looks exiting! Can't wait to see it finished.

I am absolutely no builder myself.

12. litespeed1

litespeed1 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    Wow-F1 Tommy-who makes the outrageous "bundle of snakes" number 18 vintage f-1 racer?
    My favorite old Ferrari f-1 car!

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #14 Martin308GTB, May 24, 2009
    JOEV likes this.
  14. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Perfect build Martin!

I have the same PM nodell, but didn't build it myself..

15. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #16 Latsyrc, May 24, 2009
  16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #17 Martin308GTB, May 24, 2009
    you saved yourself a lot of f....words. ( not Ferrari ) :))

Hans; I'm glad that you like it :) It seems, that we have similar preferences regarding scales. Either big ( 1:12 ) or tiny ( 1:43 ). I really like those french Provence Moulage kits and this superdetailed thing was the best they ever did. But even the simple kits with all their imperfections have their special charm.
    Would you mind showing some photos of yours ? I know mine has a little error in the livery. I wanted to have this kit for years, but never found one. In the end I purchased one via ebay for little money, but it was the yellow 'Harksound'-livery version which I didn't like so much as the 'cloud car'. So I simply purchased a FDS decal set from a seller in Italy and did the conversion.
    For the paint scheme I didn't use the decals, but painted it. In the end I clearcoated the whole thing over the paint and decals with automotive two-pack laquer. The mentioned error is the BB 512 decal on the hood mesh. Correct would be a 3M decal, but the same error was on the aftermarket decal sheet. So I used it and relaxed :)

BTW, photo below shows, that I think is one of the rarest PM kits, I found 4 years ago. No Ferrari, but a beautiful 60s race car.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

17. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Those are great shots. I need to get my hands on a larger scale model so I can try doing some more detailed things. I'm not sure if my hands are steady enough for the 1:43 scale. :)

Do you guys mainly use airbrush/cans for painting? I have some pieces I have to do w/ brush but they always look bad. Any tips?

18. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I will look up some pics.

The 512BBLM is a 20 year anniversary kit PM made in a limited edition.
    The most detailled they have done, and its pretty rare!

After that PM closed down, and Heco took over the molds and stock.

There is some controversy considering the color of the body.
    Mouse grey- red or white-red

My 1:14 andrea Cioni Cloudcar is mouse grey..

regards

Hans

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Regarding the body color. I took, what the assembly instructions said. I got a photocopy from someone, because - like said - I only had the Harksound livery instructions. In the assembly instructions the ' white ' is designated as ' Mercedes-Benz - 717 Papyrusweiss, which is actually a light grey.
    With pure white the birds would disappear completely.

Best Regards

Martin

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    depends on the application. On those 1/43s with such paint schemes I use an automotive spray can with primer first. Then an automotive spray can for the lighter color with which I spray the whole body. Then I mask with Tamiya tape and spray the darker color with an airbrush. Then the decals and then a ' decal-friendly ' automotive clearcoat out of a spray can. It's important to paint several thin layers. After a thorough drying time of several days I make the final clearcoat with two pack automotive laquer out of a professional SATA mini spray gun with a 0.5mm nozzle.

Plastic kits are a whole different story. Painting them with my resin kit method is a risk, because the materials I use for resin or metal may eat the plastic. And with the special modeler paints like Tamiya you NEVER get the same results. At least I wasn't able to do so yet.

Martin

21. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    Very nice job on the 3M BB512LM!

22. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I have an airbrush which I am still getting the hang of but it's well worth getting one when you can. To avoid getting brush marks if you have to brush something you could try adding a bit of thinners to the paint. I hate brush marks so try to airbrush as much as possible.

Great builds everyone! :)

23. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Thanks for the advice. I use my airbrush for the majority of things and have only done plastic models. The resin and metal kits are a bit out of my price range for now.

Ask my wife, I'm the clumsiest, most uncoordinated person you'll ever meet. :) I've built some models in the past but recently got back into it to help with my coordination. (Diabetes doesn't help shaky hands :) )I've been practicing with the paint and airflow of the aribrush and love the results. As far as the body goes, I use primer, then Tamiya acrylic model paints and do 3-5 coats depending on the color. I sand the primer with 1200 grit prior to painting. I then clear coat at least 2 coats. That also gets sanded. I do the decals and finish with 2 more coats of clear.

Also, for example, on the rollcage of my build in the thread, I hate the small spacing in the joints. Same goes for the engine. Do you guys typcially build the piece then paint?

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #25 Martin308GTB, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
    do you use the Tamiya X-colors in the glass bottle or the TS spray cans ? What I hate with the Tamiya paints is the eternal drying time and that they lose their gloss. And the most annoying thing is, that I never achieve a mirror like finish after spraying like with my SATA spray gun and two pack automotive laquer.
    So you have to polish the Tamiya paint endlessly. And - more annoying - if you didn't wait for weeks between painting and polishing - the spray texture comes back.
    I once achieved a mirror like result after polishing the Tamiya TS clearcoat only to discover some days later that the texture came back. Second polishing led to the result that I went through the clear coat.
    With my next plastic kit project I will try the Zero Paints especially developed for plastic kits. They are base coats with two pack clear coat - plastic and decal friendly. Harcore modelers seem to be excited about those paints and they are surprisingly cheap.
    Because my next 1:12 project will be a very rare Protar Ferrari 312 T2 I will first do some tests with some cheap crap I will purchase on ebay.

I'm just an occasional modeler and only find the time during winter, when there are no big projects on my 1:1 cars ( Ferrari 308 GTB and '72 Alfa Romeo coupé ) what's rarely the case :)

Martin