GearBox oil change on TR (bolt sizes) | FerrariChat

GearBox oil change on TR (bolt sizes)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Steve Magnusson, May 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #1 Steve Magnusson, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
    I rec'd the following PM from Adam, but I am responding here because I need to post photos (and can't do that in a PM):

START MESSAGE
    Steve;

I think the bottom drain bolts at 42MM (socket or open end wrench), do you know what the other two on the sides are? 17MM & 19mm?

BTW, any trick to getting the bottom plug out, the one that I think is 19mm? Looks like you would stick a allen drive in there and then use an open end wrench to turn as there does not look like enough room for a socket wrench.

Adam
    END MESSAGE

Adam -- I'm not sure that all TRs have the exact same drive features on all of the various plugs. For example, in this (early) illustration from the TR OM, drain plug "A" for the transfer gear case looks to me to be drawn with a male hex feature, but on my (late) TR, this plug has a female 10mm hex feature:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

So with that caveat, here is a description of the drive features on the various plugs for the gearbox on my particular TR:

Transfer Gear Housing Drain Plug "A" = 10mm female hex

Main Gearbox Reservoir Drain Plugs "B" = 42mm male hex -- I use a 12-point 1 5/8" Craftsman socket that barely fits.

Main Gearbox Reservoir Fill/Level Plug "C" = 12mm female hex -- This one is tricky as the frame crossmember limits the access -- I cut down a 12mm Craftsman hex wrench as shown in this jpeg (and then slip a short piece of pipe onto the long leg to get enough drive leverage):

Transfer Gear Housing Fill Plug "D" = 12mm female hex

I don't really follow your description "...what the other two on the sides are" - as the only plugs you should be fiddling with are A, B, C, and D. If you need anything else, or if you have some different drive features on your various gearbox drain/fill plugs, please post.

2. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Steve...thanks very much....Plug B is a 42MM (checked with calipers.... A C & D where the one's I was confused with....Robbie thought they were 17 & 19MM.

Adam

3. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Ok...all set...picked up a 1 5/8" 12pt ...as you said just fits....also a 12mm hex key, which fits both c & d. I will cut down as stated.
    Adam

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #4 Mr.Chairman, May 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greetings.. o.k. in review you guys are right it is a 12mm. I don't know why I was thinking 17mm & 19mm but when looking all three came together in a set and the 17 and 19 just stuck out for me.. Adam glad you have the size now for the task at hand. I took some photos on how I used my 12MM socket and wrench to remove the filler plug. This worked for me. I think a ratchet wrench would work even better. I did it old school having to pull the socket out and in to continue removing the filler plug..

R

5. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Do I have to have my pinkie out for the process to work, as if I am drinking a cup of tea?

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes!!! more like when your drinking espresso.. lol

7. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Steve / Robbie;

I cut down the 12mm Allen tonight, and while I was going to use the cut off in a socket like you showed for the fill plug, I was thinking that if I used a 12mm 1/4 drive socket with a u-joint and extension it would fit between the cross member and the bottom of the trans housing, as plug "C" is just a few mm higher than the gap. I put it together, and dry fit it, as I will not do the trans oil change until the AM (neighbors would have a fit with my exhaust note at 10:30pm) and it fit perfectly. I am wondering if this may be a bit easier than using the Allen key and a pipe? Thoughts?

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If it works for you -- why not? As they say "six of one or a half dozen of another" ;)

9. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I agree as well.. Whatever gets the job done. Just make sure that it is seated well so when you apply torque it doesn't slip and strip. You may want to spray some PB Blaster or freeze off on those plugs. The overnite soaking may make your life easier tomorrow. Let me know if you need some help. I'll be around tomorrow.

R

10. carcollector

carcollector Karting

Apr 23, 2006
    palo alto
    Full Name:
    Chris M.
    Steve's method has always worked for me.

11. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    All done....Could not get the two bottom 42MM plugs to budge. Used a breaker bar and nothing....finally put a pipe at the end of that and crack...they moved....The plugs with the magnates had some shavings, but not too much. Used Robbies trick with the hose which worked well. Got everything buttoned up, and took it for a spin...what a difference the Royal Purple makes to the trans. Not sure what was in it before, but this is like having a new trans. Silky smooth upshifts and downshifts that used to be awful actually move like they are suppose to.

Very pleased.....How often is one suppose to change the gear oil?
    Adam

12. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    How many bottles of gear oil did she take?

R

13. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    9.5 bottles...just like it should...just put it back on the lift to check all the plugs, and everything bone dry....but I do still have a slight weep at the oil filter. I put the wrench on it and made sure it was tight this morning, but still a weep just now....not sure why it would leak....

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #14 Mr.Chairman, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    Not sure either but the old filter was on pretty tight. Tighter than usual. Maybe they had the same problem at your last oil change. Oil filters really don't need to be so over tight. Keep on eye on it.. I am curious to see of you shaft seal stops leaking after the gear oil change.

R

15. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am getting ready to do the engine and gear oil changes. I just picked up the castrol 20W50, ZDDP additive, and ordered the Royal Purple gear oil.

My question is, what are the appropriate torque settings for the engine oil and gear oil plugs. I know on my 308 it is 25 ft/lbs, but still searching for the TR torque settings. Any help would be appreciated.